eat this, not that

Options
kayte660
kayte660 Posts: 40 Member
edited February 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
So I know that as long as food fits in your calories, there's no "bad foods." But sometimes I want chips, and eating 4 is not going to happen, but the longer I deny the worse it gets. Anyone have any foods that they have learned kill the craving for higher calorie, no nutrition foods?

For me, popcorn helps kill that mindless snacking urge for less calories and fat, or if I want something with salt, ill have a couple of pitted olives and a few pieces of herbed garlic and that helps. Any substitutions you guys can offer would be nice :) Not just for chips, just anything you've learned replaces a craving for something less healthy with something with more to offer.

Replies

• jessjess6791
    jessjess6791 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Hot tea with a sweet n' low :smiley:
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    sugar free gum
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Why don't you just pre-log chips or log them for tomorrow if you are out of calories for the day :neutral_face:

Also why would yuo only eat 4 chips? Seriously, if I have 300 cals left and I'm craving chips, I'm going to eat 300 cals worth of chips.
  • kayte660
    kayte660 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Because chips are full of things that are bad for your heart and cholesterol. The person i live with is battling high cholesterol and the start of fatty liver, and so the health aspects of this are forefront on our minds, and eating 300 calories of chips aren't. People who can't just answer in the spirit of the question make asking questions here pointless.
  • volleygirl1980
    volleygirl1980 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I make kale chips (kale, olive oil and sea salt)...or edamame..my almost 3 year old loves both!

To satisfy a sweet craving...piña colada tetley tea or greek yogurt with half a banana and roasted coconut flakes...delicious!
  • ana3067
    edited February 2015
    Options
    kayte660 wrote: »
    Because chips are full of things that are bad for your heart and cholesterol. The person i live with is battling high cholesterol and the start of fatty liver, and so the health aspects of this are forefront on our minds, and eating 300 calories of chips aren't. People who can't just answer in the spirit of the question make asking questions here pointless.

And is your entire day just a diet of chips? No? Then eating 300 calories worth of chips today in the grand scheme of your entire diet will not kill you.

If you were asking this because you wanted advice tailored towards someone who needs to lower their cholesterol, then you probably should have, you know, specified that in your OP.

And I did answer in the spirit of the question.
    "Anyone have any foods that they have learned kill the craving for higher calorie, no nutrition foods?"
    My answer is that I do not substitute the craving or try to "kill" the craving. I eat what I crave when it fits my calories and macros.
  • higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I freeze yogurt. It actually takes my mind off wanting to eat a pint of ice cream. Because ice cream is a trigger food for me, so I try to eat it minimally. Like at restaurants where I'm limited to the number of scoops in the food the server brings me, lol.
  • mfp2014mfp
    mfp2014mfp Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    In the spirit of the OPs post, this may sound odd, but if Im craving sweet things I eat roast pumpkin or dates, Im all for finding nutrionally dense food that fills my cravings.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    There are no really bad and good foods.

For medical reasons i cant have much salt or sugar. Well not much.
    But sure i can have some chips. Its all about a balanced diet.
    My stats are after 3 months of my "new" life style, excellent again And that after a very high blood sugar and blood pressure.

But i eat, what you call bad foods, in moderation. Portion control is what it is about.
    And for chips when i want them i can have them.
    Of course when i crave a whole bag i am in trouble. And not even the weight.

I eat a very balanced diet now and can eat in that what i want. And when i have a high cholesterol yes than certain things are bad. But that doesn't mean that chips causes high cholesterol.

Two words are causing health problems when it is caused by food, and that is "TOO MUCH"

And to answer about the cravings, i didn't replace anything
    I dont have cravings at all. I eat what i want and like. That is how it works for me, so i dont get hungry or cravings.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I like Special K cracker chips. They're crunchy and salty, so they usually hit the spot.
  • Tblackdogs
    Tblackdogs Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I like rice cakes. They're crunchy, can be salty or sweet. I buy the plain ones and then eat stuff like peanut butter or cream cheese on them. I once took some to the movies but my husband and kids were embarrassed at how loud they were!
  • THachAb
    THachAb Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Sparkling water in place of pop. I second the popcorn in place of chips! Frozen grapes are a sweet treat in place of candy.
  • ana3067
    Options
    There are no really bad and good foods.

For medical reasons i cant have much salt or sugar. Well not much.
    But sure i can have some chips. Its all about a balanced diet.
    My stats are after 3 months of my "new" life style, excellent again And that after a very high blood sugar and blood pressure.

But i eat, what you call bad foods, in moderation. Portion control is what it is about.
    And for chips when i want them i can have them.
    Of course when i crave a whole bag i am in trouble. And not even the weight.

I eat a very balanced diet now and can eat in that what i want. And when i have a high cholesterol yes than certain things are bad. But that doesn't mean that chips causes high cholesterol.

Two words are causing health problems when it is caused by food, and that is "TOO MUCH"

And to answer about the cravings, i didn't replace anything
    I dont have cravings at all. I eat what i want and like. That is how it works for me, so i dont get hungry or cravings.

agreed. Although I do get cravings sometimes, usually when I'm hungry and thinking abuot what I want to eat lol. BUt it's not like "i'm craving a whole cake." More like "I really want something sugary" so I'll go eat one of my GF donuts. then I'm usually good for the day. I recently was really craving chocolate, wound up eating 3-4 pieces a day for a few days. When I used to crave chocolate I ate 3-4 BOXES instead! Moderation is an amazing thing.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

agreed. Although I do get cravings sometimes, usually when I'm hungry and thinking abuot what I want to eat lol. BUt it's not like "i'm craving a whole cake." More like "I really want something sugary" so I'll go eat one of my GF donuts. then I'm usually good for the day. I recently was really craving chocolate, wound up eating 3-4 pieces a day for a few days. When I used to crave chocolate I ate 3-4 BOXES instead! Moderation is an amazing thing.[/quote]

Well yes in that way i have my little tricks too. I like to make oats with cinnamon and cocoa powder and almond milk.
    When i am more "hungry" than usual ( i call it not hungry but having an appetite) i always have some almonds by hand. or my Fiber One bars. But its rare. I learned myself to eat at certain times and when i have an appetite in between i wait it out. I wont die of hunger in the mean time lol.
    But like i said its rare. I eat 3 main meals and 3 snacks a day so it is nice spread out over the day.
    And that is how works for me, dont mean that it works for somebody else too btw.

• dieter1200
    dieter1200 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    chips or anything else is fine if they fit in your calories, but alternatives when I get the munches are popcorn, sunflower seeds in the shell, kashi hummus crisps (can only find them at holiday gas stations around here), wheat goldfish crackers, cheese its, or pretzels.
  • SandyBVTN
    SandyBVTN Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I like popcorn in place of chips too, and spiralized zucchini instead of pasta on occasion. If I'm just generally snacky for something sweet and crunchy usually celery with peanut butter and raisins does the trick. I also love a bowl of plain yogurt with sliced bananas and a few chocolate chips - it feels treaty but also satisfies hunger. I also second kake chips for a salty crunchy snack. I'm also cutting back on my wine intake a bit and I find a dry white wine spritzer is a nice sub.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    I make coconut oil fat bombs for when I'm craving something sweet, or just feel like snacking constantly.

Just add flavorings (vanilla, unsweetened cocoa, extracts or immitation flavors like butter and mint) plus a sweetener (honey, stevia, splenda, whatever) and mix it really well, then pipe it through a pastry bag (or cut the corner off a ziploc bag) into drops about the size of a Hershey's kiss, or a little smaller. Stick them in the freezer for about 10 minutes, then gather them all up into a freezer bag.

They end up around 20 cals apiece, depending on the size and sweetener used, and a couple of them really satisfies the urge for something sweet, and it sticks with me because of the fats.