Misconceptions from our loved ones

Options
Just about everyone in my family has struggled with an eating or a weight problem at some point in their lives. Many have diabetes and have to follow some guidelines for eating. I can't help but to laugh, though because often they abide by nutrition/weight loss misconceptions. Just today my grandma told my mom not to eat after 7pm for weight loss.

Are there misconceptions that loved ones have said to you during your journey/period of weight loss/gain?

Replies

• SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Conditions, genetics, meal timing, forbidden foods, cheat days, starvation mode, meal frequency, cleanses, detoxing, diet pills, bad carbs, bad foods, only liquids, no sugar, low carb, paleo, Atkins, my thyroid, my hormones, my age, my pregnancy, my menopause, magic snake oil supplements, liquids don't have calories, good calories cancel out bad, exercise is necessary, eat more to lose weight, eating disorders, drug side effects, unspecified/undiagnosed diseases, food addiction, sugar addiction, water retention, healthy eating ...

Everything but Caloric Deficit and discipline/self-control

The list is endless ... and that's just what I've seen here in these forums ... today.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    Thyroid and hormones are certainly very real issues for many people, but they don't preclude caloric deficit, self-discipline and self control.

Those of us with real, serious medical conditions absolutely have to work hard--much harder than many of you do.
  • vickierivero1
    vickierivero1 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I agree with azulvioleta6. Until you have an UNdiagnosed disease... or thyroid issue dont even say anything like you did. Some of us do struggle with real conditions such as some you noted. If you think it is such a joke, perhaps you should ask a doctor about how it can affect someone. It can be a nightmare!
  • SergeantSausage
    Options
    dont even say anything like you did.

I'll say anything I choose.

• millionairesstv
    millionairesstv Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Conditions, genetics, meal timing, forbidden foods, cheat days, starvation mode, meal frequency, cleanses, detoxing, diet pills, bad carbs, bad foods, only liquids, no sugar, low carb, paleo, Atkins, my thyroid, my hormones, my age, my pregnancy, my menopause, magic snake oil supplements, liquids don't have calories, good calories cancel out bad, exercise is necessary, eat more to lose weight, eating disorders, drug side effects, unspecified/undiagnosed diseases, food addiction, sugar addiction, water retention, healthy eating ...

The list is endless ... and that's just what I've seen here in these forums ... today.
    great wisdom from a fellow mfp thanks for sharing
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,986 Member
    Options

Quite a few of those are genuine issues though like drug side effects, age, pregnancy, menopause, eating disorders and nothing wrong with low carb or cheat days, if they work for people, that's fine.

Not saying calorie deficit and self control are not required - but that doesn't make the other issues irrelevant.

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Menopause isn't relevant. Sure, your lean body mass might decrease because most women tend to slow down when we get here, but as someone who last undertook a major diet in her 30's (Atkins)? I'm losing weight more quickly and easily now than I did then. AND... my thyroid is worse now than it was then. It's practically dead.

It really, really just comes down to CICO.

The thing is, sometimes in life, our situations change and we have to adjust our intake/activity to account for it. They are reasons for weight gain, not excuses for keeping it on.
  • jazzy550
    jazzy550 Posts: 264 Member
    Options

I

LOL!!!!!!!!

• jazzy550
    jazzy550 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Menopause isn't relevant. Sure, your lean body mass might decrease because most women tend to slow down when we get here, but as someone who last undertook a major diet in her 30's (Atkins)? I'm losing weight more quickly and easily now than I did then. AND... my thyroid is worse now than it was then. It's practically dead.

The thing is, sometimes in life, our situations change and we have to adjust our intake/activity to account for it. They are reasons for weight gain, not excuses for keeping it on.

I'd have to disagree with this. I am pushing 51 and all I have to do to gain weight after I reach goal is breathe on a bag of chips! Older women simply don't need as many calories and exercise is more important than ever. All the women I know in my age group who are thin and stay thin tell me the same thing, they just can't eat as much as they use to. When I reach goal, (this time, haha!) my maintenance intake is going to be far less then 2000 calories I can tell ya that. Just an observation.... B)<3o:)
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    jazzy550 wrote: »

I'd have to disagree with this. I am pushing 51 and all I have to do to gain weight after I reach goal is breathe on a bag of chips! Older women simply don't need as many calories and exercise is more important than ever. All the women I know in my age group who are thin and stay thin tell me the same thing, they just can't eat as much as they use to. When I reach goal, (this time, haha!) my maintenance intake is going to be far less then 2000 calories I can tell ya that. Just an observation.... B)<3o:)

Did you read my last paragraph? I didn't say anything that contradicts what you're saying. Menopause is a reason for weight gain, but it's not an excuse for keeping it on.

• Ooci
    Ooci Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    My mother has told me repeatedly I'll need to reduce to 1000 cals a day to hit goal!!! Such nonsense! And she says it whilst piling my plate high with her amazing food. Basically, she doesn't want me to leave her - we're the same weight right now.
  • Danilynn1975
    Danilynn1975 Posts: 294 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    to the person saying thyroid issues are no big deal.

come talk to me after you experience clumps of hair coming out. And eye lash loss.

these pics are 2 months old and it has gotten considerably worse. All my eyelashes on the bottom are gone now.

q3tr1k6nxgmn.jpg

td4hwnae27wa.jpg

• JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    I sadly have a few relatives who haven't figured out that Dr Oz is a quack yet. He shills it, they try it. It's essential oils right now.
  • PearlAng
    PearlAng Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    I sadly have a few relatives who haven't figured out that Dr Oz is a quack yet. He shills it, they try it. It's essential oils right now.
    This is my dad. He also told me I should drink a big glass of water before each meal so I won't eat as much. I was like "what? Why should I even do that" because I rarely exceed 400 calories per meal, unless I'm grazing or I'm out to eat. Usually it's snacking, going out to eat or just nonsense eating that puts me over my calories, not overeating at meals. I'm also at a healthy weight for my height and I'm in "quasi-maintenance" (I'd still like to lose another 2 lbs, maybe)
  • mwm158
    mwm158 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Drug side effects are a real thing. Pump yourself full of prednisone for a few years and see how your diet is working out for you. It's a great way to see just how much control you really have over your eating...
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options

I <3 you! And yes, some of those things (diagnosed thyroid condition, congenital spine anomaly, former battle with BED) apply directly to me to make my road a little different than "normal."

But...I still managed to lose 25lbs over 8 months (just like "everyone else" can do), found an exercise plan (with modifications) that works for me that puts little to no pressure on my spine, and never once allowed real life conditions to be my excuses to give up on fitness.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options

I <3 you! And yes, some of those things (diagnosed thyroid condition, congenital spine anomaly, former battle with BED) apply directly to me to make my road a little different than "normal."

But...I still managed to lose 25lbs over 8 months (just like "everyone else" can do), found an exercise plan (with modifications) that works for me that puts little to no pressure on my spine, and never once allowed real life conditions to be my excuses to give up on fitness.

The question was misconceptions, not excuses. He's saying your diagnosed things have 0 effect, and you don't need to do those modifications.
  • SergeantSausage
    edited February 2015
    Options

The question was misconceptions, not excuses. He's saying your diagnosed things have 0 effect, and you don't need to do those modifications.

That's nice.

You know better than I do what I'm saying, right?

You stating things that aren't anywhere to be found in my actual text, right?

How nice ...

<boggle>

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Meal timing, meal frequency, don't eat <certain foods> are the biggest ones.
  • PeachyCarol
    edited February 2015
    Options

He said no such thing. I'm not white knighting here, but yeah, he was talking about excuses. I'm pretty sure that the context of his own post outside of the context of the thread was clear enough.