Weight loss advise needed

Options
Hello all Smart people here

I need your suggestions!

My height 5.5 inch
My current weight is 81 kg and I would like to keep it down to 68kg as suggested by my doctor. My cholesterol levels are at the borderline stage.
I would like to keep it normal.

My goal is to reduce my body fat and look like an athlete. I would love to have 6 pack abs.

I am doing 45 minutes of cardio (treadmill, Elliptical trainer, standing bicycle) daily.
I can do it even more than that but my gym coach doesn't recommend that.
I also do weight training everyday. I recently started lifting heavy weight according to my own standards.
I workout 6 days in a week Sunday off.

How should I proceed towards my goal. I don't want to be muscular with the same body weight as recommended by my doctor.
I would like to continue to reduce my weight and simultaneous gain muscle.

Waiting to hear from you.

Thanks,
Sati

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    eat in caloric deficit
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    eat in caloric deficit

While tracking protein macros (0.8x your total weight in lbs as a general minimum) and lifting heavy weights to help maintain lean mass. 0.5-1lb/week loss rate at most.

Why are you doing over 5 hours of cardio a week? That's sad. You also do not need to lift 6x a week. 3x full body or 4x upper/lower split will work for the majority of lifters. Especially newbies.

You will not gain muscle while in a caloric deficit.
  • lisakirt
    lisakirt Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    eat in caloric deficit

While tracking protein macros (0.8x your total weight in lbs as a general minimum) and lifting heavy weights to help maintain lean mass. 0.5-1lb/week loss rate at most.

Why are you doing over 5 hours of cardio a week? That's sad. You also do not need to lift 6x a week. 3x full body or 4x upper/lower split will work for the majority of lifters. Especially newbies.

Why will you not gain muscle..I really don't know not being a smarty? If I'm losing weight and working out will it not turn to muscle?
  • ana3067
    Options
    lisakirt wrote: »
    eat in caloric deficit

Why will you not gain muscle..I really don't know not being a smarty? If I'm losing weight and working out will it not turn to muscle?

You need a caloric surplus to gain weight and thus gain muscle. You can increase strength and lower body fat percentage while eating at a caloric deficit. So you can LOOK more muscular, but you haven't put on any mass. Newbies to lifting can put on a small, tiny amount of muscle, but it's not going to be a significant amount. Especially when combining eating at a deficit.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    eat in caloric deficit

Your body needs excess calories in order to build more muscle tissue. If you're eating at a deficit, then you have no extra calories...in fact, your body might even canablize the muscle you already have in order to make up the difference in calories in vs. calories out. This is why it is recommended that you lift while eating at a deficit, so that your body is prompted to hang on to the muscle it has instead of breaking it down for energy, and it will break down the fat instead.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I would like to continue to reduce my weight and simultaneous (sic) gain muscle.
    That's going to be hard to do. Eating at a calorie deficit is not conducive to building tissue.
    (That being said, according to one calculator in the last year I've lost 81 lb of fat & gained 4 lb of lean body mass. Could be muscle, could be denser bones, could be a calculation error.)
    Why are you doing over 5 hours of cardio a week
    The most efficient way to burn calories is cardio. It is also, as its name implies, good for the heart.

"Most weight loss occurs because of decreased caloric intake.
    However, evidence shows the only way to maintain weight loss is to be engaged in regular physical activity."

http://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/physical_activity/index.html

OP: to lose weight, eat at a slight calorie deficit. With only 13 kg / 28 lb to lose, it would be reasonable to aim for 1 kilo or less a month, or about 0.5 lb per week. Figure out what you're eating now, and cut 250 calories a day from that. Give it a few weeks, and if you're not losing nudge it down another 25-50 calories, give it a few more weeks to see results. Repeat as needed.

To maintain as much muscle mass as possible while you're doing it, eat a higher % of your calories from protein, staying within the healthy range, and move heavy things several times a week.

Here's a table which explains the healthy macro ranges:
    http://www.iom.edu/Global/News%20Announcements/~/media/C5CD2DD7840544979A549EC47E56A02B.ashx

page 1, carbs, 45 - 65% of calories (4 cal per gram)
    page 2, fat, 20 - 35% of calories (9 cal per gram)
    page 4, protein, 10 - 35% of calories (4 cal per gram)

51637601.png
  • ana3067
    Options
    MKEgal wrote: »
    I would like to continue to reduce my weight and simultaneous (sic) gain muscle.
    That's going to be hard to do. Eating at a calorie deficit is not conducive to building tissue.
    (That being said, according to one calculator in the last year I've lost 81 lb of fat & gained 4 lb of lean body mass. Could be muscle, could be denser bones, could be a calculation error.)
    The most efficient way to burn calories is cardio. It is also, as its name implies, good for the heart.

However, evidence shows the only way to maintain weight loss is to be engaged in regular physical activity."

OP: to lose weight, eat at a slight calorie deficit. With only 13 kg / 28 lb to lose, it would be reasonable to aim for 1 kilo or less a month, or about 0.5 lb per week. Figure out what you're eating now, and cut 250 calories a day from that. Give it a few weeks, and if you're not losing nudge it down another 25-50 calories, give it a few more weeks to see results. Repeat as needed.

To maintain as much muscle mass as possible while you're doing it, eat a higher % of your calories from protein, staying within the healthy range, and move heavy things several times a week.

http://www.iom.edu/Global/News%20Announcements/~/media/C5CD2DD7840544979A549EC47E56A02B.ashx

51637601.png

And there is no reason to do 5 hours of cardio a week. Especially when one's goals are to lower body fat and maintain lean body mass. I don't even do 5 hours of exercise a week, period, and he is doing over 5 hours for JUST cardio. He is doing more exercise than he needs to be doing.

CICO to lose weight. Exercise is not required for this to work. Exercise is only required if one does not track their caloric intake, meaning they create their deficit from exercise.
  • Level1Vegan
    Level1Vegan Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    As Andi Peters put it... Abs are built in the kitchen, not the gym.
    He got ripped by slimming right down first and then working on polishing off those muscles.
  • satisatisati
    satisatisati Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    eat in caloric deficit
    hi I have been eating in deficit which is the reason I am able to loose my weight from 84 kg to 80 kg now.
  • satisatisati
    Options
    eat in caloric deficit

Hi I am eating 30-35 % of protein in my diet on a daily basis as recomended by MFP application for my goal weight.

The reason I am doing 5 hours cardo a week is because in last 3 months, I am able to loose 3 kg of weight. If I would have done lesser than that, then I know three kg loss of weight wouldn't have been possible. I used to play tennis for couple of hours everyday earlier.
    So my body is able to do that much workout everyday.

I am combining weight training together with cardio because. If i do more cardio than 45 mints a day, it will not be good for my knees. Thats why i am doing weight training as that also helps to loose fat I guess.
  • satisatisati
    Options
    eat in caloric deficit

Your body needs excess calories in order to build more muscle tissue. If you're eating at a deficit, then you have no extra calories...in fact, your body might even canablize the muscle you already have in order to make up the difference in calories in vs. calories out. This is why it is recommended that you lift while eating at a deficit, so that your body is prompted to hang on to the muscle it has instead of breaking it down for energy, and it will break down the fat instead.

Nice Suggestion.
  • satisatisati
    Options
    MKEgal wrote: »

51637601.png

I am using MFP app for my goals and I am keeping a calorie deficit of 500 calories. I am only eating half of what I used to eat when I was not doing any physical exercise. I have lost 3 kg so far in 3 months following the same routine. I will surely follow your suggestion to increase my protein intake as it will help me retaining my muscle.

Thanks
  • satisatisati
    Options
    jemcad13 wrote: »
    As Andi Peters put it... Abs are built in the kitchen, not the gym.
    He got ripped by slimming right down first and then working on polishing off those muscles.
    who is andi peters? Can you please tell me I will read more about this
  • billyfleet1988
    Options
    From my personal experience:

1. Cardio isn't need at all. My only source of cardio is kickboxing and ice hockey. No stationary bike, treadmill, stepper...nothing.

2. To optimally lose weight. CALORIE DEFICIT, you'll need to find your TDEE. This may take some experimenting. I like my macros set as high protein and fat with low carbs.

3. Focus on either cutting weight or gaining muscle at a time.

4. Lift heavy with consistent intensity. However don't throw lifting form out the window just to throw on more weight.

5. As you lose fat, you tend to look more muscular when you have a solid base.

6. Compound movements are best. Squats, bench and deadlifts.

7. Choose clean macro sources. Don't cheat yourself and expect results.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

1. Cardio isn't need at all. My only source of cardio is kickboxing and ice hockey. No stationary bike, treadmill, stepper...nothing.

To be clear, I don't think anyone here thinks that cardio only means a treadmill, stationary bike, or stepper. You saying you don't need cardio at all but then say you do cardio in kickboxing and ice hockey is kind of ironic.

That's like saying I don't do cardio. I don't need it. I do ride my bike for 20 hours per week though...

• billyfleet1988
    Options
    I just included what I do for the sake of sharing info. I successfully lost 30 lbs with no hockey, kickboxing or any other form of cardio while at a desk job.

My point was that cardio isn't the key to fat loss. It can be a useful tool but it's not essential. I'm also speaking strictly in terms of weight loss, not overall cardiovascular health. Diet is king. Like I said that's from my personal experience.

Thanks for clearing that up!
  • satisatisati
    Options

Since I dont do any physical exercise all day. I do a desk job where i have to sit all day.
    So that is the reason I prefer doing at least 30-45 mins of cardio every day.
    I feel very good all day after doing cardio workout. I can see some improvement in inches around my waist area. My chest is also streched now. It was quite loose earlier like a lady.
    I think i am getting benefited by doing HIIT cardio.

3. To optimally lose weight. CALORIE DEFICIT, you'll need to find your TDEE. This may take some experimenting. I like my macros set as high protein and fat with low carbs.

I have done calcuations using IIFYM calculator and I am only eating 1560 calories a day.

3. Focus on either cutting weight or gaining muscle at a time.
    My gym coach and some people here have suggested me that lifting weights also helps burning fat. So thats why I started lifting weights too and reduced my cardio workout from 1 hour to 30-45 mins a day.

4. Lift heavy with consistent intensity. However don't throw lifting form out the window just to throw on more weight.

I am just new to lifting. I am trying to learn good form and I am making improvements in it.

5. As you lose fat, you tend to look more muscular when you have a solid base.

6. Compound movements are best. Squats, bench and deadlifts.
    Agree. I am following 5 by 5 workout as suggested by intelligent people here :) I am finding it very good.

7. Choose clean macro sources. Don't cheat yourself and expect results.
    I am very focused about my diet.
    Thanks for writing to me.
  • satisatisati
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

To be clear, I don't think anyone here thinks that cardio only means a treadmill, stationary bike, or stepper. You saying you don't need cardio at all but then say you do cardio in kickboxing and ice hockey is kind of ironic.

That's like saying I don't do cardio. I don't need it. I do ride my bike for 20 hours per week though...

lol :)