Almond milk??

Options
abcwhite10
abcwhite10 Posts: 140 Member
Just wondering why one would choose almond milk instead of skim milk? Is it better for you (and why) or just a personal preference?

Replies

• superstarcola
    Options
    personally, I think almond milk is DELICIOUS.

Also, I'm pretty sure the unsweetened kind has fewer calories.

I use both almond milk and skim milk, but for different things.
  • Forensic
    Forensic Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Lower carbs is the main thing... also a good alternative to those allergic to lactose and soy.
  • Sunny_Lexie
    Sunny_Lexie Posts: 114
    Options
    it's just... different ;)
    The taste, the amount of sugar (lower usually), and also the absence of lactose for those who are intolerant!
  • ronda_gettinghealthy
    ronda_gettinghealthy Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I tried it-- less cals .. one word ....... BLECCCHHHHH!!!
  • blondie1238
    blondie1238 Posts: 182
    Options
    I looooove almond milk! I switched to it not by choice, though. I found out I had a dairy allergy, and now I love it. I use the unsweetened kind. Depending on the brand, it has 35-40 calories. The only downside... no protein. Ahhhh well. I feel better now!
  • cfred40
    cfred40 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    40 cals for the unsweetened and low in carbs
  • gargoyle999
    gargoyle999 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I love it. I get unsweetened vanilla and use it for my cereal in the morning. Only 40 calories/cup. I like the taste and that it is a bit thicker than skim milk.
  • nancymmorris
    nancymmorris Posts: 310
    Options
    I choose it because I have an allergy to dairy and soy. Great alternative for me.
  • onawhymm
    onawhymm Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I just tried it recently and really like it - It has less calories / sugars than skim milk and more calcium. It's a bit sweet so it goes nicely with my cereal in the morning. Try it!
  • maserati185
    maserati185 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I do it for sugar content. UNSWEETENED Vanilla Almond Breeze Almond milk is a sufficient replacement for me... for cereal, with snacks, etc. and has 0g of sugar - compared to skim milk which is around 12g of sugar per 8 oz. That's a lot of sugar in a small amount if you are trying to stay under the recommended 40g-ish of sugar per day.
  • emchen
    emchen Posts: 48
    Options
    I love almond milk too! I usually get vanilla, so about 90 calories per cup.
  • andreacord
    andreacord Posts: 928
    Options
    Lower calorie. I buy the unsweetened kind and mix it with a tsp of nesquik powder when I have a craving for chocolate milk.
  • JulieF11
    JulieF11 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    (Info taken from 3fatchicks.com)

One major difference between dairy milk and almond milk involves protein and B Vitamins. Since almond milk only has 1 gram of protein per each serving, dairy milk serves as a much more practical protein source with 8 grams per serving. Skim milk also contains more riboflavin, folate and Vitamin B12 than the almond alternative.

The main difference that separates the two in the health debate lies within their sugar and carbohydrate contents. Skim milk contains 12 grams of sugars, which accounts for all 12 grams of carbs found in each serving of the beverage. Almond milk only has 8 grams of carbohydrates per serving, 7 grams coming from low glycemic sugars and 1 gram from fiber.
  • fitniknik
    fitniknik Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I get SOO SICK from regular milk :(
    Been using almond milk for 2 years now... dont miss regular milk at all!
  • snkeller24
    snkeller24 Posts: 459
    Options
    As a 2% milk drinker my entire life ... ok up until i was 23, I absolutely LOVE almond milk. I'm a big cereal person (i.e. could live off of it) so it's beneficial for me calorie wise. I don't notice anything gross about it. I love the vanilla flavored with some strawberry yogurt burst cheerios!

My adventure started because I thought I was having a lactose issue with regular milk/ice cream/and such, and for awhile I tried soy, then lactose free milk, and almond is where I ended up. And mind you I am a picky eater and won't go outside my comfort zone of what I was raised with. So this was a huge step!
  • rainbowdarling
    rainbowdarling Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Almond milk is great in smoothies and milk shakes, too. It's okay on cereal, but I still prefer cow's milk for drinking.
  • kendf60
    kendf60 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I believe it's all "good" fat too!
  • Karleyyy
    Karleyyy Posts: 857
    Options
    I have tried coconut milk, almond milk...I just can't do it. It tastes horrible to me.
  • mistyboggs
    mistyboggs Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad you guys posted that. I have almond milk in the fridge, but haven't tried it yet. I am trying to go as completely organic as I can. It makes me want to go and try it, but I am so already at my calorie max. :)
  • lovinglife71
    lovinglife71 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy the taste of Almond milk over fat free milk, since you asked, I have a carton of Almond milk in front of my and a jug of fat free milk,

Almond milk per 1 cup serving........ fat free milk per 1 cup serving......
    cal 35 90
    Fat 2.5g 0
    sodium 150mg 130mg
    potassium 60mg 410mg
    carb 1g 13g
    dietary fiber 1g 0
    sugar 0g 12g
    protein 1g 8g
    vit A 10% 10%
    vit C 0% 4%
    calcium 45% 30%
    iron 4% 0%
    vit D 25% 25%
    vit E 50% 0
    ribloflavin 25% 0
    vit B12 50% 0
    magnesium 4% 0
    zinc 10% 0

Never really looked myself, but it looks like the Almond milk has more vitamins!! Hope this helps!!