Misconceptions from our loved ones

Options
2»

Replies

• williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    Conditions, genetics, meal timing, forbidden foods, cheat days, starvation mode, meal frequency, cleanses, detoxing, diet pills, bad carbs, bad foods, only liquids, no sugar, low carb, paleo, Atkins, my thyroid, my hormones, my age, my pregnancy, my menopause, magic snake oil supplements, liquids don't have calories, good calories cancel out bad, exercise is necessary, eat more to lose weight, eating disorders, drug side effects, unspecified/undiagnosed diseases, food addiction, sugar addiction, water retention, healthy eating ...

Everything but Caloric Deficit and discipline/self-control

The list is endless ... and that's just what I've seen here in these forums ... today.

I <3 you! And yes, some of those things (diagnosed thyroid condition, congenital spine anomaly, former battle with BED) apply directly to me to make my road a little different than "normal."

But...I still managed to lose 25lbs over 8 months (just like "everyone else" can do), found an exercise plan (with modifications) that works for me that puts little to no pressure on my spine, and never once allowed real life conditions to be my excuses to give up on fitness.

The question was misconceptions, not excuses. He's saying your diagnosed things have 0 effect, and you don't need to do those modifications.

That's nice.

You know better than I do what I'm saying, right?

You stating things that aren't anywhere to be found in the actual text, right?

How nice ...

<boggle>

Thank you. I was all like, LOL WUT? Of course, if I didn't know better, my real life experiences would lead me to believe in the myriad misconceptions about weight loss with these specific conditions--oh, crazy thyroid? Imma be fat forever...Messed up spine? Well, I "can't" exercise, so I should just give up or do some crazy fad diet b/c "Dr. So and So" said it's magic...

But no, I understand that my personal TDEE is different (calculators are just rough estimates for everyone, really). Actually, mine's significantly higher (overactive thyroid--yes, you can overeat with this condition, I'm proof), so I eat more than MFP "says" I should. It's a necessary modification. The misconception of "1200/1500" diets to lose weight would be a very unhealthy one for me.

And exercise--sure, I don't "need" it, but I want it--so I've found strength training moves I can do without injuring myself--so I do that instead of, say, weighted dead lifts (someday, maybe, I will never lose hope and work my butt off to be my best).
  • daw0518
    daw0518 Posts: 459 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    My mom has this habit of saying jokingly "that's not diet food!" every time I tell her what I'm eating or reach for something when I'm visiting home. It drives me so crazy since she knows I eat anything as long as it fits in my goals - & it's especially annoying since she's the one who always told me growing up that it's all about moderation! Gah!

Meal timing also - I'll eat dinner really late sometimes because I have class until 6. I'll be talking to my mom on my phone about it and she's like "eating so late?!?! That's not good for your diet..." & I roll my eyes.

Otherwise, I have an aunt at Christmas who was making comments about my weight loss, saying how I shouldn't "take it too far" and "get too skinny". ...I've only lost 22ish pounds (of like 70-80 that I ultimately need to) and am still considered obese according to my BMI! Thanks, auntie, but I think I know what I'm doing!

JPW1990 wrote: »
    I sadly have a few relatives who haven't figured out that Dr Oz is a quack yet.
    Edited to add: ^^This for me too! Mom will call & start with "I saw this thing on Dr. Oz today..." & I stop listening.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    But no, I understand that my personal TDEE is different (calculators are just rough estimates for everyone, really).

How do I access the "This Chick Really Gets It ^^^" flag on this site?

;)

• Alassonde
    Alassonde Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    My mom has managed to convince herself that her weight problem is ALL genetics and that's just the way she's destined to be. It has nothing at all to do with the potato chips, pizza, ice cream, wine and beer that she consumes in large quantities regularly, so why should she stop? Exercise doesn't do any good either when it's genetic either, according to her. I have to bite my tongue to keep from reminding her that I'm from the same genetic pool that she is and I've managed to lose weight. It's frustrating because now she's overweight to the point of almost being disabled but she's decided it's just her destiny so she won't even try.
  • cerad2
    cerad2 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    PearlAng wrote: »
    This is my dad. He also told me I should drink a big glass of water before each meal so I won't eat as much. I was like "what? Why should I even do that" because I rarely exceed 400 calories per meal, unless I'm grazing or I'm out to eat. Usually it's snacking, going out to eat or just nonsense eating that puts me over my calories, not overeating at meals. I'm also at a healthy weight for my height and I'm in "quasi-maintenance" (I'd still like to lose another 2 lbs, maybe)
    Your opening post was a bit confusing but I think I understand now. Because you do not have a problem with sticking to a 400 calorie meal we should therefore conclude that no one else in the world has a problem either. Science is wonderful.

• krmsotherhalf68
    krmsotherhalf68 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Just the other day my brother (who's never had a weight issue) made a comment about my desktop photo on my computer. Every week or so I change my pic to reflect the season, holiday, etc. It so happens that I found a great picture of someone's rendition of Red Velvet Cupcakes with cream cheese frosting and red candy hearts sprinkled on the top. I thought they were some of the prettiest Valentines Day-ish confections I've seen, so I put them up in honor of Valentine's Day quickly approaching. My brother remarked that my having a picture of cupcakes on my computer was like him having a picture of a bottle of beer on his computer (he's a recovering alcoholic). I don't agree and told him so because when I made the decision to live a healthier lifestyle, I vowed that there weren't going to be any forbidden foods. If I choose to have a treat once in awhile, I figure it into my daily meal plan, log it, and forget about it; whereas an alcoholic can't have "just a little" alcohol; they must avoid ALL alcohol to remain sober.

I know I didn't have to justify my actions to him; but in an to make him understand my approach to healthier eating/living, I did. I think he gets it now.
  • marinabreeze
    marinabreeze Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I grew up with, "don't eat after X time," "don't eat fat/carbs," etc. More recently my mom will suggest something she saw on Dr. Oz that day. I nod and smile.

I think reasons for weight gain are real and shouldn't be mocked. I had undiagnosed PCOS for many years. I tried Atkins and lost zero pounds - even in week one. I did Weight Watchers and after losing nearly 10 lbs, I plateaued for 3 months - even with weighing/measuring, tracking, and exercising nearly an hour almost every day.

It's not to say that most disorders mean you can't lose weight, 99% of the time it can be done - I'm proof of that losing 25 lbs so far with basic CICO. But it can be more of a challenge, which can be discouraging to a lot of people struggling with disorders that affect weight. I was diagnosed at 25 years old but took me another 8 years to find what actually worked for me and sticking to it - in between trying and giving up.
  • Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Just about everyone in my family has struggled with an eating or a weight problem at some point in their lives. Many have diabetes and have to follow some guidelines for eating. I can't help but to laugh, though because often they abide by nutrition/weight loss misconceptions. Just today my grandma told my mom not to eat after 7pm for weight loss.

Are there misconceptions that loved ones have said to you during your journey/period of weight loss/gain?

There might be something to the don't eat after 7 pm advice. It isn't for weight loss per se, though, it's for insulin sensitivity. Not eating a few hours before bed does give your body a longer period of fasting (prior to breakfast). Then again, you could get the same result by not eating until after 7 pm, as some Intermittent Fasters do. So it's not a magical time of the evening, it's just a way of practicing IF.

• PearlAng
    PearlAng Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    cerad2 wrote: »
    This is my dad. He also told me I should drink a big glass of water before each meal so I won't eat as much. I was like "what? Why should I even do that" because I rarely exceed 400 calories per meal, unless I'm grazing or I'm out to eat. Usually it's snacking, going out to eat or just nonsense eating that puts me over my calories, not overeating at meals. I'm also at a healthy weight for my height and I'm in "quasi-maintenance" (I'd still like to lose another 2 lbs, maybe)
    Your opening post was a bit confusing but I think I understand now. Because you do not have a problem with sticking to a 400 calorie meal we should therefore conclude that no one else in the world has a problem either. Science is wonderful.
    Read again. My dad advised ME and only me to do this. I never said that i typically stick with meals of a certain size and that others should too. This also does not mean that just because I am able to stick to having -roughly- that many calories for meals that others can do it too.

My point of the water thing was that my dad told me to do this, but it does not always apply to me. The water thing could help people, but I don't necessarily need that help.