Quest Bars-Worth the $$$????

Options
Just curious as to what everyone thinks. I've read some good things about Quest bars but they do seem pricey. Are they worth it?

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    It depends. Some people love them, some people hate them. I'm in the middle. I like them, but there are what they are, a protein bar. I didn't expect them to taste really great so I guess I wasn't disappointed.
    I like them because they are portable, and I can stomach them shortly before a workout whereas other foods tend to be too much on my stomach. So for me, they are worth it. My favorite is the cookies and cream.

Just a hint, they are often better warmed up, especially the brownie ones.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Eh, protein bars are glorified candy bars. Eat a piece of chicken. That's gluten free, too.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    Eh, protein bars are glorified candy bars. Eat a piece of chicken. That's gluten free, too.

But then I have to cook the chicken, which I do most of the time, but sometimes I end up without time to prep food or I get lazy and just don't do it and don't have many options.

Sometimes I ate my chicken and I'm on the road and still need more.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    On sale. I won't spend more than $20 for a box of 12, so needless to say, Quest doesn't get my money that often.
  • Debbiedebbiey
    Debbiedebbiey Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Cookies & cream as a treat maybe twice a week- I could do worse ! Very satisfying to me !
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    The cookies and cream one is amazing, but too expensive for me to have regularly. I buy a brand from walmart with a similar protien content/calorie content for less money.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    Cookies & cream as a treat maybe twice a week- I could do worse ! Very satisfying to me !

I only very recently discovered this flavour and I actually really like it. The rest are ok, some are gross but I love the cookies and cream.
  • mom2nicknat
    mom2nicknat Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    They are absolutely worth it to me - I like (in order) White Chocolate Raspberry, Cookie Dough, S'mores and Cookies and Cream. They are the only bars out there that fill me up like a meal - but I do limit myself to one every other day or one a day max because of the cost.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    They are candy bars with protein.

So--totally worth it, yes.
  • diegops1
    diegops1 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    The thing I like best about Quest bars is the fiber, then the protein. I keep one of those and a packet of Wonder Slim in my briefcase for days when I am short on protein or fiber. That's about once or twice a week.
  • paulandrachelk
    paulandrachelk Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Use Power Bars-texture is different but high in protein and ratio's fat/carbs. Get them at Walmart for less than $1.00 each. Also good buy at Costco. They meet my nutrition requirements better than any other of this type of supplement.
  • Khukhullatus
    Khukhullatus Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I don't tend to go with quest bars, so I can't speak to them specifically, but I do really like to have a protein bar once in a while if I realize I'm not going to get all the protein I want in that day.

People who say they are candy bars are nuts. They are the same shape, but the similarity ends there. If the box wasn't enough evidence that the nutrients involved are different, the taste sure would be. I like them, but they would be the worlds crappiest candy bar.

A quest bar, a Hershey's bar and a granola bar are all very different, and are going to fit much differently into your diet.
  • UtahWI
    UtahWI Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I can't hide a piece of chicken in my pocket when I am at work, there's no way I am getting a sit and eat break, and we can't eat anywhere outside of a back breakroom, and I have an open heart patient I can't leave alone or with just anybody. Quest, and other bars, have their place. They are relatively satisfying and help me tame my hunger crazies.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options

I usually don't eat protein bars, since I prefer "real food" myself, but sometimes it's a matter of convenience. It's hard to cook and eat chicken on a back country trail or when you're stuck on a long commute. Sometimes it's nice to have something quick and easy on hand...
  • TheUnwritten
    TheUnwritten Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I'd say no for the fact that there so delicious and I eat more than one a day but hey if you got the green by all means go for it.
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I only buy them when on sale at the Quest site or with a GNC coupon. I will never pay full price for them. I stocked up on them during black Friday, cyber Monday so I have about 4 boxes on hand or so. I love Quest bars. They aren't a glorified candy bar as other say. The carbs in them are the "good carbs" which are fiber carbs. My nutritionist said they are the best protein bar out there.
    Some people don't like the taste or texture but I am ok with it.
  • laura_da_fox
    laura_da_fox Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I recently discovered quest bars and I think they are great for a quick breakfast as I don't get time to sit down for a proper bowl of porridge in the mornings.
    I live in the UK so it's harder to buy them (cheaply) over here without having to pay hideous amounts of import tax.

I have a really sweet tooth and was quite surprised how much I liked them, the choc chipcookie dough ones are by far the best imo, followed by the chocolate brownie ones and then the apple pie. They have a slightly chewy consistency but they make you really full quite quickly and sometimes I have only manage half a one at once (which is good for me obv)

I think they do a variety box for people who want to try out all the flavours/
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

Candy bars typically don't have 20g of protein, 17g of fiber, and 5 net carb. Just saying (and the chicken doesn't have all that fiber either. And it's not sweet).
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    It depends. Some people love them, some people hate them. I'm in the middle. I like them, but there are what they are, a protein bar. I didn't expect them to taste really great so I guess I wasn't disappointed.
    I like them because they are portable, and I can stomach them shortly before a workout whereas other foods tend to be too much on my stomach. So for me, they are worth it.

This is basically how I feel too. For portability or an occasional mid afternoon snack when I've worked out earlier, they are extremely convenient. I haven't liked all of them, but I quite like the chocolate chip cookie dough one.
  • DvrDawg
    DvrDawg Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I just recently started buying them - I use them more for a meal replacement. I agree with some folks that you can buy less expensive protein bars. But, thus far, Quest bars are the only ones I have found that taste good (I have a broad taste tolerance), have 20g of protein and about half my daily fiber needs. I actually tried them because I was struggling to get all of my fiber needs and I usually eat a protein bar for breakfast. I went to GNC and they were on sale -buy 3 get one free. Since I don't eat one every day (maybe only 3 days a week), I think they are a good value for protein and fiber.