How many of you are into Incline cardio

Options
2»

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I just switched over to incline walking a week ago. Running had been my main cardio for a year but I was getting bored of it to the point of just not doing cardio at all. I work a very sedentary job and need exercise cardio or else I'm kind of a slug. After googling a bit, I found this article and since I like written plans I'm just following it.

http://www.t-nation.com/training/get-ripped-get-walking

I read that article a few weeks ago after googling incline cardio and the benefits. It really enforced my view that it's a killer burn for fat and increases overall fitness and endurance

I like it because I can do it in addition to lifting and not feel like I'm completely wrung out. I tried HIIT for awhile but it just made me feel crummy. When I walk, I feel really energized.
  • Robbnva
    Robbnva Posts: 590 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Just jogged 2.5 miles then finished with 5 minutes at 10%. In cool down mode now but my calorie burn should be good. I needed a cardio high calorie burn day for Superbowl Sunday lol
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    My trainer has me do incline walking/jogging, glad to hear it is working so well for you!
  • Emmaloubalajake
    Emmaloubalajake Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I just switched over to incline walking a week ago. Running had been my main cardio for a year but I was getting bored of it to the point of just not doing cardio at all. I work a very sedentary job and need exercise cardio or else I'm kind of a slug. After googling a bit, I found this article and since I like written plans I'm just following it.

http://www.t-nation.com/training/get-ripped-get-walking

I read that article a few weeks ago after googling incline cardio and the benefits. It really enforced my view that it's a killer burn for fat and increases overall fitness and endurance

I like it because I can do it in addition to lifting and not feel like I'm completely wrung out. I tried HIIT for awhile but it just made me feel crummy. When I walk, I feel really energized.

I feel like it has everything that HIIT gives you without all the joint unpact and huffing and puffing. I always feel energized after and I feel like I'm still burning fat for ages after too. So glad more people are doing this. It's manageable and for those who can't run its a long term alternative without compromise
  • Just115Pounds
    Just115Pounds Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Is running at 5-6mph on a incline of 3 for 30 minutes everyday good for loosing weight and slimming thighs!? I used to do HIIT Treadmill every single day, 8mph for 1 min, then rest 30s, repeat 10x but I found my thighs getting bulky which is the opposite effect I had in mind.
  • gamesandgains
    gamesandgains Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Love to walk at the highest incline a treadmill will allow. I try aim from 2.5-3.2 mph.
  • Robbnva
    Options
    Is running at 5-6mph on a incline of 3 for 30 minutes everyday good for loosing weight and slimming thighs!? I used to do HIIT Treadmill every single day, 8mph for 1 min, then rest 30s, repeat 10x but I found my thighs getting bulky which is the opposite effect I had in mind.

No idea about thighs, but yes to losing weight as long as you are eating at a deficit
  • Emmaloubalajake
    edited February 2015
    Options

I wouldn't go at that speed on a very high incline as you would struggle to stay on. 3/4 mph is plenty to get you out of breath and if you have fat then you will burn it where it needs to be burned. I am losing mostly on my upper body right now but I haven't gained on my legs at all. They look slimmer in photos but I've not measured them. Id say work up the incline at a moderate speed. If you go fast then you are compelled to hold on to the rails for balance. You need to resist holding on for the entire workout really to get the benefits.
  • FedGirlUSA
    FedGirlUSA Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Ok...I'm sold...I'm gonna do this. I love the posted incline schedule. Is there a way I can put that on my "wall" or "profile" or whatever you call it, haha. Not used to MFP quite
  • Emmaloubalajake
    Options
    FedGirlUSA wrote: »
    Ok...I'm sold...I'm gonna do this. I love the posted incline schedule. Is there a way I can put that on my "wall" or "profile" or whatever you call it, haha. Not used to MFP quite

If you are on an iPhone i guess you can hold your finger on the image and save it to your photo album then upload it
  • Emmaloubalajake
    Options
    Would love to hear how ppl find this kind of cardio and results if they decide to give it a go
  • CathReese33
    CathReese33 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I am intrigued whether the results would show by doing this on a cross trainer instead?
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I am intrigued whether the results would show by doing this on a cross trainer instead?

It is important to repeat that there is nothing magical about the act of incline walking itself.

The reason it is effective is because it is a low-impact way to work at a higher intensity.

Quite honestly, the people who are seeing the most dramatic results from incline walking were likely working at too low an intensity before--maybe because they didn't know any better or maybe because they couldn't tolerate other high intensity activities.

A cross trainer is a different type of machine entirety. Because one can adjust both pedaling speed and resistance, one can work easy up to maximum while doing essentially the same movement.

• MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Thanks for reminding me about this I used to do it a lot when starting out. For some+reason my switch to outdoor walking made me+try flat treadmill last time it rained and that bored+the hail out of me, i'll remember to work+incline into my regular routine again+thanks to your thread.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »

Quite honestly, the people who are seeing the most dramatic results from incline walking were likely working at too low an intensity before--maybe because they didn't know any better or maybe because they couldn't tolerate other high intensity activities.

This. It hit me a few weeks ago that I had become way less active since the start of winter. I tried HIIT and it wasn't for me. I just like the longer cardio sessions and incline on a treadmill clicked with me. It's enjoyable enough that I will stick with it.
  • Robbnva
    Options
    Would love to hear how ppl find this kind of cardio and results if they decide to give it a go

Any cardio will work, as long as you have a caloric deficit. I have tried jogging, hiit, and walking and I still lose weight week after week without a single plateau
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I hate riding hills, but it's a necessary evil...
  • Emmaloubalajake
    Options
    Getting my cousin and sister into this also so all going well I can track their progress along with my own