High Fiber Intake, possible without a supplement?

Options
Does anyone know if it is possible to get 30 grams fiber in a daily diet with food alone? Or does that high of a fiber intake require supplementation with a fiber source (like Metamucil, Citrucel, Benefiber, etc)? I am adding ground flax seed to all my cereals already, and I do eat vegetables (plus I only use whole grain starches like whole wheat flour, whole wheat pasta, brown rice, etc, and all my baked goods have additional oat bran, wheat bran, and flax added), but I'm still not reaching my above 28 grams of fiber per day goal.

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Easily. Beans would be a good addition.
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I usually am at 25-30 grams per day without supplements. The biggest contributers are oatmeal, beans (black or edamame), high fiber sandwich flats, roasted sweet potatoes or beets, a ton of other veggies...dark leafy greens.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Had a Quest bar--each one has 15 grams of fiber
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    L
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I'm looking thru my diary and it looks like I am typically at 20ish... I eat vegetables and fruits and beans sometimes. I eat oatmeal everyday for breakfast
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I am not currently logging but I regularly would get 40-60g fiber without a supplement. That's back when I was logging.

.....get it? I was eating 60g of fiber and logging?

Ok hi I'm 12
  • myfatass78
    myfatass78 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Sultana Bran is good for Fibre
  • Nottafattie
    Nottafattie Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Kashi GoLean has a cereal with 10g of fiber per serving (and 13g of Protein). I just got that and bought a bag of the little packages of raisins to add to it (another gram of fiber). Not sure how it tastes yet, but I have trouble getting enough fiber too and I'm hoping I found the answer.
  • Phaewryn
    Phaewryn Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I eat beans, and a lot of lentils, according to this website's food logger, those do not have enough fiber. I really wish that the foods showed the nutritional panel when adding foods to my log, as it could be that whomever input the item didn't get the details correct.
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Easily. Beans would be a good addition.

• Phaewryn
    Options
    I found the Go Lean cold cereal very hard to eat. I do like their hot cereals, and do eat those occasionally, but I usually just make plain oatmeal or eat a granola cereal. Kashi has some great products, the "TLC" (tasty little crackers) are excellent. I eat a ton of oatmeal, beans, lentils, and spinach, in fact, those are my main foods, so that is why I am so discouraged by being told I am no-where close to my goal of 30 grams fiber daily in the food diary. :(
    Kashi GoLean has a cereal with 10g of fiber per serving (and 13g of Protein). I just got that and bought a bag of the little packages of raisins to add to it (another gram of fiber). Not sure how it tastes yet, but I have trouble getting enough fiber too and I'm hoping I found the answer.

• SideSteel
    Options
    popcorn, oatmeal, mixed berries
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Yes. Avocado's, beans, peas are all good options. I also eat from the Fiber One line (the 90 cal bars are pretty good), and Quest Bars.
    I used to use Benefiber many many months ago but stopped because it made me feel ill, like too boated and kind of dizzy.

eta: ^^^ popcorn too is a very good option. I've been on a big popcorn kick lately, so I'm actually surprised I forgot to include that.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    In fact take a serving of old fashioned oatmeal, add 1 scoop of whey protein, and 1 cup of mixed berries (they sell big bags of these at Sams Club, frozen). That's going to be a good chunk of fiber.
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    You can scan the package the beans come in instead of using the generic entries. Or, if you want to use the correct entry, which will include fiber use an entry like this:

Beans - Black, raw
    Lentils - raw

55835802.png
  • Phaewryn
    Options
    I make oatmeal, adding a heaping tablespoon of ground flax seed currently. I can look into adding some whey protein next amazon order, can you recommend a TASTELESS one? I hate berries in my cereal, but I wouldn't mind eating some on the side. My general go-to fruit is banana. I suppose they have no fiber? I eat a lot of bananas, not much other fruits.
    SideSteel wrote: »
    In fact take a serving of old fashioned oatmeal, add 1 scoop of whey protein, and 1 cup of mixed berries (they sell big bags of these at Sams Club, frozen). That's going to be a good chunk of fiber.
  • Phaewryn
    edited February 2015
    Options
    How do I scan in packages and make the system take the info off them? I don't know how to do that, but I don't see the thing you posted at all when I click on the link for it, the page I go to looks totally different. Do I need a phone to do all of that? Maybe the problem is that I am on a PC, not a cell phone, so I'm getting less options?

sodakat wrote: »
    You can scan the package the beans come in instead of using the generic entries. Or, if you want to use the correct entry, which will include fiber use an entry like this:

Beans - Black, raw
    Lentils - raw
  • scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Phaewryn wrote: »
    Does anyone know if it is possible to get 30 grams fiber in a daily diet with food alone? Or does that high of a fiber intake require supplementation with a fiber source (like Metamucil, Citrucel, Benefiber, etc)? I am adding ground flax seed to all my cereals already, and I do eat vegetables (plus I only use whole grain starches like whole wheat flour, whole wheat pasta, brown rice, etc, and all my baked goods have additional oat bran, wheat bran, and flax added), but I'm still not reaching my above 28 grams of fiber per day goal.

Raw cocoa
    Coconut flour
  • TinaBaily
    TinaBaily Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I aim for 50 grams of fiber a day in my diet. I use NO supplements to achieve this goal. If I don't, I have intestinal issues, so even though I'm almost at maintenance, I will always have to log.

My breakfasts are always oatmeal, made with water, and cubed fresh fruit, with 10 grams of Craisins because I like the flavor. I keep the calories for breakfast at about 300, and fiber at LEAST 10 grams.

Lunch can be most anything, depending on if we have leftovers on hand from last night's dinner, or not. If not, I really like Oroweat brand bread's Healthfull version of bread. They make one called Nutty Grain and one called 10 Grain, I believe. They are 80 calories/slice and 5 grams of fiber/slice. I use half a serving of meat within a sandwich if using lunch meat, or 2 oz of sliced cooked chicken, beef, pork, whatever I have on hand. My lunches are often 15 to 20 grams of fiber, because I add fresh raw veggies (cauliflower, celery, carrots, broccoli) to my plate.

Dinner can be tricky, as I feed my family what I cook for those meals. I serve 2 different vegetable sides, as well as an entrée of some kind, but some foods are higher fiber than others. If I get to the end of the day and am not high enough in fiber, I'll enjoy a Fiber One bar (9 grams of fiber in their Chewy bars, and 140 calories), or a couple slices of the Oroweat Healthfull bread toasted, with nothing on them, or a teaspoon of parmesan cheese dusted over it, or just cinnamon sprinkled on for added flavor.

Regarding the fiber amounts in the data banks of MFP, when you want to enter something into your diary, look for the entries that do NOT have an asterisk beside them. Those are the most accurate as far as calories and macros go, and they seem to match the USDA information given on their website. I trust that data. The asterisked entries were input by users and may not be accurate. Lentils are LOADED with fiber, which is what brought me to mention that. I think you have to find the accurate lentil information by entering "lentils raw" and you'll get the correct information.

If you are interested, my diary is open to my friends, so you can send me a friend request with a note and I'll be happy to add you. I don't accept friend requests without a note. :-)
  • Italian_Buju
    Italian_Buju Posts: 8,030 Member
    Options
    Half a cup of original fibre one has 14 grams of fibre....that is half right there....you can sprinkle a little cinnamon on it to make it tasty if you have a hard time getting it down. One of my girlfriends eats it like this twice every day to maintain a high fibre diet, then anything extra she gets from food is just a bonus.....
  • SideSteel
    Options
    Something to consider is that fiber in the form of whole foods tends to provide a great deal of satiety so it could be a valid reason to get the majority or all of your fiber from whole foods vs supplements.