reps went down

Options
hey i have a problem and looking for some help my reps on my second set today on my bench press went down and it happens alot i just took a week off to let my body heal...i go to 10 on my first set and i try to go up a rep on the second set from my last workout and the next 2 sets i go to failure until i get to 10 on the second set and i do the same after i get to 10 on the 3rd set.. i went up 50 lbs on my bench in 3 months and now im stalling again i was also on a ph cycle during my gains and im on my pct cycle now. without the ph cycle i would still be stuck.. i get around 180g of protein i eat meat and eggs i dont think its my diet..any advice would be helpful i have looked all over google and it seems im the only with this problem

day 1 incline bench 4x10..curls 3x10..abs 4x15.. squads 4x12..walk/jog 30 minutes

day 2 rest

day 3 shoulder press 4x10..barbell row 4x10..shrugs 4x10..walk/jog 30 minutes

day 4 repeat day 1

day 5 rest

day 6 repeat day 2

day 7 rest

Replies

• rogerOb1
    rogerOb1 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I know you said its probably not your diet, but I think diet is a factor ( I don't know if the ph is for gains or for other reasons). You should try out a structured routine for a few months (e.g. one from BB.com or stronglifts is the favourite on this site). You dont need to be lifting to failure every session. Is there a reason you do incline bench but no flat? Add in pull ups and dips at a minimum.
  • countryboi999
    countryboi999 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I've tried the stronglift but with the same results I stall out and can't add any weights and that's why I ran a pH cycle. I use incline to try to catch up with my flat bench..closest gym around here is a hour away I'm stuck with a bench and a bar..what should I look into with my diet? More protein?
  • rogerOb1
    Options
    Sure but there a lot of other programs out there. Unless you are lifting insane weights, there wouldn't be enough volume for me personally in your current lifting program, but either way you could find a more complete program.

If youre getting enough rest then appropriate nutrition is a good place to look. Make sure you have taken in enough fuel on lifting days and take care of your macro and micro nutrient needs every day.
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Why are you trying to "use incline to try to catch up with your flat bench?" You're not going to incline as much as you flat bench. You're not supposed to be able to do so. Otherwise, I agree with the other guy. Check your routine and check your diet. At a minimum, I'd flat and incline whenever I was doing a chest workout.
  • countryboi999
    Options
    Volume is one of the things I was thinking about I was thinking I'm not lifting heavy enough but if that was the case my strength wouldn't decrease would it?
  • countryboi999
    Options
    Why are you trying to "use incline to try to catch up with your flat bench?" You're not going to incline as much as you flat bench. You're not supposed to be able to do so. Otherwise, I agree with the other guy. Check your routine and check your diet. At a minimum, I'd flat and incline whenever I was doing a chest workout.
    Ah I didn't know that about the incline and flat..when should I use incline?
  • countryboi999
    Options
    Like a warm up set or a finishing set?
  • countryboi999
    Options
    I found a barbell routine on bb.com I will try it out and thanks for the advice guys
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Increasing reps and increasing weight are two completely different modalities. What are your goals?
  • countryboi999
    Options
    Increasing reps and increasing weight are two completely different modalities. What are your goals?
    to build muscle

• countryboi999
    Options
    The routine I found on bb.com is pretty much a full body 3 times a week I guess I can give it a shot
  • rogerOb1
    Options
    That's cool. I forgot to ask, have tried adding a heavy set to get your body used to working at that next level up? So e.g. instead of aiming for 40 of your working set, you'd do 3x10, then 1x5 of a heavier weight, and then finish off with 1x5 with a warm up weight.
  • countryboi999
    edited February 2015
    Options
    rogerOb1 wrote: »
    That's cool. I forgot to ask, have tried adding a heavy set to get your body used to working at that next level up? So e.g. instead of aiming for 40 of your working set, you'd do 3x10, then 1x5 of a heavier weight, and then finish off with 1x5 with a warm up weight.
    I don't know if I could handle going any heavier after the 3rd set I can only get 4 or 5 up on the 3rd and 1-3 on the 4th at the moment

• countryboi999
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I'm pretty sure I'm doing something wrong lol
    To days work out looked like this

Set 1 10 reps
    Set 2 6 which was 7 last work out
    Set 3 4 or 5 idk I didn't count same with the 4th but I'm guessing 2
  • rogerOb1
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Lighten your working set to something you can do 3 x 10 or even 3 x 8
  • countryboi999
    edited February 2015
    Options
    rogerbo1 wrote: »
    Lighten your working set to something you can do 3 x 10 or even 3 x 8
    Lol I was afraid u would say that. Should I still do the full body Routine from bb?
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Neat thread.

I like the part where roger was telling newbie to make a custom routine.

Country dude, take on a solid routine and follow it as written. Many good routines, we all have our favorites. Key is follow it as written for a couple quarters.

If you're losing gas during your session, it takes one of three things:
    1. nut up
    2. increase carbs or overall caloric intake
    3. work on cardiovascular capability

I need a good 1k calories in me before I get into a leg session, because by the time I hit 180-200 total squat volume for my high bar back squats, I'm a little gassed for my assistance work. It still needs to get done though.
  • countryboi999
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Lol I give up I'm jumping back on the beer wagon.. I don't know a good routine I've searched and the only one I can find with the tools I got apparently isn't good. I can bend over and pull 170lbs to my chest and then stand up and put 130lbs over my head with progress everytime but I can't bench 150lbs and curl 90 lbs without stalling or going backwards it makes no sense. Thanks for trying to help guys but I ain't smart enough to figure this out
  • datdere1
    Options
    Lol I give up I'm jumping back on the beer wagon.. I don't know a good routine I've searched and the only one I can find with the tools I got apparently isn't good. I can bend over and pull 170lbs to my chest and then stand up and put 130lbs over my head with progress everytime but I can't bench 150lbs and curl 90 lbs without stalling or going backwards it makes no sense. Thanks for trying to help guys but I ain't smart enough to figure this out

Here's a routine:

Progressive overload on the big 4 lifts and stop being soft.

It's not complicated man, just eat, sleep, and lift. Easy.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Hypertrophy (building muscle) is best in the 8 - 12 rep range. Go as heavy as you can and still lift in this rep range. When you’re body is ready (and if it is sufficiently fed and rested between workouts) it will grow and you’ll be able to add more weight. At first, you may have seen quick increases in strength and endurance, but after a while that flattens out. Slow, progressive work is what it takes. Be patient, and work hard.
    -