A breif explanation of how mfp is setup and how it all works

Options

Replies

• jasonweinberg
    jasonweinberg Posts: 270
    Options
    yep. that's how i lost my weight: smoking crack. the secret is out. lol. seriously though, as i told you in my private message, my real beef is the ridicuously dramatic and unsubstantiated manner in which you present "starvation mode" and yet claim it is "proven over and over". netting less than 1200 calories 2-3 days in a row will put you into "starvation mode"? seriously?
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I agree. The original poster was just explaining how mfp works. He wasn't saying that is the only way to lose weight. There are a lot of people who tweak their goals to fit in with the way they want to do things. Some of it is still healthy, some isn't. The calories mfp recommends can be accurate, but they can be off too. It is best to tweak it if it isn't working. Sometimes people have a faster, or slower metabolism than the average person. They will need to make adjustments to their goals accordingly.

Most of us are not experts. We only know what has worked for us, or what others have said work for them.
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    It's fine to disagree and debate - but please keep it on topic and respectful, folks. You can disagree with the opinion or message, but no insulting or attacking the messenger. A healthy debate is always welcome and every opinion is valued, as long as you voice it respectfully. :flowerforyou:

Thanks for your cooperation.
    Ladyhawk00
    MyFitnessPal Forum Moderator
  • lil_missfit
    lil_missfit Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    u
    I have to agree with both the original poster and jasonweinberg
    its great to have someone explain how the site works IF there are people who are interested in following step by step...BUT I do think that many many people lose weight on here just as "healthy" doing it their own way and how they choose. Just because their way isnt your way or the sites way doesnt deem it "unhealthy"...MFP is just a guide its not the cure-all for everyones obesity issues some of us have to alter and fix things to better suit our lifestyles and needs and come out just as successful as those who maybe follow step by step Im sure....

I increased MFP recommendation to eat only 1200 calories up to 1360. 1200 wasn't working for me, so in that respect I can understand what you're saying. I do agree with the OP because [for me] in the past I have taken the pills my doctor put me on and lost 40+ pounds. The pills zapped out my appetite completely and I couldn't eat if I tried. I worked out HARD everyday and when I did eat it was small portions....then he would take me off the pills and I would stop losing even though I was working out. I also never ate back exercise calories ( too afraid ). I gained every pound back both times. I can't afford nutritionalist and personal trainers....but I have spoken to two. Both have said to replenish your body after you workout and you need the extra calories. Even people in the "expert" world disagree but I think it would be safe to say that our bodies need proper nutrients w/o getting all technical:smile:
  • RadicalCharlie
    RadicalCharlie Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    It's probably best not to argue with Newfiedan.
    He is just explaining how MFP works.

I personally don't use it for what it was designed for, and no one is obligated to use it that way.

I'd personally rather starve myself and not eat back my exercise calories to lose weight because that works for me.
  • jasonweinberg
    Options
    but that is my whole point: you are not "starving yourself". that is exactly what drives me nuts. this whole idea that if you burn 750 calories via exercise and it brings you blow a net calories of 1200 you "are starving yourself" is patently absurd, yet people toss it around here as if it is fact.
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    like my original post said, starving yourself and starvation mode as it is often called (which I happen to disagree with the name of) has nothing to do with actually being physically hungry.
  • Rodneymc4
    Rodneymc4 Posts: 62
    Options
    Thanks, there must be some truth to this eating back exercise calories thing,

I'm having a hard time eating as much food as this site suggest I eat. I do know that I have lost a considerable amount of muscle with the hope that I would be losing fat...unfortunately the muscle left and the fat stayed. I was still losing weight, but not the weight I wanted to lose. I exercise A LOT, and I don't understand the problem...maybe I am not eating enough food.
  • Forensi
    Forensi Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Seriously man, I think you need to find some resources other than this website and read them and you will find that what Dan is saying is 100% correct not only in relation to this site but to many health and fitness experts across the board.
  • Newfiedan
    Options
    The easiest way to answer that question is to try a week or 2 of eating more, worst case scenario you have lost 1 or 2 weeks which in the long run will not hurt you. The only way to tell for sure is to simply try it.
  • Newfiedan
    Options
    Seriously man, I think you need to find some resources other than this website and read them and you will find that what Dan is saying is 100% correct not only in relation to this site but to many health and fitness experts across the board.

The site is fine for open debate and despite the fact that he has disagreed with me on my original post that is fine with me, he is not the first nor the last person whom will do so.
  • RadicalCharlie
    Options
    I'm pretty sure uses stored fat AKA stored energy reserves when your body goes into "starvation mode".

If you have plenty of fat, I'm sure it's not going to hurt anything.
  • Forensi
    Forensi Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    No it won't hurt if you have a lot to lose. I think Dan's point though is when you get down to those last couple of kg's or lb's it's best to lose the weight slowly and not deprive yourself of too many nutrients otherwise you will go into what's called starvation mode or you could also call it malnutrition, which might make more sense to some.
  • RadicalCharlie
    Options
    I agree with that.
  • Newfiedan
    Options
    I like to call it survival mode, its when there is not enough fuel coming in vs what is going out to keep metabolic rate at its peak.
  • gratenni1
    gratenni1 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    This was wonderfull information. I recently was hit by a car when riding my bike..I was told no exercise for 3 weeks due to a concussion. So i went into the profiles and changed my exercise to sedentary. That allows me 1300 daily. Did i do the right thing? I also refused to eat any starchy foods in that period of no exercise.
    gratenni1
  • nanc94
    nanc94 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    bump

thanx for the info
  • Newfiedan
    Options
    This was wonderfull information. I recently was hit by a car when riding my bike..I was told no exercise for 3 weeks due to a concussion. So i went into the profiles and changed my exercise to sedentary. That allows me 1300 daily. Did i do the right thing? I also refused to eat any starchy foods in that period of no exercise.
    gratenni1
    The only way to truly determine that is by giving it a week and seeing the result, true that I would drop the cal intake during that week in theory but your body may require more, if you are feeling hungry then eat. If your metabolic rate is high and stays high by nature then you will need to eat more for that. 3 weeks downtime will not really hurt your metabolic rate if you eat enough. As for starcy carbs that is your choice. Carbs are not the enemy but carb choices can certainly affect weight loss. I happen to prefer that most of mine come from veggies and fruits.
  • jasonweinberg
    Options
    now we are calling it "malnutrition" too?
  • Newfiedan
    Options
    now we are calling it "malnutrition" too?
    dude just give it a rest you said your peace leave it at that.