Difference in calories from published recipes to app

Options
mmccouch
mmccouch Posts: 5 Member
I started using the app a month ago and have lost 12 pounds. I am always on the hunt for low-cal, delicious recipes and love my Cooking Light subscription. However, I have found that some of the recipes in the magazine list the calories MUCH lower than the app when the recipe is added for tracking. Has anyone else seen this and is there any good explanation? This happens even when I match ingredients exactly.

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Yes, I never trust recipe nutrition for that reason. If it looks too good to be true, it usually is!
  • mmccouch
    mmccouch Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks for replying. What a drag! I made a quinoa crust quiche and found that I have to DOUBLE the number of servings just to get the calories down where they should be. I'll enter the recipe first the next time.
  • ttmarie1983
    Options
    Please ad me and share recipe
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    mmccouch wrote: »
    Thanks for replying. What a drag! I made a quinoa crust quiche and found that I have to DOUBLE the number of servings just to get the calories down where they should be. I'll enter the recipe first the next time.

I made a 'skinny' jelly roll up once from Chocolate Covered Karie... supposed to be 100 calories. Turned out to be 350 calories... Should have figured it out considering that it called for 1/4 cup of flour, and that alone is 100+ calories, lol.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Different ingredients = slightly different calories. And different serving sizes/numbers. Just input the recipes in the builder and use those calories.
  • myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    allrecipies is a GOD send.
  • BElizabeth53
    BElizabeth53 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    Different ingredients = slightly different calories. And different serving sizes/numbers. Just input the recipes in the builder and use those calories.

I agree. The calories of the product brands you use may change the outcome as well. Try to ensure that the one you choose when you are logging the recipe match as closely as possible to your actual ingredient label.