Appetite suppressants anyone?

Options
2»

Replies

• holyfenix
    holyfenix Posts: 99 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    If I am feeling what I call bored hungry I'll drink water or get a diet coke.
    Or if I am at home I will take a nap or play video games, or just go out somewhere and window shop. Watching TV is probably the worst for me, I start getting super cravings when I do that.
  • MouseFood
    MouseFood Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Quasita wrote: »
    I have some serious reservations regarding this post and the fact that the OP is planning an eating disorder thread. It sounds like a disaster in the making. I literally spend hours on this site being the voice for ED and recovery, and I hate the idea that someone looking for appetite suppression would feel qualified to lead such a discussion.

I'm not planning 'leading' a group/discussion. I'm just planning on starting an conversation so that we can all share with each other. I never said that I was qualified in any area.

Also, I made it clear that when I was talking about appetite suppressants that I meant things that stop you from eating when you don't really need to eat.

I am NOT talking about avoiding eating altogether or starving yourself. I thought that was pretty clear, but apparently not.

My eating disorder, not that it's any of your business, is binge eating disorder. Those of us with this disorder eat too much on a very regular basis, usually due to not dealing with boredom/loneliness/difficult emotions in a more healthy way.

However, when I said for any kind of eating disorder, I meant that a group/discussion could be place for anyone who suffers from any ED but who WANTS TO BECOME HEALTHIER could talk about their issues in a safe place ...

From the comments I've seen, I'm already realizing that MFP is NOT the safe place I had hoped.
  • killerqueen21
    killerqueen21 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I think most people just assumed you meant taking some kind of pill as opposed to distractions, which is what it sounds like you're actually talking about. People around here get pretty defensive when something pops up that sounds like it may not be safe or effective. I'm sure there are plenty of binge eating groups around here you can join that have a bunch of folks like yourself involved; you all can talk together. As for me, when I feel hungry, I eat. If it's false hunger from boredom, or thirst, I even drink something, or find something to keep me busy. But if you have binge eating disorder that probably won't work for you. I'm sure some of the folks in the groups will have better tips since they can probably relate better.
  • MouseFood
    Options
    MouseFood wrote: »
    I'm not just talking about tea or herbal supplements. I mean anything that works for YOU.

For me, it's not to stop me being hungry,

You're right, though. It seems like people on these forums are very defensive.

• kailibertsch
    kailibertsch Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Don't feel bad. As another poster said, I think the title of the post might have misled people as to what your intentions were. After actually reading it, I understood you were just looking for tips or tricks others might use to get from one meal time to another without mindlessly snacking. I think it is great other MFP users are so concerned for others, but I think sometimes it can derail an innocent post.
  • MouseFood
    Options
    Thanks, Kaili, I really appreciate it.

I always feel like I mean well and when someone misinterprets, it leaves me never wanting to come back to the forums.

The WHOLE POINT in my coming back to the forums was to try to get support for my eating disorder. Ironic, considering ...

• neveragain84
    neveragain84 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I have some serious reservations regarding this post and the fact that the OP is planning an eating disorder thread. It sounds like a disaster in the making. I literally spend hours on this site being the voice for ED and recovery, and I hate the idea that someone looking for appetite suppression would feel qualified to lead such a discussion.

I'm not planning 'leading' a group/discussion. I'm just planning on starting an conversation so that we can all share with each other. I never said that I was qualified in any area.

Also, I made it clear that when I was talking about appetite suppressants that I meant things that stop you from eating when you don't really need to eat.

I am NOT talking about avoiding eating altogether or starving yourself. I thought that was pretty clear, but apparently not.

My eating disorder, not that it's any of your business, is binge eating disorder. Those of us with this disorder eat too much on a very regular basis, usually due to not dealing with boredom/loneliness/difficult emotions in a more healthy way.

However, when I said for any kind of eating disorder, I meant that a group/discussion could be place for anyone who suffers from any ED but who WANTS TO BECOME HEALTHIER could talk about their issues in a safe place ...

From the comments I've seen, I'm already realizing that MFP is NOT the safe place I had hoped.

I hope you change your mind. I've found most here to be very open and caring and, yes, brutally honest. For many, ED hits very close to home and is a touchy subject. I believe you weren't trying to start anything. I'm unsure, but there may be groups out there, already. Feel free to add me and I hope you stick around.

• Lexicpt
    Lexicpt Posts: 209 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    My Wellbutrin (prescription) is an appetite suppressant for me without even trying. I also take a dose of Garcinia Cambogia, fish oil and a multi-vitamin daily. :smile: )

I believe that fueling your body with the nutrients it needs is a natural appetite suppressant.
  • MouseFood
    Options
    thank you guys. i appreciate it. x

Lexi, you reminded me I should be taking the omegas. I am vegetarian so I used to get those seaweed based ones. I should start taking them again.
  • msbengbeng
    msbengbeng Posts: 59 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

Hi,

I am not acting as an advocate for weight loss medication. No one can or should give medical advice over the internet. With that said, if you do indeed have a Binge eating disorder, and other methods are not working for you. Vyvanse was recently FDA approved for complusion eating. It was used primarily for ADHD. I have not taken this medication, just encountered the recent change in educational reading. I wish you the very best on your journey!
  • MouseFood
    Options

[/quote]

Hi,

I am not acting as an advocate for weight loss medication. No one can or should give medical advice over the internet. With that said, if you do indeed have a Binge eating disorder, and other methods are not working for you. Vyvanse was recently FDA approved for complusion eating. It was used primarily for ADHD. I have not taken this medication, just encountered the recent change in educational reading. I wish you the very best on your journey![/quote]

Thanks! I'm totally going to ask my doctor about that the next time I go, because I'm on an anti-depressant right now that sort of works, and is also supposedly good for compulsive behaviour and is prescribed to those with eating disorders, however, I think it's more for those with anorexia and/or bulimia, not binge eating disorder, because the compulsion to overeat is different to the compulsion to purge/starve. I don't know why, it just is. I think something different drives it. Anyway, I sometimes wonder if the drug I'm on actually makes my brain tell me to eat more not less, which would probably be a GOOD THING for people who are underweight , but a really bad thing for me.

I'm going to ask about Vyvanse, ty. It may be different in the UK but at least I can ask. Incidental, I think I might have some form of ADHD or OCD anyway.
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Try this. This work for me after 15 minutes or less. 1 scoop of muscle pharm protein power + 1 T of chia seeds. I got muscle pharm combat protein from Costco. It has 5 kinds of protein in there feed your muscle up to 8 hours. I feel energy, NO craving after taking it.
  • caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I was wondering if anyone uses any appetite suppressants, and what ones they find most helpful? I'm not just talking about tea or herbal supplements. I mean anything that works for YOU.

For me, it's not to stop me being hungry, but really to either give my teeth/mouth some taste satisfaction even when I'm not hungry, or to distract me from the binge instinct.

For instance, for me, I often find that brushing my teeth and/or using mouthwash helps, or chewing a piece of sugar free gum.

What works for you??

Self control. Spacing my meals so that I'm not waiting too long and getting hungry. Exercise..
  • JAT74
    JAT74 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    I find pre-logging on MFP to be a good appetite suppressant. If I know I'll have a busy day I either plan and log my days food the night before or first thing in the morning and that way I can see what I will be eating without having to think about it again. It also helps if I know I'll be going out for a meal as I can save most of my calories for that and spread out a few lower calorie meals or snacks throughout the rest of the day at other times so I don't get too hungry.

If you pre-log or log a little in advance you don't get tempted because you know all your calories are accounted for that day.

From time to time I also add in another workout if I can to allow myself a bit more to eat if I am particularly hungry that day.
  • MouseFood
    Options
    thanks for the tips :D