Miserable

Options
I have decided to try to lose weight once again. I have been diagnosed with Fatty Liver disease caused by obesity and i have no idea how to make anything work out permanently. I am afraid of relapsing into smoking after almost a year of quitting (which is what started my re-obesity I am certain). I know I am capable of becoming "healthy" again and quite quickly, however the healthier I get the more depressed and sad I am, starved and with no means to deal with stress.

Replies

• EricJonrosh
    EricJonrosh Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Are you exercising?
  • Dionysos4
    Dionysos4 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    No, I no longer find exercise enjoyable.
  • thatsillyshana23
    thatsillyshana23 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    How is your motivation? Your liver might motivate you a little, but is it enough to push you to find new coping mechanisms? What do you think is causing the depression and is it something you can control?
  • EricJonrosh
    EricJonrosh Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Are you only looking for what's enjoyable?
  • Dionysos4
    Options
    No, the diagnosis doesn't mean much to me. For that matter, I don't even think a terminal diagnosis would change anything - I don't really feel like its happening to me but to someone else.
  • Dionysos4
    Options
    What hope is there to stick to something which is not enjoyable? Surely any meaningful weight loss must be enjoyable, therefore precipitating further permanent weight loss rather than reverting to happy weight gain.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Maybe talking to your doctor or a therapist about depression would be a good place to start.
  • Katerina9408
    Katerina9408 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    djmclay4 wrote: »
    I have decided to try to lose weight once again. I have been diagnosed with Fatty Liver disease caused by obesity and i have no idea how to make anything work out permanently. I am afraid of relapsing into smoking after almost a year of quitting (which is what started my re-obesity I am certain). I know I am capable of becoming "healthy" again and quite quickly, however the healthier I get the more depressed and sad I am, starved and with no means to deal with stress.
    My suggestion is to try veganism starch (to eat cooked vegan food)/ Rawtill4 (eating raw vegan food till dinnet when you eat cooked) or fully raw. The benefits are a lot
    not only that your skin will be more clear,you will get rid off acne,that you will lose weight TEMPORARY if you make it a lifestyle,you won't be constipated anymore (no dead flesh in your guts),you will have more energy,no mood swings ( I have to tell you before I become vegan I was constantly agressive and depressed so much that I needed to take pills and now I don't),you don't have to restrict on fuits and veggies, also many claim that they have reversed heart diseases,obesity and diabetes and the most important (at least for me) is that you help nature and animals.
  • Dionysos4
    Options
    No, I can't allow something like depression on my medical record: it would screw me up for life.
  • Katerina9408
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I also think that the depression might be caused by the lack of glucose and carbs.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Maybe talking to your doctor or a therapist about depression would be a good place to start.

+1 you really need to talk to someone.
  • Katerina9408
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Crappy doctors don't do anything, they stuffed me with pills and always told me how sick when I had bulimia. But the fact is that you are the only one who can help yourself. I did it for myself, for my parent and for my boyfriend because I didn't wanted to waste their money and energy on me. Pills will make you only more depressed and you will gain weight belive me, I know.

• Dionysos4
    Options
    I have talked to doctors and dieticians and therapists about some parts of it. They said that I don't need help but rather mental strength although I hadn't told them that I was a former smoker and alcoholic.
  • Victoriamrs
    Victoriamrs Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you might benefit from seeking some professional help. I would recommend that you go back to your Doctor and let him or her know that you need some help with your weight loss. A counsellor may also help with the stress and depression as there may be some underlying issues that you are not aware of and need to work through.

I wish you all the best. :)
  • thatsillyshana23
    thatsillyshana23 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    This is something that has to come from inside of you. Being dishonest with health care providers won't help you. You might not even be diagnosed as depressed and if you see a good mental health counselor, they can even work with you without a diagnosis, but that would depend on your insurance or if you're paying out of pocket. Either way, you're lacking motivation. Try taking small steps towards being healthy. Force yourself to do things like exercise, even if it is going for a walk to listen to music. Try changing your behaviors and that might change your moods. Keeping a journal/record of your moods might also help. There are phone apps for that if you want it to be in your pocket.

Make a list of some things you can stick to as short term goals and then a list of long term goals. Find some motivation!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    I have talked to doctors and dieticians and therapists about some parts of it. They said that I don't need help but rather mental strength although I hadn't told them that I was a former smoker and alcoholic.

Well what comes across is that you dont have the motivation,the game plan or knowledge to get you to where you want to be. Not least because you dont even know whether you want to get there and have doubts about whether you can be bothered to commit. Commiting involves understanding whats required and being prepared to take action to achieve those aims as well as accepting that other things come with trying to achieve this.

Do you really want to lose weight? Cant you list down reasons about how your life would be improved and wouldnt it be a worthwhile thing to aim for?
  • Dionysos4
    Options
    This is what I can think of off the top of my head.

Positives of weight loss:

1. I might not die early from disease
    2. I may one day be considered attractive
    3. I might spend less money on food
  • Dionysos4
    Options
    Oh, I'm sorry. I know I'm not being particularly inspiring. Just frustrated if you understand. Has anyone made light of a similar situation?
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

fatty liver disease is caused by alcoholism as well, not just obesity.you need to see a professional as it does sound like depression .you need to be honest with your doctors about the drinking and smoking as well. they cant help if they have no idea. why cant you have depression on you health record? a lot of people deal with depression. and should not affect a medical record.If you want to lose the weight you have to want to do it and you have to put in that commitment,if you arent willing to try then there is no point.also starved and healthy dont belong in the same sentence.exercise is also a great stress reducer and elevates your mood. try walking a short distance and see how that goes. a short walk could do wonders for your mood and your health. But definitely talk to someone about being depressed
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    For a lot of people, that first push to a new exercise or new routine is decidely not enjoyable. But you do it because you know you will enjoy the benefits. And, after time, it often does become rather tolerable and a welcome part of your self-care routine.

Not everyone has an exercise that makes them grin with glee and get super excited. You don't necessarily have to be thrilled to pieces about every part of your health-care rituals. Showering, applying deoderant, clipping your toenails, doing laundry. It just has to be done, so you do it. And you know you'll feel better afterward or see some results after the cumulative effects.

So you might not find it particularly enjoyable to walk around the block every day. But keep in mind that after you've done that nearly every day for a few months and kept a reasonably healthy diet, you'll start seeing changes in your body.