Whole 30 - have you heard of or tried?

Options
One of my training coaches has suggested that I follow the Whole 30 eating plan. From what I have learned so far, it is a 30 day program where you eat nothing but "whole" foods with absolutely no additives for 30 days. If you slip up, say have a glass of wine or eat bread, you start the 30 days over. Seems incredibly strict, but maybe(???) that's just what I need right now.

Just wondering what others know about this program.

Replies

• IGbnat24
    IGbnat24 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    In addition to added sugar, processed foods, and alcohol, you cannot eat any grains, legumes, or dairy. I would die without dairy. The emphasis on whole, unprocessed foods is great, but cutting out food groups is a no go for me. Moderation is a wonderful thing when it comes to eating healthy. I see no reason for fads.
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I don't do any program that excludes foods. I try to eat a regular diet and keep it in my macros. For me denying myself things just sets me up to overdo.
  • SkepticalOwl
    SkepticalOwl Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Sounds miserable and totally unnecessary.
  • Fit_in_Folsom
    Fit_in_Folsom Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Whole30 is a great thing from my experience. I don't think you have to "re-start" if you take in something you should not, but the program is well thought out and does work. It has many benefits above just the weight loss as the goal is to isolate out inflammatory foods/additives and slowly re-introduce to see the impacts.

For me, it was a great experience...
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest going to the whole30 page and REALLY reading up on it. Then decide if it's something you want to do. There's a lot to be said for learning how your body responds to different foods.

Just don't do it as a quick fix 30 day diet. There's a reason to do a whole30. And I'm suspicious of your coach's description of it, and reason for wanting you to try it.
  • farmerpam1
    farmerpam1 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who just finished. It was interesting to watch, she claimed it had something to do with re-teaching her metabolism how to act.(?) I, myself, was not interested in limiting any food groups. I'm a more, all things in moderation type. It is interesting to note her eating habits one week after, she went a little wild with the alcohol, cake, gravy etc. this past weekend. I'd rather fit in what I want as I go, otherwise I'd want the forbidden fruit even more. But that's just me.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    IMO, fad diets are for fad dieters. That's cool for them, but not for me. :)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    IMO, fad diets are for fad dieters. That's cool for them, but not for me. :)
    Have you read anything about whole30?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Any program that cuts out foods i enjoy, does not work for me. I found when I limit foods that I love, I tend to binge more making it difficult to stick to my calorie goal. Having said that, I tend to eat nutrient dense foods the majority of the time (about 80 to 90%) and aim to hit my protein goals and try to get 30 to 50g of fiber a day. I believe you can hit a balanced diet without a lot of restrictions. While I would admit I do not know that program, if you want to incorporate parts of it and aim to get more nutrient dense foods it can only benefit you more.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Any program that cuts out foods i enjoy, does not work for me. I found when I limit foods that I love, I tend to binge more making it difficult to stick to my calorie goal. Having said that, I tend to eat nutrient dense foods the majority of the time (about 80 to 90%) and aim to hit my protein goals and try to get 30 to 50g of fiber a day. I believe you can hit a balanced diet without a lot of restrictions. While I would admit I do not know that program, if you want to incorporate parts of it and aim to get more nutrient dense foods it can only benefit you more.
    Perhaps it's time to read about it. cheers.
  • chatnel
    chatnel Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I saw this on kindle yesterday. Sounds interesting but I do not think I could stick to as it is hard enough just cutting out sugar for me.
  • kimhere
    kimhere Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    It's not a diet at all. I really think people saying its a fad diet should read up on it. It is an elimination. We did the same thing through a dr when we found out my 4yr old (at the time) was celiac. I did it with him and found out I can not tolerate dairy. I have had ibs for as long as I can remember and turns out it is dairy that is the issue. You reintroduce things after. I have many friends that have done it and found out things about how their bodies react to certain foods. Like I said I have never done the actual whole 30 but the same thing under medical care for 60 days.
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    One of my training coaches has suggested that I follow the Whole 30 eating plan. From what I have learned so far, it is a 30 day program where you eat nothing but "whole" foods with absolutely no additives for 30 days. If you slip up, say have a glass of wine or eat bread, you start the 30 days over. Seems incredibly strict, but maybe(???) that's just what I need right now.

What's an additive? And why do you need to avoid them?
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    An additive is something added to food like a food coloring or preservative or spice. Apparently this program is for people with suspected food allergies and is intended to isolate the problem food.
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    An additive is something added to food like a food coloring or preservative or spice. Apparently this program is for people with suspected food allergies and is intended to isolate the problem food.

But OP did not say that she suspected food allergies, let alone that she suspected coloring or preservatives or spices. Sounds like a cult to me.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options

Absolutely nothing wrong with bread or wine (barring any diagnosed medical conditions).
  • LeenaGee
    LeenaGee Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    kimhere wrote: »
    It's not a diet at all. I really think people saying its a fad diet should read up on it. It is an elimination. We did the same thing through a dr when we found out my 4yr old (at the time) was celiac. I did it with him and found out I can not tolerate dairy. I have had ibs for as long as I can remember and turns out it is dairy that is the issue. You reintroduce things after. I have many friends that have done it and found out things about how their bodies react to certain foods. Like I said I have never done the actual whole 30 but the same thing under medical care for 60 days.

Whole 30 was recommended to my daughter by her doctor when she was trying to establish what her allergies were. It is not a diet but an elimination process. Then you slowly
    re introduce foods until you find out what you are allergic to. It is used all the time in Allergy Clinics.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    sounds grim and pointless to me
  • Amanda4change
    Amanda4change Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    The only thing I've eliminated from my diet is liquid milk (and not for weight loss, all of my kids have milk issues either lactose intolerance or milk protein allergies (one of my kids has both) I found that just buying regular milk for me and hubby it was going bad before we drank half of it (at $4 a gallon it was a waste of money) I drink almond milk now. I think it's good if your trying to diagnose a food allergy or sensitivity but it's NOT necessary for weight loss.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    sounds grim and pointless to me

sounds like a potentially useful palette retraining exercise to me.