hot or cold water with lemon

Options
I keep hearing/reading about the benefits of drinking water with lemon daily. Usually it says 'hot' water with lemon, but I was wondering if the benefits were the same or different if cold water was used.
Does lime have the same benefits as lemon?

Replies

• beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    New one on me. I often use lemon in water because it helps the taste, don't know of any other benefit.
  • thingal12
    thingal12 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Warm water is better. It helps my mom not get sick & helps with her arthritis. (She sometimes adds a tad bit of turmeric to it for the joints.) My co worker drinks this too, she says it helps keep her regular and from gaining weight.

You have to drink this first thing in the morning, mind.
  • kamakazeekim
    kamakazeekim Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Mmmm I love lemon in my COLD water!!! I read once that back when sailing ships was the thing it was customary to give a ration of lemons to prevent scurvy and at some point limes became cheaper so the switch was made to them and the scurvy returned because they are not as nutritious as lemons.
  • Irishman62
    Options
    Why don't you google for a doctors or medical website, maybe Dr. Oz's website and post the question there. Dr. Oz. might already have the answer on the website.
  • kellicci
    kellicci Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Yep, I heard a lot of this and I did it for months. I agree it does seem to help with regularity. I don't think it really does anything weight wise.

Here's a link to an article foodmatters.tv/articles-1/cheers-to-drinking-warm-lemon-water
  • CapnVillainBLK
    CapnVillainBLK Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Drinking ice water actually burn calories. Our bodies use energy to warm up the water we drink to body temperature. A general estimation is that drinking 8 glasses of ice water a day will but about 80 calories.
  • jequirity
    jequirity Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I've heard that you have to be careful with drinking too much lemon juice because it actually can be harmful to your teeth.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I drink cold water with lemon because I don't like plain, flat water under most circumstances. I'm not a big fan of stuff like Crystal Light and Mio, so lemon it became. Both times I was pregnant, after 30 or so weeks, I started retaining water like crazy, so my OB suggested water with lemon as a good, mild diuretic.

I just drink it because I like it and because otherwise I tend not to drink enough water. I passed a kidney stone for the first time ever this past December (pain that rivaled childbirth, no joke), so I'm making sure that I drink enough water in order to hopefully prevent another attack.
  • CapnVillainBLK
    CapnVillainBLK Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    And never put lemon in your drink at a restaurant...About 75 percent of lemon wedges had all kinds of harmful bacteria on them.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    RBXChas wrote: »
    I drink cold water with lemon because I don't like plain, flat water under most circumstances. I'm not a big fan of stuff like Crystal Light and Mio, so lemon it became. Both times I was pregnant, after 30 or so weeks, I started retaining water like crazy, so my OB suggested water with lemon as a good, mild diuretic.

I just drink it because I like it and because otherwise I tend not to drink enough water. I passed a kidney stone for the first time ever this past December (pain that rivaled childbirth, no joke), so I'm making sure that I drink enough water in order to hopefully prevent another attack.

Lemon juice (and other citrus) helps prevent kidney stones.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options

Lemon juice (and other citrus) helps prevent kidney stones.

Oh, that's right, I was advised of that as well!
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    lvillani81 wrote: »
    And never put lemon in your drink at a restaurant...About 75 percent of lemon wedges had all kinds of harmful bacteria on them.

The ice is probably dirtier than the lemon.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    kellicci wrote: »

Lots of questionable, unsubstantiated claims at that link.

• laceyn18
    laceyn18 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have no idea why but drinking hot water with lemon helps me go to sleep. I drink it about 30 minutes before I go to bed and I'm out like a light. I have seen no article saying this is a benefit but it seems to make a big difference with me.
  • JenniDaisy
    JenniDaisy Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    There is so much pseudo-science in this thread.

The benefits of drinking water with lemon are a) whatever vitamins dissolve into the water and b) hydration.
    oh, and it'll probably help you poop if it's warm and you drink it on an empty stomach, but any warm beverage will do that.

Drink it if you like it.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Irishman62 wrote: »
    Why don't you google for a doctors or medical website, maybe Dr. Oz's website and post the question there. Dr. Oz. might already have the answer on the website.

Oh holy god, so much no. JenniDaisy is right, the benefits are limited to hydration and a few vitamins. The rest of it is pseudoscience.

And never EVER go to Dr Oz for any kind of advice ever.
  • Amanda4change
    Amanda4change Posts: 620 Member
    Options

I feel your pain, I have chronic kidney stones, for me passing a kidney stone is worse than any of my 3 unmediated childbirths. Actually I would rather go through labor and birth for someone else than have a kidney stone. To much calcium can also cause you to have kidney stones, so can an infection in your kidneys (often caused by an untreated bladder infection).
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Glad someone already pointed out the pseudo science. This thread is just filled with MYTHS that have seem to become general advice over the years.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Drinking ice water actually burn calories. Our bodies use energy to warm up the water we drink to body temperature. A general estimation is that drinking 8 glasses of ice water a day will but about 80 calories.

OMG .. there are people who believe this?
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

OMG .. there are people who believe this?

Yep! Same people who buy unicorn steak :).