Holy Crap!!

Options
I found myself struggling to sleep so I got up and decided to screw around on MFP. I started looking at various peoples diets. Now I am in shock. I see people aren't going over their calories, which is great but I'm finding a lot of people are eating small meals of junk! Where are the vegetables? Come on?!?! Don't take a multivitamin, thinking you're ok and then eat foods loaded with sodium, cholesterol and saturated fat. Eat some damn greens! Losing weight isn't just about dropping lbs, it's about gaining a new, healthy lifestyle! Fix that shortage of vegetables on your plate! Besides you can eat a lot of food if you make wise choices. Sorry had to vent! :)

Replies

• kittyloo123
    kittyloo123 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    i've seen the same thing. I guess some people don't cook, and/or figure that as long as they are under their calories, it's ok to eat fast , and the same junk they were eating before for all their meals.
  • ChristinaRamos
    Options
    I know what you mean!!!! Most people are eating processed crap and are still happy to be under their calories!!!! It's NUTS!
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    perhaps share your food diary..as a way to offer inspiration and advice to the ones you speak of..
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    Here we go again.
  • wildsun
    wildsun Posts: 24
    Options
    I'll occasionally have a single serve bag of cheetos but I live off of good green stuff. If it really interests you or worries you to see people make these mistakes maybe do a blog explaining how it hinders long term weight loss to not kick the junk food.
  • eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I don't think you can just look at someone's journal and judge them and their eating habits...unless of course they at McDonalds everyday and other similar things. I get plenty of veggies but still eat "packaged" foods (nature valley bars..ect). I've been yelled at by a random person looking at 3 days of my journal telling me I wasn't getting enough fresh food or cardio exercise. That week was exceptionally hard for my money wise and I did what I could. In regards to the cardio...I do cardio...it's almost all I do. I walk a lot...and my assumption of his comment was that he looked at one day and didn't see the rest. Judging others without knowing what's the reason behind their journal isn't my idea of fun. (After the random email from this random person I made my journal friends only)

I keep my sodium in check now but I had a hard time the first few months of doing MFP.

I think being judgmental without knowing someones story is just...not cool but...we all have our own opinions. If these people asked for your opinion on their journal then i'd say give it ...if not then it's not your place to tell them they are wrong.
  • Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    And this is exactly why my journal is friends only. Sorry, but I agree that judging others' eating habits is not the best use of time, unless you're specifically asked for advice.
  • sabl3
    sabl3 Posts: 39
    Options
    Whoa whoa, I am not attacking anybody and I do enjoy eating some junk every now and then. I'm human. Some days I even lack some veggies but I don't pack in empty calories. I'm talking about the people who consistently head for the junk food. I'm studying to be a dietitian and I worry about the person as a whole, whether they are doing it right. If they aren't getting adequate nutrition, they are damaging their bodies regardless of the weight loss.
  • lisa35120
    lisa35120 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't judge them because of what they eat... at least they are taking a step towards getting healthy (by being here in the first place, and hopefully eating less). Honestly I haven't been eating very well either lately... I haven't had time or money to buy anything healthy. It's been hamburger helper, fast food, & $5 pizzas for me! Not the healthiest by any stretch of the imagination, but I have had an emotional time lately dealing with the death of a family member and that is the way I have been able to cope... comfort food. I try my best when I can though!
  • Bridgetc140
    Bridgetc140 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Whoa simmer down there! Unless they're holding you down and shoving it down your throat....I'm pretty sure it's none of your beeswax!
  • msmokie
    msmokie Posts: 16
    Options
    I agree with eeeekie, you shouldn't be judging people's food diaries.
  • eeeekie
    Options
    Whoa whoa, I am not attacking anybody and I do enjoy eating some junk every now and then. I'm human. Some days I even lack some veggies but I don't pack in empty calories. I'm talking about the people who consistently head for the junk food. I'm studying to be a dietitian and I worry about the person as a whole, whether they are doing it right. If they aren't getting adequate nutrition, they are damaging their bodies regardless of the weight loss.

And I'm sure it's appreciated also but it just seemed a bit judgmental...sorry. I see it like this....I can't control what other people eat...I try to worry only about my own intake and not what others are in taking unless they ask me. I get that people go through rough times...so I try not to judge. I know right now for the next few weeks it's gonna be tight financially and I'm running extremely low on fruits/veg. Hoping I can get to the store because I'd rather have a delicious cold apple than the crap my step-dad has in the house.
  • megan_mp
    megan_mp Posts: 77
    Options
    I know sometimes I don't take the time to log things that are green, like lettuce, broccoli, zucchini and other veggies. I know they're low, but do have calories. If I bust the calorie bank eating veggies, then hurrah for me!
  • sabl3
    sabl3 Posts: 39
    Options
    Believe me there is nothing wrong with that, vegetables are known to burn more calories during digestion than you're consuming, so I think you're ok if you go over :)
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    I think it's important to remember that everyone here is at a different stage in the process of getting healthy. When many people start, it's a huge deal just to change one or two things. Maybe they start by trying to meet cal goal and doing a little exercise - and don't worry about exact nutrients just yet. And that's ok. Because if that keeps them from being overwhelmed and quitting, then it IS the right way to do it. Hopefully it will lead to more progress and habits they can stick with.

Sure, I cringe when I see a diary where someone is at McD's every single day. But maybe that's an improvement for them - maybe they used to go 3 times a day.

So try to remember, everyone is fighting their own demons, at their own pace. :flowerforyou:
  • eeeekie
    Options
    I think it's important to remember that everyone here is at a different stage in the process of getting healthy. When many people start, it's a huge deal just to change one or two things. Maybe they start by trying to meet cal goal and doing a little exercise - and don't worry about exact nutrients just yet. And that's ok. Because if that keeps them from being overwhelmed and quitting, then it IS the right way to do it. Hopefully it will lead to more progress and habits they can stick with.

Sure, I cringe when I see a diary where someone is at McD's every single day. But maybe that's an improvement for them - maybe they used to go 3 times a day.

So try to remember, everyone is fighting their own demons, at their own pace. :flowerforyou:

Lady, is it too forward to say I love you! LOL...Honestly you're so amazing and so wise!!! A lot of people on this forum could take a note from your book!

edit: oh btw, Lady knows my demons with Sodium lol...she's the one that informed me about it. I had no clue it could deter weight loss or that it had any effect on health. I had no idea that there was a limit on how much you should be consuming or that water was as important as it is lol. Learned a lot from her!
  • skinnyhopes
    skinnyhopes Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Whoa simmer down there! Unless they're holding you down and shoving it down your throat....I'm pretty sure it's none of your beeswax!

I totally agree. No offense, but why do you care about what people are eating?
  • ladyhawk00
    Options
    Just a reminder, folks - You are welcome to voice your opinion and disagree, but please be respectful. Debate is fine, but there is no need to attack or insult other users.

Thank you for your cooperation. :flowerforyou:
    Ladyhawk00
    MyFitnessPal Forum Moderator
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    So true. I cannot,in good conscience, thumbs up someone who is under but not eating healthy meal. It's one thing to have treat but if it is a trend that is not good.

Everyone does have to adapt to new eating habits. MFP helps us do that slowly. It's good to encourage folks to make wiser choices but it is their own choice in the end.
  • ladyhawk00
    Options

Lady, is it too forward to say I love you! LOL...Honestly you're so amazing and so wise!!! A lot of people on this forum could take a note from your book!

edit: oh btw, Lady knows my demons with Sodium lol...she's the one that informed me about it. I had no clue it could deter weight loss or that it had any effect on health. I had no idea that there was a limit on how much you should be consuming or that water was as important as it is lol. Learned a lot from her!

You're too kind. But I'm immensely proud of the progress you've made. :wink: