5 feet tall ladies

Options

Replies

• AmysBoxers
    AmysBoxers Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hello... I'm 5' 1" I started st 128. I am now 122. I want to be back down to 110... but like everyone else... its slow going
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Hey shorties! I am 5'1" my starting weight was 262lbs 6 months ago, and now I am 219lbs! My goal weight is 130-140lbs so I'm nearly at the half-way mark in my journey. :smiley: Feel free to add me!
  • scaryg53
    scaryg53 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    4'11" 3/4 so basically five feet and my goal is 100 lbs. I started at 170 5 years a go. My initial goal was 125 but I'm at 103 now.
  • _Tzefira_
    _Tzefira_ Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    5'0", started at 157, now 133. Would like to get to 120-125.
  • safinarayar
    safinarayar Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    _Tzefira_ wrote: »
    5'0", started at 157, now 133. Would like to get to 120-125.

How long did it take you?
  • safinarayar
    safinarayar Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    scaryg53 wrote: »
    4'11" 3/4 so basically five feet and my goal is 100 lbs. I started at 170 5 years a go. My initial goal was 125 but I'm at 103 now.

That's amazing!
  • lizalmp1234
    lizalmp1234 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1 my goal is 105-115, I just started again, I am at 182 lbs =(
  • spunkyabroad
    spunkyabroad Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Re: shopping - I live in the Netherlands. Land of tall people. Even when I lived in America petite pants were too long on me. And shirts! Argh. 3/4 sleeves are the best thing ever for me. I just have to get pants tailored and mini skirts fit me like knee length skirts, so that's ok. :)
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Re: shopping - I live in the Netherlands. Land of tall people. Even when I lived in America petite pants were too long on me. And shirts! Argh. 3/4 sleeves are the best thing ever for me. I just have to get pants tailored and mini skirts fit me like knee length skirts, so that's ok. :)

Yeah, pants and skirts are easy 'cause it's just a matter of hemming them, usually.

Shirts, jackets, coats and dresses on the other hand? Nothing fits my narrow shoulders or freakishly short torso. And those are among the most complicated alterations to do, so they either cost a fortune or simply aren't possible.
  • huango
    huango Posts: 1,007 Member
    Options
    Um hello, what about small feet?
    I wear size 2-3 in children!!!

Try finding sneakers withOUT Disney design on them.
    So when I find a pair of nice/cute shoes, I buy them.
    For no special occasions or need, but just to buy them because they are actually my size or NEAR my size. I love gel-pads, to make it fit better/be less loose.
  • trina1049
    trina1049 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Thank goodness the regular petites fit me great. Easy to find in South Florida.
  • RaspberryTickleChicken
    Options
    WEEEE look at all us 'fun size' :D

44 yo
    4'10"
    SW 133 lbs
    CW 94 lbs (maintaining for 18+ mos)
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    By the way, this is a post I wrote a while back on another short women thread, with some tips on losing weight while short. Of course, these won't apply to everyone, since we're all different. But I hope some of you find these helpful:
    I'm 5'1" and recently hit the 155 mark on the scale, which is the most I've ever weighed and not a number I'd like to see there for very long. In my teens and early 20s I could maintain 105 and be healthy, but now I think 115-120 is more realistic for long term so that's my goal. I know I'll be able to get the first 5-10 pounds off fairly easily, but after that I expect I'll plateau and probably be in here with setbacks asking for your advice. At this point, though, I'd consider fitting back into the jeans I wore when I was 135 to be a major accomplishment! (Ed: I'm past that point now, yay!)

Anyway, in the past when I've been successful at weight loss, it's never really stuck, mostly because the #1 way I shed pounds is when I travel. If I'm not at my desk job, but instead out sightseeing and walking and climbing and hiking and being active morning 'till night, I lose weight easily. But when I get back home, I tend to fall back into my old habits and gain it back. Not good.

So this is a bit more of a "don't do what I did" post than anything with helpful advice. But I'm trying it differently this time around. In addition to all the usual stuff -- logging, exercising, etc. I think there are a couple of tricks to doing this for women of our height/size:

1. Get comfortable with leaving food on your plate. I have to keep reminding myself that restaurant portions are like clothes and chairs -- they're made for average-sized *men* and therefore way too big for me. Restaurant portions have gotten so big lately, and even packaged portions at the grocery store are way out of whack. It took me a while to get socially comfortable enough to eat half of what's on my plate and simply send the rest back. Yes, I had enough. Yes, I'm full. No, I don't want a doggie bag, thanks very much.

2. Recognize that one size doesn't fit all when it comes to calculators. The estimates on calculators and tools -- especially free online ones -- tend to also be made for those aforementioned 5'9" men, and extrapolated from there. So at the smaller end of the height spectrum for us ladies, they could be wildly inaccurate. I use them as a starting point and then listen to my body.

3. Find a physical activity that suits your body type. I ski in the wintertime, for example; skiing is a sport that isn't height-dependent to succeed. I've tried spinning classes and been frustrated by spin bikes that don't adjust small enough for me to properly reach the pedals or the handlebars. A basketball league would be a terrible idea for someone my height (unless I were unusually talented) but a squash league might work. I think the key is not to fight our bodies, but to work with them.

4. Get some awesome tailored clothing that makes you feel great about yourself. Weight loss is *much* easier when we're not battling self-esteem issues. Unfortunately, body image gets all tied up in the media "ideal" of long, tall, leggy women with willowy limbs. We're never going to look like that no matter how thin we get. But that's okay. Buying some awesome petite-proportioned clothes -- or finding a great local tailor who can adjust them for me -- is one trick I use to feel svelte and sexy in whatever I'm wearing. After all, it's not my fault that the fashion industry would prefer to pretend that women under 5'10" don't exist. I know I'm awesome at any size.
  • many_splendored
    many_splendored Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    5'3", have been as low as 133, as high as 210, am currently at 169. I'll take all the support I can get to get back down to the 130's somewhere.
  • KHaverstick
    KHaverstick Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'0", and my goal is 115. I joined MFP the first time in 2011 to lose the weight I gained with baby #1. I was 180-something at my heaviest, and probably 160 postpartum. I did get back down to 115 with the help of MFP, and maintained until I got pregnant again. Didn't gain as much with #2. I'm now about 8 lbs from goal.
  • dizzzigrl
    dizzzigrl Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    5'1.5" (that .5 is important! :D ) and I'm thinking around 125-130. I'm older and rather well-endowed and have been that weight before.

I agree! we are the same height, and I totally claim that .5!

• deannaxsmithx
    deannaxsmithx Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    4'9" currently at 134lbs. goal is 118lbs
  • Nadiabear14
    Options
    5 ft 0

goal weight to look good in the mirror.

Add me because i love have friends :)
  • Laurensanders30
    Options
    4ft 11
  • huango
    huango Posts: 1,007 Member
    Options
    Didn't realize that there are so many of us "Shorties" out there.
    None of my tall Amazon friends can relate when I whine about how little calories I get.

One of my friend's cut = what I eat for maintenance.

Going to a fundraiser next weekend: need to get my dress hemmed, even with 4inch heels on!!!