Alternatives to butter. Baking with coconut flour

Options
maggleberrypie
maggleberrypie Posts: 29 Member
Hi all,

I'm new to baking and Iv recently started baking muffins with coconut flour (for a low carb, high protein treat. I use sweetener, add flaxseed and 1 scoop protein whey). I've been trying to think of ways to cut the amount of butter in the recipe. Today I tried substituting 50% of the butter for avocado but the result was: muffins that fall apart as you try to put them into your mouth! I used plenty of water.

Does anyone have any ideas about what to use so that the mixture stays together? I'm mindful of calories and want to keep this recipe low carb.

Thank you!

Replies

• florecita453
    florecita453 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Olive oil might be a bit healthier but I don't know for sure, but u would still try it because I've noticed that oil makes muffins richer and softer than butter.
    Egg whites will add protein without the carbs and they are sure to keep your muffins from falling apart.
    I make pancakes with almond flour and they are pretty fragile but I add an extra egg white and it keeps them together.
    Also since you are using coconut flour, you also want to make sure your batter isn't too runny. You want it to be thick so they don't crumble as soon as you touch them. If I was you I would use almond milk instead of water.
  • lesliemeyer65
    lesliemeyer65 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    What about unsweatened sauce? Also read that you have to use more eggs or egg whites with coconut flour because it absorbs more liquid than regular flour.
  • karlav1394
    karlav1394 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I've recently tried to cut the butter by substituting half of the butter with unsweetened applesauce. Worked well from what I remember. Also, coconut oil is my FAV substitute for butter, adds such nice flavor and natural sweetness too.
  • V_Mark_V
    Options
    Coconut butter...it might be tough to find but you'll be hooked once you do. The texture reminds me of cookie dough. Alternatively can be made from blending coconut flakes (similar to making peanut butter)
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    I use applesauce in an apple pie bread recipe I make. I use 1/2 the recommended butter, and an entire individual serving cup of applesauce. Works perfectly. Since muffins are generally the same consistency as quick breads, you may be able to experiment and see if that works.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Natural applesauce. Amazing stuff. You would never tell the difference.
  • maggleberrypie
    maggleberrypie Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I looked in the shops for unsweetened Apple sauce but I could just find variations for Bramley Apple sauce. I like Apple sauce and it would go well with the raspberry coconut flour muffins I'm making anyway so I'm going to try it! I've never tried coconut oil but as long as it helps the mixture stay together, I'll try it! I've been eating my dry muffin batch with a cup of tea so that it doesn't get stuck in my throat ha!
  • gloria470
    Options
    I make my own apple sauce to add instead of butter, peel 2 apples,cut them up then, toss in blender.
  • DaFibble
    DaFibble Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Olive oil might be a bit healthier but I don't know for sure.

It almost certainly is, if you go by the science and not the marketing hype. Too little is known about coconut oil's real impact on health and the potential long term risks may be high due to its unusual qualities. Fresh, young olive oil, on the other hand, has been studied a great deal and we know for sure it is beneficial for all sorts of disease prevention.