Is anyone out there juicing?

Options
Is juicing a great way to kick off a healthy lifestyle??????

Replies

• CapnVillainBLK
    CapnVillainBLK Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Steroids!?!?!
  • Cinnabun1985
    Options
    Huh????
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I don't juice, I make smoothies as I refuse to throw away the best and most nutritious part.... the PULP. I need the fibre
  • CapnVillainBLK
    CapnVillainBLK Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Right, if you are meaning juicing as in taking steroids then no, that is lot healthy.

If you mean juicing as in fruits and veggies, then yes it could be. Try sticking the juicing veggies more than fruit. Too much fruit can lead to insulin spikes in the blood due to the sugar in fruit. It can especially be harmful to people with diabetes.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    Huh????

"juice" is what some people call steroids. eg "he's on the juice"
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I prefer food. But I supposed a nice juice couldn't hurt. I don't know how it would help kick off a healthy style unless you really liked juice...or something.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Do you mean in the sense that you replace meals with juices? If so, no. If you want to lose weight, eat less calories than you burn, but make those calories real food. If you want to meet nutritional needs, make sure you get all your vitamins through real food.

If you simply love homemade juice, shoot, add it to one of your snacks, have it as a snack, add it to your meal(s), but keep in mind that it has no special properties.

You need your fiber too, so make sure you eat plenty of foods with fiber, which include fruits and vegetables.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    If your asking this because you want to lose weight,
    Weight loss is About calories in , calories out. Eat at a deficit, and you'll lose weight. Juicing is fine, as long as you eat real foods too , but won't aide in weight loss unless your at a deficit. So the bottom line in cico always
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Honestly if you're on a lower calorie diet I would reccomend not drinking too many of your calories. The other think to keep in mind with juicing is that it removes all the fibre (which is awesome for keeping you full and regular etc.) and leaves all the sugars. If you have room for it in your daily calories it's not terrible but you'd be better off just eating your fruit and veggies IMHO.

I don't think juice is a good meal replacement as you'll be missing out on protein and fats, which are important.

If you're set on the idea of drinking your calories or for a convienience thing, smoothies are probably a better option. They're a bit more versitile in that you can add protein powder and fats to make them into a more balanced meal and you don't remove the fibre either
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Juicing to lose weight is a faddy, expensive gimmick and a waste of time long term

Eat real food to a calorie defecit
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I know juicing to gain weight is a great way to go. A relative of mine is underweight and her doctor advised her to drink fruit juices instead of eating fruits whole, because it's easier to "drink" 4 oranges than it is to eat them without all the filling fiber - she would feel full after eating half an orange, but the full feeling would go away quickly after drinking a cup of juice.

If you like juices, drink them within your calorie allowance. If you only want to drink them to lose weight, don't bother. Juices don't have any magical weight loss properties, and you would feel fuller eating actual food than drinking juice.
  • markiend
    markiend Posts: 461 Member
    Options

No

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I don't juice, I make smoothies as I refuse to throw away the best and most nutritious part.... the PULP. I need the fibre

This.If you're going to do it, I'd recommend green smoothies.

I have one for breakfast sometimes.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    NO!