Soft Drink/ Pop/ Soda whatever you call it.

Options
during your weight loss did you completely remove fizzy drinks or just cut down on them?
During the week I am fine and can go with little to no fizzy drink but as soon as it's the weekend I'm drinking fizzy drinks with the rest of the family, is this damaging to my progress?
Would you suggest cutting it out completely?

Replies

• CapnVillainBLK
    CapnVillainBLK Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I replaced SODA with zevia, which are sodas made with the natural sweetener, stevia. They took some getting used to, but 0 calories and the fizzyness kept me buying them. I think Dr Zevia and Cola are the best flavors.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    I drink coke zero like there is no tomorrow. I love that stuff!
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I pretty much quit drinking the stuff years before my diet began. It isn't exactly health food. Now I may drink six cans a year.
  • miriamtob
    miriamtob Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I would really try to cut out fizzy drinks with high sugar content. Diet sodas can mess with your insulin response as well. There are some healthier options that might be worth exploring for your fizzy drink fix such as, sparkling water with lemon or a splash of juice. I know it is a hard habit to break. Good luck!
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    i dont drink soda at all.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Diet Pepsi. Never gave it up. 89 pounds down.
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    There's really no need to cut them out completely. Just make sure you are figuring them into your calories if you are drinking the regular soda rather than diet. I usually drink water, but I have the occasional fizzy drink as I crave the fiz sometimes. They can be calorie heavy though so watch out for that if you drink the regular, but if you want one or two on the weekend, I don't see the big deal. Everything in moderation.
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    If it's something you really love, I wouldn't cut it out completely, but just limit your intake. Can't not go without? Have some (if it's within your daily intake of course), but have it in a small glass.

I stopped drinking soft drinks about 3 years ago (after being a 2L a day diet coke drinker), but still love the fizz, so I go for sparkling mineral water. I'm assuming by your username you're a fellow Aussie, so if you still like having the flavour, you can go for the schweppes/woolies brand "mineral water with a twist of peach/lemon/lime/tangerine/berry" instead of whatever the rest of your family is having. I also hear the new Nudie range of soft drinks are really nice.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    There are no, zero, zilch, nada health risks associated with diet soda. Like I said, I drink coke zero, 0 calories and tastes great. Don't let the doom and gloomers convince you otherwise.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    No as long as you log it and it fits into your daily intake it's fine. Enjoy it if you like it.
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    I've also recently discovered these drinks called Sparkling Ice. They're pretty good, and don't have as much of a fake taste that some diet sodas have. The blackberry is my favorite. Not sure if you have them where you are though.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    lvillani81 wrote: »
    I replaced SODA with zevia, which are sodas made with the natural sweetener, stevia. They took some getting used to, but 0 calories and the fizzyness kept me buying them. I think Dr Zevia and Cola are the best flavors.

This...I like the ginger ale flavor. I drink maybe two 6-packs a year. Absolutely no pop with sugar or aspartame, anything fizzy consumed with major moderation.

It's not just about weight loss--I am concerned about long-term health.
  • Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    Options
    I drink a butt ton of diet soda, actually. Probably more than I ever drank of normal soda.

It's a lifestyle choice.
  • bronzeambition
    bronzeambition Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I love La Croix water. It's carbonated water and is sugar-free, sodium-free, and doesn't have any added artificial sweeteners. I've never been a soda drinker, but I can say that they definitely don't taste like soda, but still have all the fizz of soda.
  • diegops1
    diegops1 Posts: 154 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I like Coke, Cherry Coke and Dr. Pepper. Luckily there is a convenience store between home and work that still carries the 12 oz cans. About 45 years ago a friend of mine quit smoking by smoking half a cigarette and then throwing the rest away. Soon he was up to smoking a couple drags and throwing the rest of the pack away. I recently adopted his process and drink a couple swallows up to about 6 oz and throw the rest away. I just wish they still had 6 and 8 oz sodas like when I was a kid.
  • GreenValli
    GreenValli Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    I cut WAY down. Drink one diet Coke about every 10 days. I had been drinking almost one a day.
    70044776.png
  • altogirl2
    altogirl2 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    diegops1 wrote: »
    I like Coke, Cherry Coke and Dr. Pepper. Luckily there is a convenience store between home and work that still carries the 12 oz cans. About 45 years ago a friend of mine quit smoking by smoking half a cigarette and then throwing the rest away. Soon he was up to smoking a couple drags and throwing the rest of the pack away. I recently adopted his process and drink a couple swallows up to about 6 oz and throw the rest away. I just wish they still had 6 and 8 oz sodas like when I was a kid.

I do the same thing. I'll drink about a fourth of the can and by the time I think about it again, it's flat, so I throw it away. It takes away the craving and I'm still losing weight. I do figure it into my daily allowance.

• zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    If you love it, don't cut it completely. Just work it into your day or week. Its about moderation, not deprivation. So as long as it fits, it won't mess with your progress. I like cake. I never gave up cake..I just learned About portion control and moderation. There's no need to cut anything out unless you have a medical condition
  • Try to quit it all together. It is a big inhibitor. I gave that up and bread and saw the biggest results!
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,064 Member
    Options
    OP I changed from drinking regular soft drinks to diet ones like Pepsi Max or coke zero.
    I drink equivalent of a few cans a week - about the same as I did before , just diet instead of regular.

Very occasionally if I really wanted a soft drink and a diet one wasn't available I might have a regular one - but hardly ever happened that diet version wasn't available