Help... need a good running plan

Options
bonjour24
bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
hi everyone.

i really need some help trying to find a new running plan. i completed C25k several weeks ago, and have just been floundering in the abyss since.

i need a plan based around times rather than distances, and i've tried to write one myself but it just doesn't seem to have the 'authority' of one written by someone else, iykwim.

i'm aiming to run the half marathon in oct, and i've tried to increase my times but i'm struggling. i'm already too far in to do c210k- i'm at week 11 or something like that! and my brain does not understand '4x800 at 75%' and that kind of nonsense!!!

and i need something i can print off and cross out when i've done it (gives me a sense of achievement and motivation to keep going).

or is there someone out there who has or is following some kind of plan now to go from 5ks to 20ks, that would be willing to share what they're doing?

thanks in advance

joni

Replies

• Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Have a look at Runkeeper, I am doing a 5k run class now, I think they might have longer run training programs too.
    I paid for this but I think you can read the program and set it up yourself in runkeeper.
  • sabl3
    sabl3 Posts: 39
    Options
    Check out coolrunning.com! It's awesome!
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    just keep doing what you are doing...scale it up as neccesary. you dont need a set program from a site.

you could use the C25K template and just progress it yourself??
  • bonjour24
    Options
    just keep doing what you are doing...scale it up as neccesary. you dont need a set program from a site.

you could use the C25K template and just progress it yourself??

yeah, i tried this but just lost my motivation with it abit- i don't know why. i think it's a psychological thing for me that i think i need someone else to set those little goals for me to get to my bigger goal. i am no expert on exercise!!!

maybe i'm expecting miracles?

all i know is that i need something to stick to the side of the fridge that i can follow, then when i've done it i can cross it out. but nothing that is more confusing to read that algebraic equations.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I found a B210K (the program to work up to 10k after C25K) that is in the same format at C25K - simple intervals... none of the confusing "4x800 at 75%" as you put it. I found it on my phone, but I'm sure you can find one that works for you. Here's one example:
    http://blog.c25kapp.com/about-bridge-to-10k/ (six week)
    and another:
    http://blog.c25kapp.com/2010/01/19/10k-running-plan/ (10 week)

Also try searching "Ease into 10k"

If you feel the beginning weeks of any of these programs are too easy, then pick up at the appropriate week in the program - find a program that's styled in a way that works for you, and then tweak it as needed to fit your specific needs.

Good luck!
  • Hollie_downunder
    Options
    I have the runkeeper app on my iphone (if you have one, or similar) i would really recommend it! :)
    then you can make your own coaching session on there to keep you motivated

i also love seeing the improvement on how far/fast etc, really keeps me going when i feel like i can't do it!

(i'm also hoping to do 14kms in August though about to run my first 5km race in less than two weeks and CAN'T WAIT!)
  • clioandboy
    clioandboy Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    If you have an iPhone there is a new app out half marathon trainer it looks fantastic but won't work with my touch.... Am not happy hope you Can access it!
  • snusp
    snusp Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the halfmarathon programm from Adidas' miCouch app. Seems good and has different levels for different paces,
  • sara_m83
    sara_m83 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    When I finished C25k, I stuck with running 5km distances 3-4x a week for about a month or 6 weeks. At that time, I thought this was the most I could expect out of myself and focused on improving time. Slowly, I began adding distance. Each week, I pushed myself to go 500m or 1km further. WIthin 2 months, I began consistently running 10km distances 3-4x a week. Just set yourself a daily/weekly goal and go for it. If you don't have an app that can tell you distances (I use the Nike+ app that comes standard on iphones), go by time. You can currently run 30 minutes straight, so amp it up to 40, then 50, then 60.
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options

yeah, i tried this but just lost my motivation with it abit- i don't know why. i think it's a psychological thing for me that i think i need someone else to set those little goals for me to get to my bigger goal. i am no expert on exercise!!!

maybe i'm expecting miracles?

all i know is that i need something to stick to the side of the fridge that i can follow, then when i've done it i can cross it out. but nothing that is more confusing to read that algebraic equations.

I think i meant to write out you're own, based on what you have been doing.
    Print it out.
    Slap on fridge.
    run.
    run again.
    Win??
    hehe.

I myself find it more satisifying when i've worked through my own set programming.

But if thats not for you, then anything that's been mentioned already (C210K etc) will probably get you moving in the right direction - or rather keep you moving in that direction!

You sound like you have done really well so far!
    Good stuff! Keep it up!
  • threechins
    threechins Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'd go for do it yourself.

My approach is three to four runs a weeks, one of them a long run and the others at your base distance. In our case, 2-3 at 5k and one long run.

The general rule of thumb is that you don't increase overall distance by more than 10% a week, and don't increase any run by more than 10%. (Sorry that's a bit formulaic.)

I love the Nike+ set-up. It has good training plans and, once calibrated is fairly accurate, helps with that appeal of tracking progress and setting goals.
  • Hodgeypodgy
    Hodgeypodgy Posts: 45
    Options
    Joni,

Have a look at this website. http://www.taketothestreets.org/default.aspx

I think I'm going to use it for half marathon training, to get ready for the 10 miler I have in Oct.

You will be alright as long as you have willpower and determination - which I know you do!! We can both do this!!
  • guidnca
    guidnca Posts: 64
    Options
    If you get a schedule...I would be willing to help decipher the codes of running at 75%, etc. I have coached a couple of marathon groups. i love this stuff.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    This one is good for someone just finishing C25K

http://www.halhigdon.com/halfmarathon/novice.htm
  • bonjour24
    Options
    awesome guys. thanks v much!

because i'm floundering, i thought i'd stick with what i know so am doing the last 3 weeks of c210k, but i'm adding some strength stuff in too to see if that helps at all.
    but i would be keen in 2 1/2 weeks time to have another plan all set up to get me to the half. i want to be comfortable doing the half too. i'll have about 20 weeks to get from 10ks to 21ks. that should be doable.
  • c2sky
    c2sky Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    great suggestions on this thread.

I trained for one of my half marathons with a three day program from Runner's world. And it actually worked. Last time, though, I went to 4 days per week because I do A LOT of other cardio too.

Strength training is really good. As a trainer and runner myself, I recommend lots of glute training and single limb training. Where are you doing your strength training at?

Oh, and by the way. I started to take out my strength training for a full marathon I was training for because I tried to be open minded and do the "Chi running program" I developed terrible TFL syndrome. I nearly had to back out of my marathon. Then a physical thereapist confirmed my suspicions that I had developed inbalances due, in part, to stopping my lower body strength training. I received massage, and I beefed up my strength training and I was back to normal, and successfully ran a full marathon pain free.
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    http://www.halhigdon.com/halfmarathon/novice.htm

I know you said you wanted times rather than distances, but you can just convert it to times if you know your average minute per mile.
  • bonjour24
    Options
    i've had a fair look around, and i think i'm going to go with hal. thanks everyone!