Debate with partner

Options
We are both trying to eat more healthy - living in a long distance relationship - and we are having a debate. She says that my smoothie is unhealthy:
- 1 cup Silk
- 1/3 cup Raspberry
- 1/3 cup Peach
- 1/3 cup Mango (If I don't have mango, I substitute in SunRype Slim Tropical Mango)
- few scoops of hemp hearts.

I'm thinking of maybe throwing some spinach in there too?

Replies

• hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Not sure what would be unhealthy about it
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Ask her why she thinks it's unhealthy. To me, it's not.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Did she say WHY she thinks it is unhealthy?
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Looks good to me.
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Some people think (typically because of things they read) that sugar is "unhealthy" and since most of your smoothie is fruit, she probably assumes it's not healthy because of the sugar content. Which, in my opinion, if you aren't diabetic or pre-diabetic, sugar shouldn't be an issue. Adding spinach would definitely add nutrients, which would make it healthier, but I think you have to decide what your "definition" of healthy is.
  • HealthyHappyKyla
    HealthyHappyKyla Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I think she is saying that just because there is so much fruit in it. Fruit is not unhealthy, but adding some vegetables will add some nutrients for your body, which is also a great way to get some vegetables in if you're someone who doesn't like them. :)
  • alonzo15
    alonzo15 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I would say that your smoothie is not UNhealthy but not nearly as healthy as it could be (if that makes sense :smile: ) I would eliminate 1 fruit and add kale or spinach (or both!) and it will still taste very good and offer more nutrients.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Weight the fruit instead of using a cup.
    Are you measuring the hemp carefully?
    The ingredients themselves are great. Add the spinach if you want.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    "Healthy" is subjective. "Healthy" is also context-dependent. You aren't eating smoothies 24/7. You aren't eating chips 24/7. So a diet can be healthy while still consuming "bad" foods.

Your smoothie is fine. I would replace the hemp with protein powder and the milk with grek yogurt, but that's my personal preference. And I'd add in nutella or PB if needing a higher calorie smoothie.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    "Healthy" is subjective. "Healthy" is also context-dependent. You aren't eating smoothies 24/7. You aren't eating chips 24/7. So a diet can be healthy while still consuming "bad" foods.

Your smoothie is fine. I would replace the hemp with protein powder and the milk with grek yogurt, but that's my personal preference. And I'd add in nutella or PB if needing a higher calorie smoothie.

Ditto. For me it wouldn't have enough protein, but I don't see what's unhealthy with it.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    ana3067 wrote: »

Ditto. For me it wouldn't have enough protein, but I don't see what's unhealthy with it.

This. It wouldn't be a good meal for me, since it's basically just fruit, but if it fits your goals I don't see what's wrong with it.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    If the Silk is soy milk and the hemp scoops are two tablespoons each, then the smoothie could potentially have 25-30 grams protein. Spinach would add more.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    You don't even live together and she is already telling you how to eat? careful.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    mockchoc wrote: »
    You don't even live together and she is already telling you how to eat? careful.
    cosign I'd say that's the bigger issue- not the smoothie.

I'm in a LD relationship (longish- 2 hours -and we see each other mostly weekly mid week- but it's been 3 weeks since the last visit so sometimes it's not)... and no one gets to say boo about it. I mean- we joke- and I tell him he eats like a 5 year old. And honestly his diet worries me- which we address occasionaly- but ultimately he's a grown a!! man and he can eat what he wants.

She shouldn't be up your butt about your smoothie at this point- or any point. so not worth it.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    mhills91 wrote: »
    We are both trying to eat more healthy - living in a long distance relationship - and we are having a debate. She says that my smoothie is unhealthy:
    - 1 cup Silk
    - 1/3 cup Raspberry
    - 1/3 cup Peach
    - 1/3 cup Mango (If I don't have mango, I substitute in SunRype Slim Tropical Mango)
    - few scoops of hemp hearts.

I'm thinking of maybe throwing some spinach in there too?

Why is it unhealthy in her opinion?
    I don't think it is unhealthy. You can tweak it by adding spinach or something but it still isn't unhealthy if you don't change anything.
    Does it fit your goals for the day?
  • Codilee87
    Codilee87 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    As long as the ingredients in your smoothie are actual fruit (fresh or frozen) then it should be just fine. But if that is fruit juice, it might be a bit of a calorie-bomb.
  • mhills91
    mhills91 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Unhealthy with the sugars from the fruit -- not sure whether she was trying to tease me or not (more than likely).

Thanks for all the suggestions! I think I'll probably scrap the mango and add some spinach or kale. Fruit is all frozen (best bang for my buck). Re Greek yoghurt, that's usually part of my lunch! As for the Hemp Hearts -- it's generally about a half a table spoon.

Re her telling me what to eat. She doesn't tell me what to eat -- it was a discussion about both of us trying to eat earlier and the comment was about the sugars in the fruit. We're both trying to eat more healthy and were giving each other a bit of a hard time.

Thanks for everyone's input! I'm trying to make changes one step at a time to eating healthier.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that a LOT of carbs.

If you can handle it and continue to lose weight though...why not?

If you get stalled at some point, you could replace the smoothie with a different breakfast or add more protein/fat and reduce the fruit.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    mhills91 wrote: »
    Unhealthy with the sugars from the fruit -- not sure whether she was trying to tease me or not (more than likely).

Thanks for all the suggestions! I think I'll probably scrap the mango and add some spinach or kale. Fruit is all frozen (best bang for my buck). Re Greek yoghurt, that's usually part of my lunch! As for the Hemp Hearts -- it's generally about a half a table spoon.

Re her telling me what to eat. She doesn't tell me what to eat -- it was a discussion about both of us trying to eat earlier and the comment was about the sugars in the fruit. We're both trying to eat more healthy and were giving each other a bit of a hard time.

Thanks for everyone's input! I'm trying to make changes one step at a time to eating healthier.

Well a lot of people manage to lose weight eating a lot of fruit. For me, they don't satiate me enough for the calories, so I have one serving every few days or something.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    mockchoc wrote: »

That's what you got from that?
    Nothing about the OP suggested anyone was being controlled. Sheesh.