I Want to STOP Craving Foods I Shouldn't Eat!

Options
Is there ANY way to STOP craving those foods I know I shouldn't eat in favor of those that I know are better for me? When I eat well (whole foods), I feel better about myself, and feel better in general. When I slip and succumb to eating those cookies at work, or the treats my kids and I enjoy snacking on, I feel down, guilty and just plain awful.

I loooooove fruits and veggies. But, unfortunately, I also loooooove fried foods and sweets.

I have switched to eating healthy snack versions... but I still have a hankering for the candybar or the chips or whatever have you.

HELP!? Please!!!!!!?????

Replies

• SlowlyLosingLolita
    SlowlyLosingLolita Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I read online that sometimes a craving is a sign that you need water.
    Try and drink a big ol' glass of water and then after see if you still want it.
  • Kiwijay
    Kiwijay Posts: 216
    Options
    After a while you stop craving the things you shouldn't have...I did and then when you have them months later it makes you feel sick and you DO NOT want them anyway. But that is just my experience. Good Luck, they will abate eventually. Apparently pears are the best fruit to eat to stop cravings {so I have been told} :flowerforyou:
  • PrincessLynn2010
    PrincessLynn2010 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Yep. I still want it.

I drink a lot of water.
  • Doing_me
    Doing_me Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Personally, I would not completely stop eating what you love. Especially if you have a sweet tooth ;) I snack on fat reduced peanut butter (1 tbsp = 95 cal!!! ) and there are a lot of other options. You just have to implement little happy-makers into your diet. I have one day of the week that I allow myself some ice cream (and then go work it off at the gym). There are also great 100cal snack bags for example from nabisco...
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I try not to buy them, or just buy a small version, eat half and immediately bin the rest. It is wasteful but I don't think I can worry about that just yet, I need to get into better habits.
    Another thing that helps me is to plan my snacks for the day. Then if I really want chocolate I know that I have some almonds or a trail bar or a peanut butter sandwich waiting for me so I eat that and it distracts me from the other thing I was craving.
    I also recommend finding something to do to keep you busy where you can't eat at the same time (like knitting or dancing or riding a bike). This is a great distraction!
  • 6heatherb6
    6heatherb6 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Personally, I would not completely stop eating what you love. Especially if you have a sweet tooth ;) I snack on fat reduced peanut butter (1 tbsp = 95 cal!!! ) and there are a lot of other options. You just have to implement little happy-makers into your diet. I have one day of the week that I allow myself some ice cream (and then go work it off at the gym). There are also great 100cal snack bags for example from nabisco...
    I agree - don't stop what you really love...or else one day you might binge....think carefully, thoughtfully, remember your goals and it will all fall into place
    All the best,
    :smile:
  • k2d4p
    k2d4p Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    This is my opinion.

The reason you crave them so bad is because you make them off limits. Allow yourself to have them in moderation. Hold yourself accountable and you more than likely won't want them as much.
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    This is my opinion.

The reason you crave them so bad is because you make them off limits. Allow yourself to have them in moderation. Hold yourself accountable and you more than likely won't want them as much.

^^^ This!

In my experience if I don't let myself have things I want it becomes the only thing that I want. I haven't completely cut anything out of my diet. Now I just have the things that I want in moderation and I have them much less often.
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    You don't have to stop craving them, but you should eat less than usual. What helps me to eat well during the week is knowing on the weekend I will be eating some junk. Most of the time, I don't go over on my cals for the weekend, since I prepare accordingly.

Some people can't control their portions and tend to overeat by a lot on weekends no matter what, so it depends on what you know you can or can't do. Either, work your way to eating a minimal amount, by eating half of your normal junk intake for a couple weeks and then keep going down from there every week or two. Or, designate a day where you allow yourself to have what you crave, but never go over what your maintenance calories are, on that day. Or, have a tiny bit every day, but make up for it with exercise. Whatever you do, don't feel the need to "x" it out of your diet completely, as that's not necessary when it comes to a lifestyle change; only a diet..
  • mjemerson
    mjemerson Posts: 141
    Options
    I agree! If you have a craving then I think you should have what you want just watch your portions! I feel like if I deny myself it makes it SO much worse!!