Eating Healthier and How Much I'm Eating

Options
I have a small dilemma with my calorie counting. I have found that when I make healthier choices, I can have larger portions. However, when I make those healthier choices, I can't finish my entire meal which is putting me short of my calorie goal. I eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner with two daily snacks. I don't know if I can't finish my meals because my stomach has shrunk and my meals are just too big or what. Any suggestions?

Replies

• MissBabyJane
    MissBabyJane Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Try eating high calorie food for in-between meals, like nuts? It would add up calories quickly
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I often can't finish my meals since I started on MFP (3 years ago). I split lunches with my husband and have smaller dinners. My kids have always been that way. They eat half their dinner and put the rest in the fridge for later.

I solve the problem by finishing my day and, around 9, having some ice cream with nuts. Not a lot of ice cream - 1/4 cup of Ben and Jerry's - but a few hundred calories. It brings me closer to my goal and I like doing it. I've now maintained for 2 years, so it seems to work for me.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    BTW, if you're really low on calories, a big glass of milk adds a few hundred, toast and butter a few hundred more, etc. It is easy to add in calories.
  • TheEats
    TheEats Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Try eating high calorie food for in-between meals, like nuts? It would add up calories quickly

This. An avocado is over 200 calories on its own, peanut butter is full of calories and still good for you, dressings on salads can add up a lot. It is actually important to get enough fat as well.

People often come here to say that they cannot eat enough, but it is usually a lack of creativity. You can even allow yourself something unhealthy, if most of your food is healthy. Many here enjoy an ice cream treat, a little bit of chocolate or save up some calories for a weekend "cheat" day.
  • callyart
    callyart Posts: 209
    Options
    Drink milk, add some high calorie snacks in the middle such as nuts and seeds, treat yourself?

If I have calories left over that are more than 300-400 I have a treat such as a hot chocolate, or some ice cream. Obviously not every day but a treat once in a while also helps me stick to my goals.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Eat 3 daily snacks, eat 4 daily snacks.

Nuts
    Peanut butter
    Ice cream
    Full fat milk

Add some chia seeds to your meals.
  • JenniDaisy
    JenniDaisy Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    af4ro3juq5b7.jpg

Ice cream,
    a beer,
    Chocolate,
    Chips,
  • rebeccahunt718
    rebeccahunt718 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your help!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Dietary fat is an essential part of a healthy and balanced diet and a little goes a long way...people diet and run in fear of dietary fat...you need dietary fat for a proper diet.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    JenniDaisy wrote: »
    af4ro3juq5b7.jpg

Ice cream,
    a beer,
    Chocolate,
    Chips,
    Wine and cheeeeese!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    JenniDaisy wrote: »
    af4ro3juq5b7.jpg

Ice cream,
    a beer,
    Chocolate,
    Chips,

LOVE this!
    OP - Nut butters, avocados, nuts.
  • Sacha3071
    Sacha3071 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I find adding a cut up apple and a few tbsp's of peanut or almond butter as a snack somewhere fantastic for adding a couple hundred calories when you're running too far below your quota. Or just splurge and have a glass of wine or a beer =)
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    A lot of people just starting out with their diet make the mistake of changing everything at once; they give up all kinds of foods because those foods have been branded by someone as "unhealthy."

Protip: it's your overall nutrition that's "healthy" or "unhealthy," not really individual foods. A healthy diet is not just restricted to fruits and veggies and whole grains and lean protein and leaves everything else out. A healthy diet can also include the occasional slice of pizza or slug of booze or scoop of ice cream or square of chocolate or serving of chips. The trick is to eat those less nutrient-dense foods way less often and as a treat, not as the main source of your calories, and to meet your nutritional needs first by eating the aforementioned fruits and veggies and whole grains and lean protein.

Personally, I reserve about 20%-25% of my daily calorie budget for "treats" that I let myself have as long as I meet my macronutrient goals (enough protein, fats, fiber) first.
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Olive oil... It's a good fat and it will help on calories. You can toss vegetables in it to roast.
  • lolly715
    lolly715 Posts: 106
    Options
    Definitely add healthy fats as others have said. I struggle with volumes of food. As much as I love it, I'm never going to sit down to a plate full of broccoli. It's just too much to eat, even though the calories are very low. For me, upping my fat macro made a big difference. I'm now eating a volume of food that I'm comfortable with, while keeping up the calories.

Chocolate is pretty good for that too, especially the higher fat ones. Lindt Lindor balls are my new secret weapon for getting a bomb of carb and fat grams, which is usually what I need to up by the end of the day. Bonus is their deliciousness.