Options
2»

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    If the Silk is soy milk and the hemp scoops are two tablespoons each, then the smoothie could potentially have 25-30 grams protein. Spinach would add more.
    Agreed. Mine yesterday had 26 grams of protein from hemp, chia, flax, soy and spinach/kale.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    mhills91 wrote: »
    We are both trying to eat more healthy - living in a long distance relationship - and we are having a debate. She says that my smoothie is unhealthy:
    - 1 cup Silk
    - 1/3 cup Raspberry
    - 1/3 cup Peach
    - 1/3 cup Mango (If I don't have mango, I substitute in SunRype Slim Tropical Mango)
    - few scoops of hemp hearts.

I'm thinking of maybe throwing some spinach in there too?

If it were me? I'd swap either the peach or the mango for spinach.
    The soy milk and hemp hearts are a great start on protein. Add some spinach, leave some fruit. Perfection.

Mine today:
    berries
    kale/spinach
    tofu (or soy milk)
    3Tbs hemp hears
    1Tbs chia and flax
    pumpkin
    ginger
    turmeric
  • Sevendust912
    Sevendust912 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Is your girlfriend overweight?
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    mhills91 wrote: »
    Unhealthy with the sugars from the fruit -- not sure whether she was trying to tease me or not (more than likely).

Thanks for all the suggestions! I think I'll probably scrap the mango and add some spinach or kale. Fruit is all frozen (best bang for my buck). Re Greek yoghurt, that's usually part of my lunch! As for the Hemp Hearts -- it's generally about a half a table spoon.

Re her telling me what to eat. She doesn't tell me what to eat -- it was a discussion about both of us trying to eat earlier and the comment was about the sugars in the fruit. We're both trying to eat more healthy and were giving each other a bit of a hard time.

Thanks for everyone's input! I'm trying to make changes one step at a time to eating healthier.

She's wrong.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the smoothie.
    Taking a single meal out of context of an entire diet is a waste of time.
    Eat variety, focus on lots of veg/fruits, watch calories and macros.

Overall, adding or deleting the mangos or kale doesn't make it healthier or not.
    Each have their own macronutrient profile which will help provide overall nutrition in a balanced diet. The sugar in fruit isn't evil, it is an excellent energy source.

• kaotik26
    kaotik26 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Some people think (typically because of things they read) that sugar is "unhealthy" and since most of your smoothie is fruit, she probably assumes it's not healthy because of the sugar content. Which, in my opinion, if you aren't diabetic or pre-diabetic, sugar shouldn't be an issue. Adding spinach would definitely add nutrients, which would make it healthier, but I think you have to decide what your "definition" of healthy is.

I agree, looks pretty yummy to me though!
  • sstolii123
    sstolii123 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Your diary is not open so I am not sure how this fits in with what you are trying to accomplish. Your smoothie has 382 calories, 30 grams of carbs, 8 grams of fiber, and 16 grams of protein. I myself prefer more vegetables and less fruit but I would not call this unhealthy.
  • mhills91
    mhills91 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input everyone!
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Awe...

I think it's wonderful that you guys both share a passion for health.

I was/am in a long distance relationship and have been since 7/2013.
    <3
    We talk about food and carbs and sugar and work outs all the time. It's all good, we're both on the same page and all about supporting each other!

I'm so excited because he recently put his deposit in to move to my apartments 7/2015.

We are both very excited and there will be tons of workouts and healthy eating involved.

It's a wonderful common interest to pull each other together and promote good habits.

I don't know how many times I've been in the mood for junk food but knowing he was coming down for dinner I went to the store and made us something healthy.

In fact, that's probably the reason I didn't gain too much weight in the time I spent "off the bandwagon."

I look at it this way, am I a better person for it?

He almost had to twist my arm to get me into the dentist, so I guess I could pout around and say I shouldn't be with someone who is trying to control my lack of dental treatments, or I can see the forest for the trees and understand that I'm going to be much happier in the long run because I got the stupid dental treatments I didn't want to go get taken care of.

And I'm a better person for it.

Just like I'm/we're a better person for making slight dietary alterations when our partners inspire us.

Good luck on your romance!

<3
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Just drink the damn smoothie :)
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    There is nothing in your smoothie than would be unhealthy from a general standpoint.
  • ashleycde
    ashleycde Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Dump her, then drink your smoothie.

No, but seriously, what specifically did she think was unhealthy there? Unless she grows her own organic fruits and makes her own non-dairy milk from organic nuts or soy beans she farms herself, and is really judgemental of people who go to the grocery store, I'm not seeing the problem.
  • mhills91
    mhills91 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    sjaplo wrote: »
    Just drink the damn smoothie :)

More like down it ;)