How can i have put on weight...

Options
Ok so I was c onsi6 stently losing weight since having my daughter 6 weeks ago, then 2 weeks ago I decided to start to try and lose weight and exercise more i.e. stopped eating chocolate,crisps etc and started watching what i was eating and trying to exercise more.

Since then I have not lost any weight the first week and this week I have gone up 2lbs. I am breastfeeding my baby and when I add this in to MFP it does say I am not eating enough calories but I am not accurate with things so way say I have been underestimating some things.

Does anyone have any advice..Right now I am considering just to continue eating healthy and stop weighing myself because it is so depressing... used to be really fit and nice size before my two babies in 18months

Replies

• earthtorachel
    Options
    Muscle is four times heavier than fat and your muscles may be holding water for recovery from the new exercise they're getting. I've sworn off the scale for the same reason and have been relying on measurements and how my clothes fit. The scale can be very deceptive! Despite the weight loss benefits, exercise is doing a wonderful thing for your heart and blood vessels which will only lend to you being on this earth with your children longer. :)
  • Febgirl
    Febgirl Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Personally I would just eat healthy, get as much rest as you can and don't step on the scales again until your baby is 12 weeks old. The first 3 months are hard with lack of sleep, hormones all over the place, and you don't want to affect your milk supply by worrying about eating too many calories. Take it easy on yourself, now isn't the time to be stressing about the baby weight, give yourself a chance to recuperate.
  • Hollie_downunder
    Options
    I hate the scales too! they're mean and try to put me off! ;)
    So, like with the previous comment i also prefer to use measurements and how i feel, how my clothes are getting baggy etc :) and also from peoples compliments!

There are too many factors to give you an answer... gaining muscle, water weight, general weight fluctuations, and breast feeding uses ALOT of calories so you are also most likely not eating enough
  • jellicat
    jellicat Posts: 6
    Options
    I am exactly the same! I'm trying to loose weight after having my second child 4 months ago and was doing ok until I started calorie a couple of weeks ago. I felt like i was doing really well but when I weighed myself I hadn't changed! I'm also breastfeeding so thought that would help me loose even more on top of the restricted calories. I don't have much time to excercise cos of the kids. I need help before I give up!!! Why aren't I loosing?????
  • emsibun
    emsibun Posts: 208
    Options
    Possibly a little part of that weight is the breastfeeding. Are you weighing at the same time of day each time? is it before or after feeding your baby?
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    everyone fluctuates 2-3 lbs here and there..day to day even.

for me during that TOM i even go up 5lbs...its mostly bloat.

dont worry about 2 lbs
  • summerkissed
    summerkissed Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Well if you are breastfeeding thats 800cal extra per day on top of the base 1200cals...then you start to exercise so add another say 200cals so if you are eating under 2000cals min per day then your body will be holding on to all the fat it can for dear life to fuel your lactation!!
    I breast feed for 2 years and ate everything in site, I was also weight lifting and doing cardio 3+ days a week! I still lost all my baby weight within the first year!
    I think personally that you will need to make sure you eat 2000cal min a day to feed the most important little mouth (your baby) atm.....keep up the exercise and lift weights but give the cal counting a bit of a miss till your bub and your body has found its rhythm then say at least 12 weeks down the track start to play with your cal intake!
  • pbear1
    pbear1 Posts: 42
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I think you are right I am just going to eat healthy and exercise more and not look at the scales for a while. I do feel like I am changing shape for the better so I will just keep at it and cut out all the extra crap and hope to see a difference. Appreciate all the advice