Breakfast???

Options
I rarely eat breakfast. If I do (did) it was something unhealthy from a drive through. I know that it is better for you to eat breakfast in the mornings, so I would like to try to start eating breakfast every morning. I however am not willing to get up earlier to do so. I am looking for good, nutritious, healthy, relatively low calorie, breakfast, protein, or meal replacement bars. I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on what type of bars I could eat, or even something that I can grab and eat for breakfast in the mornings. I would like suggestions of ones that are good but I would also like to know if anyone has tried any and really hated them. Thanks guys!!!!!! :)

Replies

• Linvala
    Linvala Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Quest bars!!! They're so good but they're a bit pricy. You could make your own oatmeal bars or protein muffins. I usually like to eat make my own protein balls which is basically just oats, nuts, choice of but butter and dried fruit
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    It's not "better for you" to eat breakfast in the mornings. Meal time doesn't really matter at all - it's personal preference.

On the topic of bars, my recommendation would be Quest or Pure Protein bars.

But again, if you're not hungry, don't sweat it.
  • DanielleFloyd08
    DanielleFloyd08 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have looked at quest bars and wondered if they taste good.
  • nickatine
    nickatine Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    They taste great my fave is the cookies and cream throw it on parchment paper on a plate microwave 10 then flip reapeat eat it gooey and warm soo good.
  • CapnVillainBLK
    CapnVillainBLK Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Why not just skip breakfast. I notice that I am more hungry and snack more on the days I eat breakfast. But if I do eat something, it usually fruit.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Well the national weight loss registry listed eating breakfast as a habit of successful dieters. So there is something to that.

The fastest breakfast I have is refrigerator oatmeal. There are a million recipes on Pinterest.
  • jgnatca
    Options
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Breakfast muffins. Make ahead and freeze. Nuke one in the morning.
    http://www.willcookforfriends.com/2014/04/crustless-mini-quiche-single-serving-breakfast-muffins.html
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I quite like Nakd bars (they're mainly just fruit and nuts) - about 100 calories each, I think. Toast and peanut butter is also possible to eat "on the go"!
  • racheljonel
    racheljonel Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    A lot of times I just eat leftovers for breakfast. I portion a small amount out in a tupperware container when I'm putting dinner up, and just grab it in the morning.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I like a small bowl of cereal, or a slice of toast, and a bit of fruit, and a serving of protien. (Usually a half cup of cottage cheese, or an egg, or a veggie sausage pattie)
  • kalamitykate83
    kalamitykate83 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Don't skip breakfast ... it gets your metabolism going for the day! Try something like a smoothie, or porridge with fruit ... the porridge pots you just add hot water too are pretty good and easy! If you can't stomach stuff like that, then bars such as Nakd are good.
  • kali_athena
    kali_athena Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Bars don't feel like breakfast to me or fill me up.

When I'm crunched for time there are frozen steel cut oatmeal bowls, Jimmy Dean D-light bowls, and Amy's breakfast burritos that all get the job done in a couple of minutes for the same or fewer calories that a bar has.
  • cds_momto3
    cds_momto3 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I made this: http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/slow-cooker-bacon-egg-hash-brown-casserole/ only I cooked it in a 9x13 casserole dish at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. I cut it into 16 portions instead of 8, so it's around 150 calories per portion. It is really filling!
  • illyich
    illyich Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Don't skip breakfast ... it gets your metabolism going for the day! Try something like a smoothie, or porridge with fruit ... the porridge pots you just add hot water too are pretty good and easy! If you can't stomach stuff like that, then bars such as Nakd are good.

nope

http://www.cosmopolitan.com/health-fitness/advice/a30366/6-myths-about-breakfast/

I'm shocked that Cosmo actually printed something correct about diet / weight-loss / food in general.

Not much time for breakfast? Take 1 large banana, cut it up into a bowl. Mix in 2 tbsp of crunchy peanut butter and a dash of cinnamon. Stir and smash until it's a gross blob. Super good and SUPER filling. Under 300 cals and 6g of fiber to start your morning off right.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I agree with those saying that you don't NEED to eat breakfast. It doesn't jump start your metabolism and your body will do absolutely fine without it (given no medical conditions, obviously). If you want to eat in the mornings, that's okay. But don't feel like you have to.

I tend to have a protein bar for my afternoon snack and the Quest bars are too expensive for me (I'm trying to live on a budget here!). Personally, I'll grab a store brand protein bar or even *gasp* a Nature Valley protein bar, depending on what coupons I have this week.

Grab & go breakfasts for me usually include Greek yogurt and either fruit or nuts (or both). Hard boiled eggs are easy to make ahead and keep in your fridge. I used to make up batches of overnight oatmeal for breakfast. You could also pre-make things like breakfast burritos to keep in the fridge/freezer and heat up the next day.

And honestly, an egg mcmuffin fits into my daily calories pretty well. There's nothing inherently wrong with hitting the drive-thru as long as you're able to make sensible choices.
  • BoutThatBass
    Options
    I usually go with greek yogurt and plain oatmeal - I have access to a microwave at work, so the oatmeal is easy to make, and the yogurt is just grab-and-go. If you don't have access to a microwave, you could throw a handful of granola or cereal into your yogurt and that would be good too.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    I don't like to eat a gigantic meal in the morning often. Ususally my go-to is packing hard boiled eggs, a cheese stick, and a baggie of Cheerios to take in to work with me.
  • betrishy
    betrishy Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I love Zone Perfect bars, double dark chocolate is my favorite one. But I eat a bowl of regular oatmeal in the morning with some skim milk and a Atkins Chocolate Protein shake for breakfast!
  • illyich
    illyich Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    if OP doesn't want to eat breakfast, why should she? It's not "required".

See:
    I am looking for good, nutritious, healthy, relatively low calorie, breakfast, protein, or meal replacement bars. I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on what type of bars I could eat, or even something that I can grab and eat for breakfast in the mornings. I would like suggestions of ones that are good but I would also like to know if anyone has tried any and really hated them. Thanks guys!!!!!! :)