Balance Diet

Options
I'm trying to determine what is a balance diet. I try to eat healthy a mix of 2 cups of vegetables, 1 cup of fruit and about 100 grams of protein a day. I try to limit my amount of grains. I looked up what the government says is a balance diet and thought it had too many grains and not enough protein (around 36 a day). Friend is doing a raw vegan diet and eats mostly fruits - watched them eat about 5 cups of fruit at one meal. I think they need to add more protein. What do you think? What do you think a balance diet looks like.

Replies

• angiewf
    angiewf Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    One of the best ways to check portion sizes is by visual cues. A portion of meat should be the size of a pack of playing cards, and a portion of cheese like a matchbox.A cereal bowl of salad or 2-3 tbsp veg is a serving. Recommendations in Britain are that you eat 5-7 servings fruit and veg a day, wholegrain bread, pasta,and rice, 2 servings fish a week of which one should be oily, eg salmon, trout or mackerel, and keep oils healthy,try to stick to polyunsaturated or monounsaturated. Sugar, saturated fat and alcohol should be kept to a minimum.
  • julieagburton
    julieagburton Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    i was told if you wanted to loose weight to use the diabetes food guide- it has less carbs and more protein
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I use the government's recommendations as guidelines too, but just like you, OP, I'm a bit skeptical. I need more taste! I eat more protein, less grains and starch, and more fat, than official guidelines - aiming for 70 grams of fat, 70 grams of protein, the rest carbs, up to 1600 calories.

Julie - macro split has no impact on weight loss besides its impact on satiety and compliance.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Gov. guidelines are generic and aimed at the mass population. You may need more or less protein than others, while others may need more or less carbs than you. It really depends on your goals, activity level and personal preferences.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    i was told if you wanted to loose weight to use the diabetes food guide- it has less carbs and more protein

The guidelines from the ADA are good for those without diabetes too, and differ little from most healthy eating guidelines.