_John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    shellma00 wrote: »
    No, she is no different than the person in the window at a regular drive up

well, that's presumptive...
  • blueeyesgrace
    blueeyesgrace Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    The very few times I've been to Sonic, yes I've tipped. I feel they are the same as if you do Curbside Take-Away (Outback)...
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I do now... because contrary to popular belief, Sonic Carhops do not get paid the full minimum wage... they are often paid somewhere in between the tipped server minimum wage and minimum wage. I learned this when a girl I know from the time she was an infant worked at one and was saying something about it... IIRC, she was getting paid very similarly to what I was when I was working fast food 10-12 years ago and minimum wage was $5.65.
  • jnichel
    jnichel Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    Just the tip.
  • _JustDG_
    _JustDG_ Posts: 1,584
    Options
    I do, yes.
  • Yes I do.
  • FabulousFantasticFifty
    FabulousFantasticFifty Posts: 195,833 Member
    Options
    Yes!
  • bambi2578
    bambi2578 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I usually give a tip per trip. (I always order dinner, and then later my hot fudge shake :D )
  • AmberStarr_87
    AmberStarr_87 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I don't have a sonic, but I imagine I would tip if I did. I was a bartender so I am a generous tipper, I tip everybody.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    k8blujay2 wrote: »
    I do now... because contrary to popular belief, Sonic Carhops do not get paid the full minimum wage... they are often paid somewhere in between the tipped server minimum wage and minimum wage. I learned this when a girl I know from the time she was an infant worked at one and was saying something about it... IIRC, she was getting paid very similarly to what I was when I was working fast food 10-12 years ago and minimum wage was $5.65.

What?! I didn't know this. When I was in high school, my friends that worked there said they were paid minimum wage. That plus the tips they got made them a lot of money in an hour's time. After I learned that, I stopped tipping them.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    i have a tip for YOU, OP...

STOP EATING THAT JUNK!
  • _JustDG_
    _JustDG_ Posts: 1,584
    Options
    skullshank wrote: »

STOP EATING THAT JUNK!

Oh hush.

• AmberStarr_87
    AmberStarr_87 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options

What?! I didn't know this. When I was in high school, my friends that worked there said they were paid minimum wage. That plus the tips they got made them a lot of money in an hour's time. After I learned that, I stopped tipping them.

Depends on the state. Everyone here is CA makes at least minimum wage. My cousin worked at a Denny's in NJ and made something like $1.16 an hour, moved here and made $9.00 an hour + her tips.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options

STOP EATING THAT JUNK!

dude, you can get a cherry, vanilla coke zero there...
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options

It seems to depend on the individual location. The carhops in my town get minimum wage. I still tip for good service though. They're high school kids, and I want to teach them that many people appreciate a job well done.
  • jnichel
    jnichel Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options

It seems to depend on the individual location. The carhops in my town get minimum wage. I still tip for good service though. They're high school kids, and I want to teach them that many people appreciate a job well done.

Oh, look at you...all goody-goody and stuff. :D

• skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    _John_ wrote: »

STOP EATING THAT JUNK!

coke zero is not paleo or clean.
    all those chemicals are going to kill you!

look what it does to people!
    tumblr_lo9dj3u7Ad1qcxztuo1_250.gif
  • blueeyesgrace
    blueeyesgrace Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    _John_ wrote: »

STOP EATING THAT JUNK!

coke zero is not paleo or clean.
    all those chemicals are going to kill you!

look what it does to people!
    tumblr_lo9dj3u7Ad1qcxztuo1_250.gif

Is everyone on here on a Paleo diet? Am I on the wrong website for support and encouragement to lose weight and become fit for the way that works for ME?
  • Lizabelle1212
    Lizabelle1212 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Sonic car hops in my state make minimum wage. The extent of my "tipping" is just telling them to give me the cash back if I'm owed change, and they can keep the coin change. In my mind, what they're doing isn't much different than what the person at the drive-through window is doing, so I don't really feel a need to tip.