are jumping jacks ok?

Options
I fail to exercise dismally but rasantly I have done jumping jacks and found them enjoyable to me is it OK if I do only them for my daily exercise maybe until I get tired of them is it helping doing the same exercise daily?

Replies

• AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Far be it for me to say that any movement is bad movement, but what are your goals? I’m not a big fan of just doing one fitness modality or working just one plane of movement.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    They can be a great cardio source, so why not?

Consider changing it up and find other things you like too, maybe jumping squats, mountain climbers, etc!
    Moving is moving!
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Jumping jacks are fine providing you don't have any injury or other condition preventing them. You will increase your heart rate and will burn calories.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    How long do you do jumping jacks for? I've always viewed them as something one would warm up with or something...I can't imagine doing 30 - 60 minutes of jumping jacks.
  • hdrenollet
    hdrenollet Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    jkwolly wrote: »
    They can be a great cardio source, so why not?

Consider changing it up and find other things you like too, maybe jumping squats, mountain climbers, etc!
    Moving is moving!

Agreed! And changing it up will help keep you from burning out. Jumping Rope would be another good one to try as well.

I'm not sure what your workout looks like, but if you're doing 30 minutes then maybe something like this:
    5 minute warm-up and stretch
    5 minutes of jumping jacks
    5 minutes of jumping squats
    5 minutes of mountain climbers
    5 minutes of jumping rope
    5 minute cool-down/stretch.

OR, if you want to mix it up even more, you could make it a circuit.

5 minute warm-up and stretch
    Then this cycle 5x
    • 1 minute of jumping jacks
    • 1 minute of jumping squats
    • 1 minute of mountain climbers
    • 1 minute of jumping rope
    Then finish off with a 5 minute cool-down/stretch

Just find what works for you. If you want to do 20 minutes of straight jumping jacks, then that's ok too. I highly recommend doing a warm-up and cool-down no matter what kind of exercise you are doing. This will help you prevent injury.
  • sbahlezinwe67
    sbahlezinwe67 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    How long do you do jumping jacks for? I've always viewed them as something one would warm up with or something...I can't imagine doing 30 - 60 minutes of jumping jacks.

30 minutes and more
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I would suggest checking out Pintrest for some HIIT or Tabata style workouts. I use them all of the time when traveling. They offer a mixture of workouts.

I agree...to me doing jumping jacks for 30 minutes or more would be like getting a cavity filled without Novocaine. HA
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

30 minutes and more
    If you have a smartphone, get the SworkIt app! All HIIT style workouts with no machines needed!