when u have lil kids its hard ...

Options
sometimes my kids are eating things that l'm not supposed to eat but I just want lil piece lol . I think its just a lil hard when u have lil kids and they eat what ever they want :s

Replies

• caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of things that may be more difficult--working two jobs for example is hard (I teach AND tutor) for others being in school and balancing other responsibilities is hard. We get that. But we don't make excuses. We use it as a challenge to meet our goals. I'm assuming these are your children and you control the food so it would be simple to not have these things around since its better for you AND them, but I digress.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Why are you not supposed to eat them? If you can fit a little piece of whatever into your calorie goals, then feel free. But it's also a good idea to teach children the importance of a nutritious balanced diet. You don't have to let them eat whatever they want. Teach them to eat mainly whole, nutrient dense food, with occasional treats in limited quantities.
  • Ellaskat
    Ellaskat Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of things that may be more difficult--working two jobs for example is hard (I teach AND tutor) for others being in school and balancing other responsibilities is hard. We get that. But we don't make excuses. We use it as a challenge to meet our goals. I'm assuming these are your children and you control the food so it would be simple to not have these things around since its better for you AND them, but I digress.

^^^THIS. I work 12 hour days, have an hour commute each way, I have chronic Lyme disease, I have 2 torn hip joints, I live in the country and have no gym equipment.

And you know what? I still managed to do what I needed to do, and lost 7 pounds in January.

You can do it. Focus on your goals, not on your challenges.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    You're right

It's hard

So what?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Why couldn't you eat the same things that your children do?
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

Fab av!
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Life is hard.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    You're right

It's hard

So what?

I've decided this may come across hard nosed but the thing is there's always a reason it's hard ...always a stressor or temptation ...it's called life

Make it work ...eat the candy if you want just log it
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

Yes, why? I have 3 kids, 9,6, and just about 3. We all eat the same foods, just in different amounts.
  • texaswindsong
    texaswindsong Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I take all of those bread crusts and leftover chicken nuggets, fries..etc that I would have eaten and put them on a plate. At the end of the day it's nice to see all of the nibble food that I didn't eat! Those nibbles really add up. I understand exactly what you mean. You just have to be strong & focus on what you really want.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    tleyva79 wrote: »
    sometimes my kids are eating things that l'm not supposed to eat but I just want lil piece lol . I think its just a lil hard when u have lil kids and they eat what ever they want :s

They don't eat whatever they want. They eat what you are buying...
  • kungabungadin
    kungabungadin Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Why are you not supposed to eat them? If you can fit a little piece of whatever into your calorie goals, then feel free. But it's also a good idea to teach children the importance of a nutritious balanced diet. You don't have to let them eat whatever they want. Teach them to eat mainly whole, nutrient dense food, with occasional treats in limited quantities.

Well said and I also agree with caracrawford1. Too often today we just let our kids eat whatever and we don't teach them to do the very thing we are trying to do ourselves.
  • tracie_minus100
    tracie_minus100 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I have a 4 year old and an almost 2 year old. There's nothing I give them that I can't have as well...I just can't have as much sometimes.
    It doesn't have to be hard. :)
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    It's hard not having kids. It's hard to go out to dinner with people that don't count calories. It's hard to not eat goodies at the office. But that doesn't make me avoid them. It's an excuse. We all have them but some of us have learned to push past them. What is more important? Having a cookie or losing weight? And anyway, have the cookie, log it and don't eat something later. You run out of calories? Go to bed.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    If it's so unhealthy that you can't eat it, why would you be buying it for your kids?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Just have a little of it within your calories.

I buy my kids lots of things I can't eat a large amount of, and usually I don't even have any, but if I want some.. I make it fit in my calories. They don't like the stuff I eat (they'll eat veggies, but not mountains of them like I do, and don't like Greek yogurt, and eat tiny breakfasts, so eating what I eat doesn't always work out. Also they really don't need as much protein as I do, so having a few goldfish or a couple cookies every day isn't going to kill them).

I am NEVER tempted by their leftovers, because I get sick enough as it is without sharing their germs on purpose (and I don't trust their hygiene still, and don't know where they put their hands, so no thanks).
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options

Best post ever... I hope that when I have kids and they are little they are the ones buying the groceries for the house . . .
  • mom2ava07
    mom2ava07 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I have a 7 year old amd 3 year old. I stopped buying a bunch of junk, and have my kids eating better too. However, they do get some treats that I avoid simply because I don't have the wiggle room in my 1200 calorie per day diet. For me, the real struggle was (and is) just mindlessly eating some of their food. I used to eat my kids leftovers (plus my own food), sneak a chicken nugget or couple fries before giving them their plate, and other instances like that. It has gotten easier though as more time goes on. It's just about breaking a bad habit.
  • Ellaskat
    Ellaskat Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Laurend224 wrote: »

They don't eat whatever they want. They eat what you are buying...

my next question is - why would you buy food for your kids to eat, that you can't eat? Why would you want to allow your kids to eat less healthfully than you? You have the opportunity to make their own health and diets easier when they're grown, by teaching them healthy habits, that will just seem natural later... just a thought. PS - that doesn't mean never allowing them treats, but it does mean putting those treats in the proper proportion of their diet.

• andylllI
    andylllI Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I have two kids under 4. We all eat for our goals. Young kids need more fat to support brain development. My oldest (3.5 yrs) is underweight for height so he definitely eats differently. That said, we all eat the same things, just in different proportions with the exception of full fat dairy (and for the 3.5 yr old, overfat dairy).

Maybe we are being a bit unfair to the OP. She didn't say her kids eat ice cream and cookies or junk food all day long. Just that they don't have to watch what they eat. Little kids are very good (well better than adults anyway) at balancing their diets naturally and stopping when they are full. Plus they are growing. Maybe the OP has an overly restrictive diet or is low carbing and just wants a bowl of cheerios or a bite of whole milk yogurt. Or an egg yolk.