when will i see a difference?

Options
At the beginning of my weight loss I was 11 stone 6 pounds, and im aiming to lose 20 pounds, iv now lost 6 pounds since I started 3 weeks ago, I would of thought because I haven't got a massive amount to lose, that I would have noticed a slight difference, but I haven't and its getting me down in a way, feel like im doing it for nothing, just wondering when I will notice a difference? im not rushing but was hoping for some sort of result as my diet and exercise has really changed. thanks

Replies

• bettybing1
    bettybing1 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    At 6lbs in there will be a difference. Depending on your height (i'm 5'4") I started in exactly the same place as you and am now 5lbs down. In fact, my first week i didn't lose any weight but felt a huge change to my body. How do your clothes feel? If you've been exercising do you feel firmer? Is it possible you're looking for a huge change and ignoring the small victories?
    Whatever happens, keep going. Don't let this make you give up.
  • bunnywestley81
    bunnywestley81 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I started start of jan and have lost 18lb and i can't see it!! (Start weight 12st 12)

I did run down the stairs last thursday and my jeans fell down but thats the only thing I've noticed!

Generally you won't as u see u every day. Concentrate on getting fitter, not thinner, might be better way to measure your progress?

B)
  • gemmadoel
    gemmadoel Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    im 5.6, but that means im 1 stone off my goal of 10 stone, but feels like I need more off, I feel like my trousers are abit baggier, 18 pounds and no difference? I bet that's annoying! its proper gut ripping isn't it, because I run every day I feel like my leg muscles and firmer but I still look like *kitten* haa
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    It really just depends on how you carry your weight. I had less than 20lbs to lose, I think I started noticing around 7-8 lbs.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I think noticing a loss has more to do with percentage of body weight lost than the actual pounds.

At 5% or so, you should be seeing changes in your clothing fit, at least!
  • thecraftinista
    thecraftinista Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I started start of jan and have lost 18lb and i can't see it!! (Start weight 12st 12)

I did run down the stairs last thursday and my jeans fell down but thats the only thing I've noticed!

Generally you won't as u see u every day. Concentrate on getting fitter, not thinner, might be better way to measure your progress?

B)

I hear ya. I'm down 22lbs since the beginning of the year and I see no changes.
  • gemmadoel
    Options
    ohh I see, well iv apparently lost a 3rd of what I want off but im beginning to think I need more off, I want to be 10 stone and im 5ft 6, so thought that was a good weight because I don't want to be bony lol, hopefully ill notice soon then, maybe im expecting to much, but its only because iv been working so hard
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    You can see your progress much better if you take pictures. When you change a little bit every day, it's hard to notice change. In my case, I had lost about 25 pounds (from 215 to 190) before other people started to notice. But I could see the difference in my progress photos before that.
  • gemmadoel
    Options
    Thats true, i took some after i lost 4lbs, so ill take some more soon i think
  • crazykatlady_
    crazykatlady_ Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    You should track your measurements. I bet you'll see them go down! And it is more motivating to me when I see how many inches I've lost as well as pounds. :-)
  • jjblogs
    jjblogs Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I usually start feeling the loss at 10lbs. My clothes feel a bit loose.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    Just my experience with myself and others around me, I don't notice a difference until someone (including me) has lost at least 10% of their starting weight.

However, even after losing more than that, I couldn't see it in myself in the mirror. Even after losing clothing sizes, I couldn't see it. I just didn't think that I looked any different. I only started seeing it after comparing pictures.

So take pictures!
  • FitFroglet
    FitFroglet Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    In the mirror I really don't see much of a difference.
    I see it when I compare photos side by side but in the mirror I'm me-shaped. My perception of the people around me has changed though. Everyone around me seems fatter (even though they've not gained).

6lb in 3 weeks is amazing weight loss - especially when you've such a small amount to lose. I'd recommend photo comparisons or the tape measure/fit of your clothes to get true perspective - the mirror lies to me :)
  • autopilot_off
    autopilot_off Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    You should track your measurements. I bet you'll see them go down! And it is more motivating to me when I see how many inches I've lost as well as pounds. :-)

This along with weekly, bi-weekly, or monthly progress photos.

For me it's REALLY hard to see any changes when I look in the mirror, so I take progress photos and compare them. Even then the differences are minor but once you get 2-3 months down the road and you go back and look at those first pictures you'll be amazed at the changes.
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Take pictures. I still have a hard time seeing my weight loss. Others started to notice it before I did.
  • gemmadoel
    Options
    Ok thank you, didnt think of that but seems like a good thing so i will do them every couple weeks or so, thanks :)