Strength Training

Options
Can anyone tell me why when you enter any type of strength training you don't get any calories added back? Do you only get calories back when you do cardio? I would think you would be burning a few calories if you are lifting weights.

Replies

• thegilly6
    thegilly6 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    If you look up under cardio there are weight training selections that you can choose. Those will give you calories back.
  • blakeym
    blakeym Posts: 97 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Go to exercise (up top) and type in Strength Training. best to have a HRM with a chest stap to be most accurate.
  • scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    When you click add exercise go to the cardio section and search for strength training. Don't take the figure it gives you for calories as gospel though. It's no exact science. If you really want to know how much you're burning, you'll probably need one of those watch type thingys which you wear on your wrist. I don't even know the name, google/eBay calorie counter/tracker.
  • ayalowich
    ayalowich Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I just enter it as a cardio activity under strength training and use the # from my HRM. I realize that the #'s are not that accurate and that you actually burn more calories after the fact but at least we get something in the totals.
  • BamaBreezeNSaltAire
    Options
    Weight training/strength training should be logged under cardio if you want the calories back.
  • datboyrobd
    Options
    If your trying to lose weight you wouldn't want to eat the calories back, you want to eat at a deficit. The strength training is there to maintain your muscle mass. If you want to gain weight you would eat a surplus every day.
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    datboyrobd wrote: »
    If your trying to lose weight you wouldn't want to eat the calories back, you want to eat at a deficit. The strength training is there to maintain your muscle mass. If you want to gain weight you would eat a surplus every day.

no.

MFP calculates your deficit into your daily calories. the more you burn, the more you eat. MFP is a bit off, usually, so everyone has to fine-tune it to their personal needs, but if you're working out, you need to fuel that fire.