Medifast

Options
has anyone here ever used medifast? I started with just MFP and lost 8 lbs by logging and gyming.but I started medifast 5 days ago and haven't lost a thing...when I eat only their food and a salad for dinner I barely push 800 cals...everyone is telling me that is fine but I'm not sure...any advise?

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    If MFP was working, why did you change?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Yes, but I don't think you'll be ready for it.
  • wd9898
    wd9898 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    A friend talked me into it...
  • wd9898
    Options
    Yes, but I don't think you'll be ready for it.
    Why not??
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    wd9898 wrote: »
    has anyone here ever used medifast? I started with just MFP and lost 8 lbs by logging and gyming.but I started medifast 5 days ago and haven't lost a thing...when I eat only their food and a salad for dinner I barely push 800 cals...everyone is telling me that is fine but I'm not sure...any advise?

Who exactly is telling you that 800 calories is fine?! :s
  • wd9898
    Options
    Medifast ppl...then I see here it isn't... Eeekkkkkk
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    You don't need to waste your money on it.

You were doing fine without it, right?
  • myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    My mom is on medifast. She doesn't exactly follow it to a T, but she does log everything on MFP and she's understanding little by little about things.

But I blame her f-ktard parents for instilling ED type food thoughts on to her as a kid.
  • queenliz99
    Options
    Medifast does not teach you how to eat for the rest of your life. You can't stay on this stuff forever but you can eat what you eat everyday forever.
  • many_splendored
    many_splendored Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Ugh, see, this is why I cannot stand Medifast. Reconstituted soy is not sufficient for your bodily needs, and I honestly don't believe the vitamin counts are as high as they say they are. Please, for the love of yourself and your wallet, just use MFP.
  • wd9898
    Options
    Yeah I seemed to have been...just getting others opinions before I quite!! Think I've made my mind up..I'm ready to start going back to the gym and burning 600 cals on the treadmill...can't go while I'm doing this
  • many_splendored
    many_splendored Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Yeah I seemed to have been...just getting others opinions before I quite!! Think I've made my mind up..I'm ready to start going back to the gym and burning 600 cals on the treadmill...can't go while I'm doing this

Yeah, exactly, Medifast is not good exercise fuel in the slightest.
  • queenliz99
    Options

You've got it!! eat to live!!
  • wd9898
    Options
    Thanks yall...I'm tired of being hungry! I hate I wasted $ on it! Guess I can still eat the rest of the food for 'snacks' til they are gone
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options

So I am sure a lot of people are going to tell you to pass on the medifast here. I am too but will share my story as to why.

About 2 years ago, I decided to try medifast since they had a gf option and I had 100 lbs to lose. I was thrilled by the quick results at first. I lost 30 lbs in about 2 months, who wouldn't be happy? But I soon got bored of the meals. They were getting so bland and I dreaded each time I ate one. So I thought, hey! This got me started and I can go from here on my own. Well the plan never taught me anything about portions. I quickly regained the weight back, got disheartened and continued to gain weight. I not only gained that 30 lbs back, but another 40 on top of it.

Last year I said I had enough, and since I had started a new job I decided that it was time to get healthy. This time I chose to educate myself and use mfp. Since I began I have lost 60 lbs (20 before mfp) and still going. This is much more sustainable.

I urge you to reconsider. Take the time and invest in yourself by doing research about nutrition needs. The fast weightloss on medifast might seem great, but it doesn't teach you anything about healthy eating. Everyone I know who has tried it has gained weight back plus more weight on top of that.

Sorry for long story, but wanted to give a background as to why I say skip medifast.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Thanks yall...I'm tired of being hungry! I hate I wasted $ on it! Guess I can still eat the rest of the food for 'snacks' til they are gone

Excellent!
  • wd9898
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

So I am sure a lot of people are going to tell you to pass on the medifast here. I am too but will share my story as to why.

About 2 years ago, I decided to try medifast since they had a gf option and I had 100 lbs to lose. I was thrilled by the quick results at first. I lost 30 lbs in about 2 months, who wouldn't be happy? But I soon got bored of the meals. They were getting so bland and I dreaded each time I ate one. So I thought, hey! This got me started and I can go from here on my own. Well the plan never taught me anything about portions. I quickly regained the weight back, got disheartened and continued to gain weight. I not only gained that 30 lbs back, but another 40 on top of it.

Last year I said I had enough, and since I had started a new job I decided that it was time to get healthy. This time I chose to educate myself and use mfp. Since I began I have lost 60 lbs (20 before mfp) and still going. This is much more sustainable.

I urge you to reconsider. Take the time and invest in yourself by doing research about nutrition needs. The fast weightloss on medifast might seem great, but it doesn't teach you anything about healthy eating. Everyone I know who has tried it has gained weight back plus more weight on top of that.

Sorry for long story, but wanted to give a background as to why I say skip medifast.

Thank u so much!!! Since I actually started it and saw how little I was eating I was worried about gaining back bc I can not afford 330$ a month...but it's really not great anyway...I miss eating real food already...and now that I have 'starved'myself for the last 5 days I hope I do t gain back the 8 lbs I lost before medifast...
  • queenliz99
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

Thank u so much!!! Since I actually started it and saw how little I was eating I was worried about gaining back bc I can not afford 330$ a month...but it's really not great anyway...I miss eating real food already...and now that I have 'starved'myself for the last 5 days I hope I do t gain back the 8 lbs I lost before medifast...

Don't be disheartened if you do just get back to logging. Best wishes, we know you will do well :)
  • wd9898
    Options
    Thank u so much!!! It's so much easier eating the 1500 cals MFP calls for if I don't exercise then the 800-1000 that medi wants me to eat and not cheat...
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options

I still have a few packets left over that are still good. I occasionally use them if I am in a rush and need something quick.