bread and starch.. rice and potato HELP PLEASE

Options
if i do not eat any bread . starch.. rice and potatos.. will I be able to feel full and loose weight?

THANK YOU

Replies

• azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    It depends on the other things that you eat.

If you get enough protein and vegetables, it is entirely possibly to be satisfied without eating the items that you list.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Why would you do this?
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Losing weight comes down to creating a calorie deficit. If cutting out those foods puts you in a deficit, then go ahead. Personally I still eat all of those, just less.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Maybe...a lot will depend on what you replace those with in your diet.

Or you could enjoy those things (assuming you like them) in smaller portions.

Total calories in vs. total calories out is what matters for weight loss.
  • ElsaVonMarmalade
    ElsaVonMarmalade Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Yes. You can also eat bread, rice and potatoes, and feel full and lose weight.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I love starch. Any diet without starch is a sad diet for me.
  • savvyfantastic
    savvyfantastic Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    This is a pretty broad question.

Sure, you may be able to feel full, if you eat enough of other foods to satiate you.
    Sure, you may be able to lose weight, depending on your broader diet, exercise and lifestyle habits, and a full array of other factors.

However, there's not necessarily a benefit to be had by doing so. This will depend entirely on your current diet, lifestyle and needs.

Keep in mind foods like potato have an excellent 'fullness factor' and are very satisfying. If you familiarize yourself with the different macronutrient and nutritional profiles of these foods, and work out how they fit into your diet, you should still be able to enjoy them.

I would start by reading the nutrition 101 series in the MFP blogs. These are a great place for information on where to start with foods.

http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/?s=Nutrition+101

Good luck.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Do you have a medical reason to not eat those things? I still eat plenty of rice, and potatoes of all sorts and have had great success losing the weight.

But if you're just worried about feeling full, plenty of protein, fiber and fat all help keep you feeling full. And plenty of water.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Calories in vs. calories out is what's important.

Unless you have a medical condition, cutting starches/carbs won't cause you to lose weight any quicker than eating all the carbies.

Enjoy what you eat and make it fit into your goals!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    AND chocolate! (okay but it needed to be said).
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    The only thing that will help you lose weight is to eat at a calorie deficit. If you eat nutrient-dense foods (veggies, meats, whole foods, fruits, nuts) you will feel more full than if you eat only empty calorie foods (junk food)
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    graymmc wrote: »
    if i do not eat any bread . starch.. rice and potatos.. will I be able to feel full and loose weight?

THANK YOU

What? Not trying to be rude, but are you asking if you get rid of those you will magically lose weight?
  • jkwolly
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    AND chocolate! (okay but it needed to be said).
    And PB, and wine, and cheese..........
  • tanyabecka
    tanyabecka Posts: 39 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

THANK YOU

I don't eat bread, whether it be whole wheat, a bagel, you name it... I eat a starches 1x per week. add me/check out my diary. I've lost 30lbs since Dec 4.
  • jkwolly
    Options
    tanyabecka wrote: »

THANK YOU

I don't eat bread, whether it be whole wheat, a bagel, you name it... I eat a starches 1x per week. add me/check out my diary. I've lost 30lbs since Dec 4.
    From a calorie deficit, not from cutting out starches ;)
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    Starches and sugars have a very temporary full effect. Protein and fat keep you full longer. If the issue is actual hunger then focusing your calories on fiber, protein, and good fats will keep you full. The issue many people have is not feeling full though, it is wanting to eat. We often confuse cravings for hunger. Cravings are your body's way of dealing with a non caloric need. Sometimes that means a physical need like craving chips after a workout because your body really needs salt or sometimes it is an emotional need like craving icecream because the sugar will trigger a pleasure response in your brain to relieve stress. You have to find ways around these if your weight loss is going to be successful.