Low calorie high protein food options?

Options
I'm looking for lower calorie, high protein foods/smoothies that I can add into my diet that won't set me over my calorie count! I want to hold onto the muscle I am building! :)
Thanks!

Replies

• nickatine
    nickatine Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Tuna,skinless chicken, whey powder, fat free plain greek yogurt, egg whites.
  • joneallen
    joneallen Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Egg whites are my go-to easy protein/no carb meal.
  • Just115Pounds
    Just115Pounds Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Here's the catch: I'm lactose intolerant so no dairy for me! :/
  • mldrown
    mldrown Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I really like this as breakfast or even lunch: low carb wrap, two egg whites, two tablespoons salsa, 1/2 C black beans. Under 300 cals. throw in a piece of fruit for a well rounded meal.
  • joneallen
    joneallen Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Most meats and protein powders fit too.
  • Just115Pounds
    Options
    Alright, thanks! I usually eat meat every other night (mostly chicken and pork) so I guess I am pretty well off. Maybe I will try some protein powder, who knows?
    Thanks for all the suggestions! If you have something to add, please do!
  • bluepotatoes66
    bluepotatoes66 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    With the lactose intolerant thing, my vote is egg whites. If you can find one that tastes good to you, a vegan protein powder (not just vegetarian as they can put whey in it) might work as well.
  • fitbethlin
    fitbethlin Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Alright, thanks! I usually eat meat every other night (mostly chicken and pork) so I guess I am pretty well off.

Why not just eat meat every night?
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,661 Member
    Options
    A lot of the really tasty high protein low cal options do come with a hefty pricetag. Shrimp (prawn), lobster, scallops, oysters, crab come to mind.

Cheap alternatives include seafood sticks (surimi), frozen thai fish cakes (the kind you microwave, not fry), egg whites.
  • kissa714
    kissa714 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    quest protein bars-190 cals
  • lolly715
    lolly715 Posts: 106
    Options
    Here's the catch: I'm lactose intolerant so no dairy for me! :/

I'm lactose intolerant and can tolerate whey isolate powders just fine. But it will depend how severe your reactions are, mine are thankfully minor now. I've actually been reintroducing small amounts of dairy (scoop of yoghurt, small milk chocolate bar, etc) over the past year and so far, so good.

But when I was being super strict about dairy a few years ago, I used brown rice protein. A 30g scoop was about 100 cals for 24g protein.
  • Just115Pounds
    Options
    I can't eat meat every single night as it does take some time to prepare and I don't have a lot with school and such :/
  • wannabthin1831
    wannabthin1831 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Legumes
  • cotewalter
    cotewalter Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Egg whites, any fish, lean red meat,
  • Mech9
    Mech9 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Why not just eat meat every night?

I try to eat meat every night. But food prices are skyrocketing where I live. :'(
  • Metazoick
    Metazoick Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    If I remember correctly the highest protein per calorie you can get is with turkey - followed closely after by basically all other meats, cheese, tofu, soy beans (and other beans to a lesser extent), eggs and nuts/seeds.

If you cant have lactose whey powder probably isnt a good bet - somebody I know with a similar issue uses egg white protein powder, it has less protein per serving than whey but still does the job.

As for cooking/timing issues, chicken and the like can be cooked much quicker if sliced or diced beforehand, especially in a frying pan (no oil if calories are a concern) it can be more a matter of minutes. You can also cook the meat beforehand when you have time and have cold cuts, or use a meat substitute (like quorn) as they tend to be high in protein too but cook quickly with no worries of food poisoning if you're in a rush
  • kmash32
    kmash32 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    A good protein source is hard boiled eggs and you can cook enough for several days at once.
    I can't eat meat every single night as it does take some time to prepare and I don't have a lot with school and such :/

Okay this I don't get. I eat meat twice a day, and a lot of the time don't have to cook it. I use pre-cooked shrimp, pre-cooked chicken strips from wal-mart, canned tuna. You can also do things like cook enough chicken or fish or Turkey for a few days at once. I work full-time and study and don't have a problem.
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I eat canned sardines, with oil. Cheap, high protein, omega oil, very healthy.
  • meyerssheila
    meyerssheila Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am also lactose intolerant. I drink Almond Milk with Warrior Blend Vanilla Protein Powder. It is Vegan but still has the amino acids that dairy protein powders have (ie whey etc). Otherwise Eggs are my go to protein choice.
  • meyerssheila
    meyerssheila Posts: 9 Member
    Options