Dieting habits: to keep or to break?

Options
2»

Replies

• katherine_startrek_fan
    Options
    I do number 1 - weigh daily.

I do buy down jean sizes during a sale, but I only buy two pairs per size and am stopping at size 10. After that, I will have to be the size to buy it.
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    1-yes, every morning
    2-when I started last year I hoped to be at my goal by this July. It's going to take me at least until next spring now, and I'm fine with that
    3-if I eat it, I log it
    4-no
    5-since I'm smaller now than I've ever been in my adult life, old photos just motivate me to work harder
    6-only if it's too good a deal to pass up

Me too, except that for #2 I wasn't quite sure how long it would take.

55835802.png

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I use to weigh daily and am very strict with counting (everything counts). Otherwise, I'm in for the long haul so this is all part of life. I look to where I want to be, not where I was and I refuse to put a timeline on it.
  • crosbylee
    crosbylee Posts: 3,454 Member
    Options
    I am using daily weight to track the trend of my weight. It doesn't bother me to see small fluctuations as we all have them each day. Over time I hope to see a downward trend. This is why I will not set a deadline for when it has to be gone. My body needs time to adjust to what I am doing and hopefully not rebel on on me! Yes, logging everything you possibly can is necessary, because what you don't track can add up very quickly and you will eat more than you intend to eat. Looking at old pics of when I was thin, then more recent ones, just makes me angry with myself for letting it go this long. Kinda like a cattle prod to get me off my butt. I have enough smaller clothes, I don't need to buy any more!!
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    bethnewey wrote:
    I have so many dieting habits, and although it feels like they're helping me in the beginning... Maybe they're actually contributing to the "screw it" phase that I get to after a month.
    One problem is that you're thinking of this as a "diet" instead of a life change.
    A diet is something you do temporarily. Once you go off your diet, back to your original way of living, the improvement you saw will disappear. Your old habits made you unhealthy to begin with. Why go back to them?
    Change your life for good (permanent as well as benefit). Don't do anything short-term that you wouldn't be able & willing to do the rest of your life (other than perhaps eating at a calorie deficit... once you get to goal you will be able to eat a bit more).
    Weighing yourself regularly
    Every morning, and I write it on my calendar. If I've lost, I log it here. (And use the picture to update my ticker.)
    Counting down to a specific date to be "skinny" for.
    Heavens no. First, I don't want to be skinny, I want to be healthy, and there's no end date on that. Second, as others have said it's a setup for disappointment.
    Counting strictly. Eg- having 4 almonds, should that be included in your diary?
    Do they have calories? Of course. According to the database here, 4 almonds have 31 calories. Yes, they should be logged, especially if you're running at a close calorie deficit or just getting into the habit of logging food.
    Setting small goals but with time limits
    Small goals, yes. Time limits, no.
    That being said, sometime in November I looked at my average weight loss & figured I could make onederland by 31DEC. Even my doctor thought that was a reasonable goal. Should have worked, too, only weight loss isn't linear & I had a monthlong plateau. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Turned out I wasn't too far behind (about a week), and while I was disappointed I didn't let it stop me.
    Looking at old photos for motivation
    Absolutely! That's why I took the "before" pictures (which were really about 20 lb down, once I figured out that this "eat less, move more" thing was really working, and maybe I should have something to look back on).
    And no, seeing my old self has never caused me to overeat. The image has occasionally been a reason I've stopped at just a few cookies, though.
    Purposely buying clothes in smaller sizes to fit into
    Sometimes.
    If it's a slightly smaller size, at a good price, and I'm getting close to being able to wear it, sure.

Sometime last summer I found a pair of cable-knit leggings (think a sweater, but for legs) which were really a size or 2 too small, but I had faith that by the time I needed to wear them they'd fit... and they did. But that was from a thrift store and I think they maybe cost $3.
    I've been shopping at thrift stores a lot during this weight loss [event, ordeal, journey, thing] because I don't want to spend lots on clothes which will be too big in a couple months.

51637601.png
  • bethnewey
    bethnewey Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Some good ideas Going on here, and I still am getting the same answers I was hoping for but I do want to clear a couple of things up.
    When I said "skinny" I didn't mean skinny. What I should of said was "putting a time limit on your long term goal" whatever that may be, to lose 30 kilos, to gain 10 kilos of muscle, to be healthier.. What ever.

The other thing I should change is that when I say that I buy clothes smaller, I mean more like.. If you fall In love with a pair of shorts that might not fit you in a few months time, so you get a smaller size..

And lastly, when I diet I do eat healthy (usually low carb) so mainly vegetables, meat and some fruit. That's something a normal person could do for the rest of their life (with a little more carbs obviously) but I can't, my usual day consists of junk food, junk food and more junk food.
    But I've been slim before and it's so much easier to maintain eating healthy, when I'm overweight i just have no desire to be healthy, at all... Unless I'm dieting.
  • bethnewey
    bethnewey Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Whoops! I forgot to say thank you!
    Thanks so much for the replies!! It's so good to see what and how others do it.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    I'm 4 months into maintenance and still weigh myself daily. I got over the emotional connection with the scale a long time ago though - and used the daily weighins to learn my own trends. So there is no reason to be concerned when I go up at TOM, for example. Its normal, and temporary.

I never had a finish date in mind. That can be a bad thing, I think, because weight loss is not a perfect science.

When I was losing I made efforts to be as accurate as possible. Even for logging 4 almonds. That will depend on the individual, and whether it creates any negative issues.

Nothing to offer on 4-5. But for 6, I'd only 'allow' myself to buy smaller clothes for a great deal. And if there was reasonable chance of wearing them. As in I could squeeze into the jeans, even though they might look bad for not being a good fit.

We each have to find our own way. This is not a one size fits all journey.

quote="bethnewey;10073171"]I have so many dieting habits, and although it feels like they're helping me in the beginning... Maybe they're actually contributing to the "screw it" phase that I get to after a month. Is it too much to keep up with in the long run ... Or does it help? ... I really don't know, what do you think? Do you do any of these?

1. Weighing yourself regularly
    2. Counting down to a specific date to be "skinny" for..
    3. Counting strictly.. Eg- having 4 almonds, should that be included in your diary?
    4. Setting small goals but with time limits
    5. Looking at old photos for motivation- sometimes leads to depressive over eating :\ (how ironic)
    6. Purposely buying clothes in smaller sizes to fit into [/quote]

• BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    I dont see what i am doing as a diet, this is a life style change.
    When i wont count anymore
    Going back to what i did before than i will gain weight again

So this is for me no diet, but how i start living my life.
    Which mean i count and i weigh every day.

lol and nope i dont by clothes a size smaller to work too.
    Goals are nice to reach but i will always have my goals in life. I was a heavy sporter so used to setting different goals all the time.