Getting enough daily calories

Options
My daily recommended calorie intake is 1200 for sedentary (I pretty much sit in front of a computer all day). But I have trouble making up the calories, to a point where I am eating even though I'm not hungry. I weight and measure everything that I'm eating so that I can get my diary as accurate as possible (although I know it will probably never be 100% accurate!)

I also do a little bit of running usually 3 times a week, and I'm now going to be taking up Spinning at the gym along with some other classes. On days when I exercise I also find it hard to make up my calorie goal, however I am a bit more hungry so I do find I need my snacks rather than just eating them because they are there.

Can anyone give me any advice please? I've got my diary open (but it may just be to friends) if anyone wants to look.

Thanks!

Replies

• kunalsingh9
    kunalsingh9 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    This depends on the macro nutrient breakdown of your calories. There is a possibility that most of your calories are coming from carbs which is probabaly making you feel full all the time. Just reduce your carb intake slightly (rice,bread,pasta) and substitute it with other protein/fat sources and see if you feel more hungry. This is a bit of a trial and error method but it will help.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    How did you come to need to lose 59 pounds?
  • Jodibbs
    Jodibbs Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm 200lbs at the moment and 5ft 4"
  • Liftng4Lis
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Jodibbs wrote: »

My question was honest. How did you come to weigh 200 pounds if you were having a hard time eating enough?
    You say you're hungry, but you're not eating? I don't understand the point of the post.
  • Jodibbs
    Options
    Because I used to be really active then got a desk job, kept my eating habits but didn't exercise. I've gained about 50lbs over the space of 4 years
  • lolly715
    lolly715 Posts: 106
    Options
    Choose higher calorie food, particularly healthy fats which ramp up calories quickly. A quick look at your diary shows you way under your fat allowance which isn't even set that high by default. Lots of healthy food which is great, but they're all pretty low in calories so you're going to have to eat a lot volume wise even at 1200 calories.

This site shows the difference in calorie density of common foods, it's interesting... http://www.healthassist.net/food/300kcal/300.shtml
  • Jodibbs
    Options
    lolly715 wrote: »
    Choose higher calorie food, particularly healthy fats which ramp up calories quickly. A quick look at your diary shows you way under your fat allowance which isn't even set that high by default. Lots of healthy food which is great, but they're all pretty low in calories so you're going to have to eat a lot volume wise even at 1200 calories.

This site shows the difference in calorie density of common foods, it's interesting... http://www.healthassist.net/food/300kcal/300.shtml

I'll take a look. Thank you for your help :smile:

• Jodibbs
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

My question was honest. How did you come to weigh 200 pounds if you were having a hard time eating enough?
    You say you're hungry, but you're not eating? I don't understand the point of the post.

Also I didn't always eat healthy. I've changed my eating habits now to eating a lot of fruit and veg and staying away from processed food.. so even if I eat a lot of veg and it fills me up, the calorie total isn't high.

I said that I'm more hungry on days that I exercise so I find eating my daily snacks easier (which I'm usually not hungry for) however this still doesn't make up the difference in calories burnt to my daily calorie allowance.

If you don't understand the point of the post and don't feel you can help me in any way, then don't bother commenting?

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

Also I didn't always eat healthy. I've changed my eating habits now to eating a lot of fruit and veg and staying away from processed food.. so even if I eat a lot of veg and it fills me up, the calorie total isn't high.

I said that I'm more hungry on days that I exercise so I find eating my daily snacks easier (which I'm usually not hungry for) however this still doesn't make up the difference in calories burnt to my daily calorie allowance.

If you don't understand the point of the post and don't feel you can help me in any way, then don't bother commenting?

Eat what you used to in smaller quantities. Add in fruits and vegetables. No need to cut things completely out.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Options

One can not offer sound advice, until one understands the exact questions being asked, thus the questions to clarify. I see nowhere in your post that says, "Now that I'm eating healthier foods".
    Nut butters, nuts, avocados and other nutrient dense foods will solve this problem.
  • Jodibbs
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »

Eat what you used to in smaller quantities. Add in fruits and vegetables. No need to cut things completely out.

I genuinely enjoy eating fruit and veg now on a daily basis, it makes me feel better and healthier so I don't really feel like I'm restricting myself. Every Sunday I have a dessert with my dinner, which also gives me a little 'break' I suppose from healthy food :smiley:
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Your calorie target is ridiculously low to lose weight at your current height and weight

I think your commitment and dedication to acheiving this is helping you stick to your current low calories and convince yourself you're doing OK .. but that won't last and that's when people complain of lacking motivation

You know the foods you love to eat .. include those in your diet .. work out how you can do so at a decent weight loss calorie .. probably closer to 1500 and above than your current 1200 then plus workout calories

This will help in a number of ways ..
    it won't feel like a deprivation diet
    it won't depend on willpower
    it will give you long-term hope that this is a lifestyle change
    your ongoing maintenance will be easier

also do some weight resistance work / or at the minimum bodyweight exercises .. maintain as much muscle as possible

At the end of the day it's the one who can eat the most and still lose weight who wins :smile:
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »

I genuinely enjoy eating fruit and veg now on a daily basis, it makes me feel better and healthier so I don't really feel like I'm restricting myself. Every Sunday I have a dessert with my dinner, which also gives me a little 'break' I suppose from healthy food :smiley:

You asked for help and you are disputing everything being told to you. Lol GL OP.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    If you want to stick to healthy .. add cheese, oil, avocado, nut butters, oily fish and ice cream/chocolate/wine .. the final ones are good for the soul
  • Jodibbs
    Options

One can not offer sound advice, until one understands the exact questions being asked, thus the questions to clarify. I see nowhere in your post that says, "Now that I'm eating healthier foods".
    Nut butters, nuts, avocados and other nutrient dense foods will solve this problem.

My food dairy is open so if you wanted to see what I am eating I guessed people would look at that :smile:

Also a main problem is I really don't like nuts/peanut butter and I'm not a fan of avocado. I'm trying to incorporate it in my diet but not loving it to be honest.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    what do you like?

eat that!
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    Just eat normally and don't overcut your calories.

You're setting yourself up for failure and binging.
    Why?
    Restricting food groups AND turning off your hunger hormones by eating too little. They'll come back with a vengeance, believe me, and the slower you lose the weight the less likely the rebound at the end is.
    Or, you can do what I do when that happens and turn it into a bulk!
  • SwankyTomato
    SwankyTomato Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    When did you start eating healthier?
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I've just looked through your food diary. If you really want to increase your calories a little, maybe try having a bigger breakfast. I know a 150 calorie smoothie wouldn't fill me up.

I generally have eggs for breakfast, sometimes with ham or baked beans and toast, and with coffee, it's over 300 calories.

Your meals look good though. Maybe add a snack, like some ham, or sliced chicken, or cottage cheese?
  • pinkiezoom
    pinkiezoom Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    For some quick cals which is really the question you are asking, then cheese is always a winner lol! lots of cals and not that filling, what about nuts? if you like them they can add 100 cals in a handful, or even graze on them over the day hun. 1200 cals does seem low, we are the same weight and i eat 1600 and losing over 2lbs a week, but i know we are all different. I have not gone on a diet though, i have changed my lifestyle, so i still eat whatever i want just dont go over on the calories per day.
    Just try adding a little of what you fancy at a coffee break, you will soon be able to add a few more cals.