been working so hard but weight is stuck?

Options

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    kibuuka675 wrote: »
    Tbh i today (fasting day) ive had a bannna and 1 ryvita with marmite so far and 3 big glasses of very weak sugar free squash and two cups of coffee

So you aren't fasting.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Let's sum up:

1. It's only been three weeks and you've incorporated a new exercise routine, so water weight.
    2. You aren't weighing in at a consistent time under consistent conditions.
    3. Track your wine intake.
    4. You're eating too little if you're truly eating 800-1000 calories a day.
    5. You're not doing 5:2 properly if you're truly eating 800-1000 calories a day.
    6. You've refused to answer any of the questions about weighing, measuring, logging, or calorie intake that might give us enough information to help you.
    7. You should really talk to someone if you're feeling guilt after eating "larger" meals. That's not normal and could be a sign of more serious patterns.
  • vickiesmirch
    Options
    I feel you...I have quit drinking...went on 1200 cal diet and started exercising the last 6 wks and only lost 5 lbs...wth...I am counting everything...but sometimes I dont eat all my calories...any suggestions?
  • stephxo1
    stephxo1 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    We have nothing to work off here at all. What age are you? Height? Weight? No log of food or alcohol to work from either. If you aren't losing weight then you aren't eating at a deficit. Use this link to work out your personal TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) and input it into MFP. Go under these designated calories to be in deficit and weight loss will happen. But yeah, you need to start logging everything that goes into your mouth, especially alcohol! Good luck! http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    If you don’t feed the machine, it shuts down functions to survive. Why do people think they can shut down their calories and magically the weight falls off? It is a game of diminishing returns. Instead, focus on full health and wellness.
  • Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    stephxo1 wrote: »
    We have nothing to work off here at all. What age are you? Height? Weight? No log of food or alcohol to work from either. If you aren't losing weight then you aren't eating at a deficit. Use this link to work out your personal TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) and input it into MFP. Go under these designated calories to be in deficit and weight loss will happen. But yeah, you need to start logging everything that goes into your mouth, especially alcohol! Good luck! http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

Good advice! Also, in my experience, jogging is not as important as logging. In other words, your calories consumed (what you eat) generally contributes more to weight loss than calories burned (how much you exercise).

Also, I cut out wine 220+ days ago, except on rare occasions, and that has helped IMMENSELY and made weight loss SO much easier.

19507081.png[/quote]
  • ullc316
    ullc316 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    This app is the perfect way to figure out how to eat! Its not diet for me its a lifestyle....ive used this app 4 a yr now and basically after the 1st 30 -60days u should be able to come n2 ur own! I still eat a *kitten* load of food in fact i eat more now lol but its only cuz its healthy foods less cals
  • ullc316
    ullc316 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Oh hey u can stop running cuz losing weight is done in the kitchen i proved that by using this app no cardio whats so ever
  • mandster
    mandster Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I lost 1.5 stone on 5:2 and found it really worked for me but it's only healthy imho if you eat enough on the up days. I tried to keep it low all week to give me a kick start early on and felt ill. Then I did 1200 - 1500 calories on the up days and felt good. However if I remember correctly I actually lost more and more consistently when I increased cals to 1500- 2000 on the non fasting days. I usually ate 500-600 cals on the fast days.

Sometimes I overate on the up days and you won't lose weight doing that - think of it as having a calorie deficit over the course of a week. There are many ways to do this of course but I found the diet easier to stick to long term as I could relax on the non fasting days and have that cheese scone slaked in butter as long as I didnt go too crazy. Also, on the fasting days I ate as much volume of food as possible eg big plate of veg stir fry or grilled veg - lots of low fat things like cauliflower, aubergine, tomatoes, green leaves etc - very little carbs on those days though.

One thing I would say is that if you think you could be prone to eating disorders or feel guilt at eating big meals then this is not the right diet. It's surprisingly easy to eat only 500 calories when you get used to it so if you think you would take this too far or not eat normally on other days then I would suggest in the nicest possible way that you find something else that works for you. Hope that helps and well done on your weight loss and running. x
  • kibuuka675
    kibuuka675 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Sorry if ive not been very informative on my fasting days i dont go over 500 on my normal days its around 800!1000 not more the 1200 i weigh 189 lbs last time i checked , yes im logging everything im 30 yrs old im 5.5 in height. I am naughty i weigh myself aaaallll the time
  • tjcuts339
    tjcuts339 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Remember this is your personal journey. All will be figured out after doing this in time. Stay motivate d. All will prevail. Keep it up!!
  • kibuuka675
    Options
    Thankyou i hope you are right
  • kalamitykate83
    kalamitykate83 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your reply , i think i have been naughty with the wine to be honest :o but i dont normally go over 800-1000 cals on my normal days food wise ? Im hoping im just going through a blip :#

You're probably not eating enough, as those calories are really low for the days when you should be eating normal but healthy! Also, look at what you're eating. Even on the strict days, you should make sure you get the limited number of calories from healthy nutritional sources. Changing your exercise will help too, so do what you've been doing once or twice a week but add in something different and some strength training.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Sorry if ive not been very informative on my fasting days i dont go over 500 on my normal days its around 800!1000 not more the 1200 i weigh 189 lbs last time i checked , yes im logging everything im 30 yrs old im 5.5 in height. I am naughty i weigh myself aaaallll the time

Yeah, you aren't following the 5:2 lifestyle correctly.

On the 5:2 fasting lifestyle, you eat 5 days at your maintenance calories and 2 days at 500 calories. (For example, if I were to do it, I would eat 2200 calories on 5 days and 500 calories on the other 2 days.)

If you are going to keep your calories low, stop doing the 5:2 lifestyle and just eat the same amount of calories everyday. You should eat at least 1200 calories a day (you could probably eat more since you aren't super short or older in age). It's hard to get all of your vitamins, minerals, and macronutrients in when you eat under 1200 calories.
  • kibuuka675
    Options
    Ok thanks i will try that ive had 500 so far so will eat more later
  • hot_toddy86
    Options
    I feel you...I have quit drinking...went on 1200 cal diet and started exercising the last 6 wks and only lost 5 lbs...wth...I am counting everything...but sometimes I dont eat all my calories...any suggestions?

Working out 6x a week and eating only 1200 calories isn't enough for your body. Its gonna go into starvation mode and hold onto fat.
  • kibuuka675
    Options
    I just seem to keep going up a pound then downa pound grrrrr
  • tjcuts339
    tjcuts339 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I have been in this also lately. Working out harder Trying to eat less. Best of luck. Will keep pushing! !!!
  • kibuuka675
    Options
    Thank you , u too !!!
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    If you don’t feed the machine, it shuts down functions to survive. Why do people think they can shut down their calories and magically the weight falls off? It is a game of diminishing returns. Instead, focus on full health and wellness.

That is kinda a silly analogy. When you have an overweight person you are talking about a car with a full tank and another 30-50 gallons of gas sitting in the backseat. You are basically saying if you don't stop for gas every 15 min your car will stop. That is not how it happens. If you have a full tank you do not need to stop for gas for a while. Now if you are talking about a race car (athlete) and you want to drive it fast as you can, you have to stop for gas more often because they use more gas have smaller tanks and no fuel sitting in the back seat. People don't function exactly like cars but studies have been conducted on seriously overweight people that suggest that with medical supervision (and vitamins) they can stop eating for months at a time and their bodies will burn from the stored fat. I think the record is a little over a year. This person had a metabolic rate reduction of like 50 cal a day below the normal after that fast. That is an extreme example and still all we see is 50 cal of damage to the metabolism. That is hardly the wrecked metabolism MFP people love to scare the new people with. We tell people to eat at a higher range not because there is a single valid study that suggests that low range hurts them (with a proper vitamin supplement) but because most people starve and binge when they diet too strictly.