Help from experienced people? Skinny fat syndrome.

Options
Hey, everyone! I am happy tp say I achieved my weight loss goals, for now. I am 5'9" and wear a size 4-6, and the scale says I'm at the low end of a healthy weight but...

the mirror says FALB!

How do i go about turning my body into something more fit and "toned"?
I can't seem to get a straight answer on this anywhere I search! Some people say "oh cut fat first THEN work out and eat an excess so you can gain muscle." because you cannot gain muscle mass and LOSE weight at the same time on a calorie deficit. I imagine that makes scientific sense.

But I just don't understand what to do. Obviously, there's still a little excess flab there i.e. I'll get a little muffin top effect if I wear jeans that are too tight, so wouldn't building up muscle mass underneath the fat make me appear larger in the end?

erghh I'm just so confused and don't know what to do to get the look I want :/ any help?

I found an image that shows what I'm talking about: http://41.media.tumblr.com/4189399831bf28817b322f025fc0ba2c/tumblr_niqeg2Lpqu1tuyxqvo1_500.jpg
right now, my body is a "SKINNIER" but no LEANER version of the before picture.

Replies

• katesnewbody
    katesnewbody Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    haha wow, FLAB not FALB.
  • kallieeeeee123
    Options
    lift heavy weights and eat 1 lb of protein per lb of body weight you have, complex carbs, healthy fats and you will definitely see a change in your body composition. Don't restrict calories too much or you won't be able to get proper nutrition
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    I like FALB better. It sounded like HALP

Since you're at the right weight, maintenance calories, with adequate protein.

Heavy strength training.. preferably a pro-designed program.

Any other questions?

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »

Any other questions?

Yup.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    It's okay, even healthy, to have a little fat.

Lift weights and don't wear jeans that are too tight. (Given how you've described your body, I think you and, like, Beyonce are walking proof that too-tight jeans flatter no one!) Problem solved. :)
  • AnexRavensong
    AnexRavensong Posts: 262 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Just keep in mind doing all that is likely to increase the number on the scale. This is why scales suck. Muscle is more dense, so it is heavier in a smaller volume.. but fat is more voluminous, and this is why we'd rather have muscle. So as long as the measurements are good and you like the way you look, ignore the number on the scale. A group I can't recommend enough is EatMore2WeighLess. Here's their site: http://eatmore2weighless.com/

Behold those who have GAINED weight but look like a million bucks.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I'm with the previous poster that a little bit of fat is a good thing, but if you don't want that, I guess what you are asking is: do I bulk, maintain, or lose? If you are already at the low end of the spectrum of healthy weight, it's best to either maintain or bulk. Maintaining, or "recomp" is a very hard process that takes very long to pull off successfully, so keep that in mind if you choose to go that route. Now yes, you do need to eat extra to build muscles better, and yes, you will look a little bit chubbier for a while, then at a set point (experts chime in what that would be) you will start losing again, then gaining then losing and so on.. all while eating enough protein and doing resistance training. Cycling gain and loss will help you build the muscles you want while gradually shaving off a little bit more fat every time to the point where you will be at a healthy weight but with less body fat.
  • katesnewbody
    Options
    I'm with the previous poster that a little bit of fat is a good thing, but if you don't want that, I guess what you are asking is: do I bulk, maintain, or lose? If you are already at the low end of the spectrum of healthy weight, it's best to either maintain or bulk. Maintaining, or "recomp" is a very hard process that takes very long to pull off successfully, so keep that in mind if you choose to go that route. Now yes, you do need to eat extra to build muscles better, and yes, you will look a little bit chubbier for a while, then at a set point (experts chime in what that would be) you will start losing again, then gaining then losing and so on.. all while eating enough protein and doing resistance training. Cycling gain and loss will help you build the muscles you want while gradually shaving off a little bit more fat every time to the point where you will be at a healthy weight but with less body fat.

Hello there! :smile:
    yeah, that's the part I'm so lost on; I don't want to bulk up in any sense of the word, ahh!
    How does one go about getting lean without building up mass? I see these 15 week plans and stuff where they supposedly eat maintenance and work out, and end up leaner and tighter than before.

I don't want to lose any fat, TMI but I'd like my bust to stay the same, haha XD
    I just want to be tighter and firmer. how do I do that without bulking up? I'm very sensitive about looking bigger, I used to have disordered eating tendencies and am embarking on a body peace journey this year. :D
  • katesnewbody
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »

Any other questions?
    haha, I agree now that I'm looking at it XD
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    You're a woman, you CAN'T BULK UP, unless you're on steroids.

Lift weights and you'll get that "toned" look you want.
  • Always_Smiling_D
    Always_Smiling_D Posts: 118 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    www.bodybuilding.com - Jamie Eason workouts -- and no us woman do not bulk we develop we accentuate our beautiful natural curves ;)
  • katesnewbody
    Options
    emdeesea wrote: »
    You're a woman, you CAN'T BULK UP, unless you're on steroids.

Lift weights and you'll get that "toned" look you want.

Oh I know, I've read many articles to that effect :)
    I mean what a previous poster said, to eat more and build muscle underneath the fat, appearing bigger for a while
  • alysme
    alysme Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Go to a body pump class.
    Have a look at the regulars. They look toned and lean, they lift as much as they can manage (sensibly without loosing form).
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    I am still trying to figure out where the fat is.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    If it bothers you, just lose some weight while maintaining the muscle you've already got. That's what I'm doing. I'm eating at a deficit and losing fat and lifting weights at the same time. I'm not building muscle but I'm keeping what I've already got and leaning out.
  • pearlmullet
    pearlmullet Posts: 81 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I weigh the same, if not a little less than I used to before I lifted, but I wear a smaller size. So there's that. Muscle takes up less space than fat, so even if you "put on" muscle, you won't gain size. Ok, you might get a more luscious booty. :smile:
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    Try this Group for support / halp with falb ( couldn't resist, good to see a sense of humour )
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/10118-eat-train-progress

Take the time to read the posts in
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/833026/important-posts-to-read/p1
  • katesnewbody
    Options
    alysme wrote: »
    Go to a body pump class.
    Have a look at the regulars. They look toned and lean, they lift as much as they can manage (sensibly without loosing form).

that's exactly the look I want~
    I didn't mean lifting would make me bulky, I meant what another user said about getting the muscle mass: eating more and thus looking bulkier for a while until cutting the fat over the new muscle :)
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    1st congrats on your weight loss. Now that you want to build muscle here is what you do. Lift heavy things and put them down. Seriously...you don't have to worry about getting bulky...you don't have the body (non male) to do it. Testosterone is what is needed (among other things) to build big and bulky muscle. I've been trying to get bulky since I lost all my weight. You see...muscle is hard for your body to maintain and it's doesn't want to build it. You would have to push really hard every workout and supplement with steriods and other unnatural chemicals to get like those bulky women. So find a routine that pushes you hard and fail on every set, eat clean and hydrate and your new muscle will burn off the bodyfat that you have left. Eat about .5 to .75 grams of protein per lb of body weight to help with the building process of muscle. Try macros of 40/30/30 (Protein, carbs and healthy fats) and monitor your body fat% not scale weight. Play around with the macros to find what your body reponds best to. Hope this helps.
  • rshear1026
    Options
    Weight training is key to lean and tone!! I train with weights at least 3 times a week, light weights high repetitions and have lean muscle definition!!! I do the les mills pump workout and its like doing cardio weight training and has given me great success in shape and tone!!!