Bagels in the office

Options
If you put my on an Island and asked what I would take with me .. it would be bagels.. My well intentioned co-worker brings bagels every day!!!

Ive asked him not to. I have no self control when it comes to them...

Cookies, cakes etc not for me, I dont care for them or touch them.

Needing some support to stay away! Ive tore off a piece of one already :O(

Replies

• GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    price0909 wrote: »
    If you put my on an Island and asked what I would take with me .. it would be bagels.. My well intentioned co-worker brings bagels every day!!!

Why should your co-worker have to stop bringing bagels because you are trying to lose weight?

If you want one fit it into your day, if you don't want one don't eat it, stop blaming other people
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Saying you have no self control about something gives yourself permission to do that thing.

Interesting trick you might try. Narrate your day to yourself as you're going through it. But whenever you perform an action, say, "I am choosing to <foo>."

Ferinstance, "I am choosing to sit at my desk and work. I am now choosing to get up to get a cup of tea. I am choosing to walk by the bagels. I am choosing to raise my hand to get a bagel. I am choosing not to touch the bagel. I am choosing to drive down the road. I am choosing to flip off the person that cut me off."

You simply would not believe the change in mindset. (And oddly, a rather peculiar feeling of power...)
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Or, you can fit a bagel into your calories for the day. No need to suffer - just try and make it work.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    That reminds me... I gotta go shopping for some bagels... and cream cheese. I keep forgetting to buy some. :ohwell:
  • price0909
    price0909 Posts: 50 Member
    Options

Why should your co-worker have to stop bringing bagels because you are trying to lose weight?

If you want one fit it into your day, if you don't want one don't eat it, stop blaming other people

He purposely comes to me and says I bought you a bagel! I tell him not to buy extra but he keeps doing it. He complains about his weight so I have a right to tell him not to buy them for me.
  • price0909
    price0909 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Or, you can fit a bagel into your calories for the day. No need to suffer - just try and make it work.

The bagels in NY are 10x the amount of a bagel on MFP.. I weighed the piece I took and it was 1.75oz.

Not making excuses just looking for support from my biggest downfall.

This is what I have come to.... "I dont need it, and it wont help me get to where I want to be"
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options

He purposely comes to me and says I bought you a bagel! I tell him not to buy extra but he keeps doing it. He complains about his weight so I have a right to tell him not to buy them for me.

You respond with, "No thank you" and move on.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options

He can buy them all he wants you have the choice to say either Thank you or No thank you. That choice is all yours.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options

The bagels in NY are 10x the amount of a bagel on MFP.. I weighed the piece I took and it was 1.75oz.

Not making excuses just looking for support from my biggest downfall.

This is what I have come to.... "I dont need it, and it wont help me get to where I want to be"

I hear ya...I live in Northern NJ so it's pretty much the same. All I'm saying is that it you ever really want one, maybe you can try to fit it in on occasion :)

But I think's it's kinda weird and imposing that your co-worker keeps buying you food that you keep refusing. Tell him if he wants to spend his money on you, flowers will work nicely :)
  • SXMEnrico
    SXMEnrico Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    every Wednesday is Donut/Bagel/Muffin day at my office. A table full of probably 3-4 dozen. Every Wednesday I walk over and grab a handful of the packets of peanut butter. Would I like to go to town on everything else? Yup. Do I? Nope.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    The bagel place I eat from sometimes has their nutrition info posted. The bagels range from 3.75 to 4 ounces each, depending on the type. And the calories range from 240 to 290 for each one. So, if you look at an average, 70ish calories per ounce. So, that 1.75 oz piece was only 122 calories, give or take. I can certainly fit that in my day if I wanted to. Multiple times.
  • sherbear702
    sherbear702 Posts: 649 Member
    Options

I was going to say just ignore the begals that he's bringing but if he's purposely buying a begal for you specifically that's different. I assume you've got a good working relationship with him, since he's buying you begals. Just tell him to quit wasting his money on you and explain why. If he continues to buy you begals, start throwing them away (you might step on it for good measure, so you're not tempted to pull it out of the garbage later). He'll get the hint sooner or later.
  • Josyurtos23
    Josyurtos23 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    We have NY bagels in our office every day. I know exactly how you feel. Trust me it's VERY hard. I only eat them once a week bc they are very high in sodium too. on Tuesdays I will have a half of an everything bagel with 2 tbs of cream cheese and I will log it without the guilt. Hope this helps.
  • Josyurtos23
    Josyurtos23 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    For those of you who need to log it's

"Midland Bagels"
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Repurpose them, for example instead of eating your bagel everyday, cut them up, season them and then bake them into croutons. You could even bring this coworker some croutons in return. Another option is to dry them and then make into breadcrumbs. Just a couple of ways I enjoy excess bagels and maybe once a week treat yourself to that bagel with your coworker.
  • PerkisPower
    PerkisPower Posts: 74 Member
    Options

This...

I work in a place where vendors and salesmen will bring in doughnuts, pizza, cake, cookies, white castle, bagels etc. Etc. Etc. Almost every single day. I gained 10 pounds rather quickly. walking back and forth by all those foods made it nearly impossible not to grab one from time to time.

So I decided that no matter what, I would never take a single bite of any of these foods They brought in. It is easier for me to bring my own fruit/almonds/string cheese etc. Than to have to deal with those temptations.

Not fair for you to tell him not to be generous enough to bring in food for others, simply do not eat them.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Grrrr. I relate. I'd say, "Gethtatthingouttamyface". I find out of sight is out of mind. The issue with bagels is their terrific caloric punch. I eat that bagel; must skip lunch. It's stupid. And I don't dare skip a snack. I under-ate yesterday afternoon and by the time I got home I was shaking and weeping. Filling my car for five minutes outdoors at -20C might have had something to do with it.

How about having a stash of New York Style bagel crisps?
    label_87bagelcrplainnutrition.png

See bagel, eat chip.

• joe575757
    Options
    Have you ever thought to yourself, (wo)man, I wish I ate a bagel on October 7th, 2009! It's really too bad I didn't?

My point is that the bagel doesn't matter to you in the long run. The happiness the bagel will bring you will last maybe 30 seconds, less if you eat like me. Turning it down might give you a couple of minutes of being upset about not getting what you want, but at the end of the day you won't even care. You probably wouldn't remember eating it or being upset about not eating it if you didn't log the food. I try to remember this when I'm tempted to break my dietary plan, it seems to help.

Of course, your mileage may very.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    Do like the guy in the cheesecake thread did: take the bagel and toss it in the garbage.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10075418/i-threw-away-cheesecake/p1