Superbowl girl commercial & my daughter

Options
My 10 year old daughter doesn't like football so she wasn't watching the superbowl. At some point during the game, however, she had wandered into the living room and her visit was coincidental with this commerical: http://youtu.be/q3GpXgFwWmk

She watched it, gave it her full attention, and then went back to doing what she was doing. She's in 5th grade and recently the school gave the puberty/reproductive system speech, so she's aware of what's coming for her as well.

Fast Forward to later that evening: I decided I would do my standard workout (hit the treadmill in the basement (winter savior) and then continue on with the strong lifts program). When I came down the stairs in my workout clothes to head to the basement, she stopped me excitedly and said, "Ooooo, are you going to work out?" I said, "Yeah, I'm headed on down." She asked, "Can I please come?" I let her, not sure what she was going to be able to do (I am too nervous to allow the kids on the treadmill yet). I went downstairs and got on the treadmill and minutes later, in her little kid-sized workout clothes, she was there with her hair pulled back. I asked her what she was going to do now, and she didn't know. So I handed her my phone and had opened a workout app that targets different areas of the body and said - "Click on legs, you can start there". So she did, and then she continued to click each body area the app had until I had finished a few miles on the treadmill. At that time I asked for the phone back so I could use my strong lifts app. She handed it over and grabbed the jump rope. After watching her (and between sets (I know you're supposed to rest) danced to "thriller" with her lol) I finally said - hey, you can grab that bar (those little aerobic bars vs. olympic bars) and do what I'm doing. She completed the sets with me with that small bar and towards the end I asked her about that commercial and what she thought of it. She said, "I really liked it. I think girls are strong, not wimpy. I'm glad the little girls at the end said that running like a girl means running as fast as you can."

This is the stuff that keeps my fire burning, my inspiration...my child, my little girl. She will see her mom be strong and fast and that's one of the best gifts I can think to give her.

Replies

• ercaface
    ercaface Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    LOVE this
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    i can't see the commercial- but it's clear you are having a very positive and watch as I do kind of impact on your child.

That's a big fat giant parenting win.
    Good job you. Something to be proud of for real.

• katya_be
    katya_be Posts: 227 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I loved that commercial too! I love how you are setting an example for your daughter :) My mom still tells me that lifting will make me bulky and manly.. I am slowly convincing her the opposite is true and even making her workout with me! It is awesome having that sort of relationship.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Win win win
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    awesome. i am on board with this.
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    :) It was a really great commerical - @JoRocka - if you google "superbowl girl commercial" you should be able to find it pretty easilly :)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I just can't watch it at work-I saw most of them as I watched the game- just only remembert the one with the girl who has the prosthetic legs who does running and stuff? I think it was for Nissan.
  • carla113
    carla113 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Love it! My little girl throws like a girl, hits like a girl and runs like a girl. She hangs right in there with her brother and little boy cousins by doing it that way, too! She knows that doing things "like a girl" means that she's fast, strong, and just plain awesome!
  • lindzgayle
    lindzgayle Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    It was for Always, I think.

This is such a great post! <3
  • TMLPatrick
    TMLPatrick Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    +1 great post... and it sickens me that there are actually people who were offended by this commercial.
  • superfox12082
    superfox12082 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    That was a great commercial. Good for your daughter!!
  • Delilahhhhhh
    Delilahhhhhh Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Brilliant post and a very thoughtful commercial.
  • Delilahhhhhh
    Delilahhhhhh Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    TMLPatrick wrote: »
    +1 great post... and it sickens me that there are actually people who were offended by this commercial.
    Who was offended by it?
  • Deena_Bean
    Options
    I would guess maybe comments on you tube or something? I don't think anyone here is...well, I would hope not!
  • PammieSuzyQ
    PammieSuzyQ Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Good for you! Our children do listen to us, most especially when we are not paying attention to what we say and do. I'm grateful that my daughter was young during the time I felt my best about my body because she has the most wonderful body image for herself. And this wasn't because I was particularly thin at the time. During her most formative years it was slow going on losing baby weight from my last child. Then I had gallbladder issues and gained 25lbs. I still felt beautiful and sexy in my own skin and this is what she remembers.

So keep up the good work, your daughter will become you.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    TMLPatrick wrote: »
    Who was offended by it?

Idiot MRAs who feel like the EEBBBIL feminists are stealing "true masculinity."

Nobody told them they would always have their neckbeards and trilbys.
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Part of the reason I started lifting was because I want my daughter to see women as strong. She is almost 5, and loves showing me her muscles. I remember doing that as a little kid too, and it made me wonder when I stopped. At what age did I stop being proud of how strong I was and started being more concerned with how thin I was? I honestly have no idea.

I love that commercial, I have seen it before.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    I saw this a few months ago in an article on Buzzfeed, it's a good one.
    I am bothered when someone stays to me "you're strong for a girl" because it's typically said in surprise, like I should be a meek little creature.

Upon seeing this post, I get the #runlikeagirl hashtag on Facebook
  • Deena_Bean
    Options
    I would bet some cash that plenty of the girls here who are told "you're strong for a girl" are probably stronger than lots of their male counterparts. Just sayin.
  • snarlingcoyote
    snarlingcoyote Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I have a co-worker whose daughter is a gymnast and in middle school. Co-worker only recently found out that daughter has had to deal with kids putting her down for being a gymnast. Apparently, gymnastics isn't a real sport, because it's all girls, and only snobs are gymnasts. :o

Seriously? Do I need to check my calendar, 'cause I thought it was 2014, not 1972. . .