Gym routine

Options
Okay so i have been going to the gym on and off (been very busy with school) but this term i have a lot more free time so I plan to go a lot more, but i never have had a routine! i just kind of do the same thing every time, i guess I'm asking if anyone has a nice workout plan they would like to share, that a 20 y/o Female wanting to lose weight could use! thanks!

Replies

• Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    There are a couple routines that I see get recommended quite about- Strong lifts and Starting Strength ('ve done both). they are a pretty good place to get started. I went on bodybuilding.com and checked out the exercise data base and kind of created my own routine. I do a leg day/ back/ shoulder and bicep and chest and tricep day. I tend to do abs when I do cardio.
  • musenik26
    Options
    I struggle with the same problem. I also recommend bodybuilding.com. There are workouts on there that can be followed. I am currently doing the Jamie Eason workout. It gives me a day by day workout for twelve weeks.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    I'm browsing the forum for ideas myself, but I'll share what I started with that works for me.

Lots of cardio first thing, 20-60 min.

Then after that rotate and do arms one day and legs the next. Do all the machines you can find for each group.

I use the machines, but you don't have too.

The machines seem less likely to hurt yourself and have a handy sticker that shows you how to use it, so I like that.

At the end, do abs every day, with all the ab machines you can find.

I learned that at the first gym I joined over 10 years ago, and if I actually go to the gym and use it, the results are fantastic.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    PS, I learned that from a personal trainer at an all women's gym. The program is not designed to train you to be a heavy lifter, it's designed to make you look great in the least amount of time.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I'm browsing the forum for ideas myself, but I'll share what I started with that works for me.

Then after that rotate and do arms one day and legs the next. Do all the machines you can find for each group.

The machines seem less likely to hurt yourself and have a handy sticker that shows you how to use it, so I like that.

I learned that at the first gym I joined over 10 years ago, and if I actually go to the gym and use it, the results are fantastic.

This is not something I would ever do personally. I don't even know how that was a popular approach ten years ago. But to each their own. I'm also a fan of bodybuilding.com I also still use magazines for workouts.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    My suggestion would be to establish some actual fitness goals that go beyond just trying to lose weight...your consumption is largely going to address your weight control goals. Having independent fitness goals will help you determine what you should be focusing on in your workouts.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Just lift weights, strong lifts is a good program. You lose weight (fat) through a good eating plan.
  • many_splendored
    many_splendored Posts: 113 Member
    Options

I do something similar - at least 30 minutes of cardio, and for weights the machines are good for exactly the reason of having the form references. However, I'm not as heavy on the abs, at least for myself.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Nope dont just lift weights or just cardio, do both as they do different things.
    I might warm up wth 5 minutes cardio and some stretching, but weights first and cardio after imo.

Strong lifts and then fit some cardio around that. If you wnat to lose weight with cardio and improve your cv then you need to start off steadily but increase either pace or duration so you start pushing yourself and burn a decent amount of calories. You arent racing anyone just going for slow steady improvement, same with the weights. You get to know when you are making an effort.

An alternative would be to do some classes or get a PT to show you the ropes.
  • kevie1021
    kevie1021 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    musenik26 wrote: »
    I struggle with the same problem. I also recommend bodybuilding.com. There are workouts on there that can be followed. I am currently doing the Jamie Eason workout. It gives me a day by day workout for twelve weeks.
    Yeah I'd check this site out. It's great for providing a variety of routines for whatever you are looking to achieve, and how you want to do so. Good stuff