Taking thyroid medication at night

Options
I find it hard to take Levothyroxine in the morning and having to wait 30 minutes before eating a breakfast and avoiding products with calcium. I have been reading that taking thyroid medication at night results in better absorption. Anyone tried this? Any change in thyroid results?

I will be speaking to my doctor soon to get her input on this as well.

Replies

• blueeyesgrace
    blueeyesgrace Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    The only thing with taking it at night is you have to take it three hours after you have last consumed something (anything other than water). I always found that difficult for me. I completely understand the struggle with having to work around calcium supplements and multivitamins (been doing this for 17 years).

I shower first thing in the morning, so I generally take it right before I shower, and then by the time I'm ready I can eat something. My typical morning food is a bagel thin with peanut butter, so I avoid the calcium that way. I've learned to drink my coffee black, so I avoid calcium that way, as well.
  • MaggieLoo79
    MaggieLoo79 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    The short time I was on Synthroid (2 months) I ended up getting doctor's permission to take it at night. I was totally unable to alter my morning routine of coffee immediately, so I had some bad side effects. The second month, my doctor told me I could take it at night and it was easier for me to do. He didn't say anything about 3 hours though, so who knows??? :|
  • MaryCS62
    MaryCS62 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    The most important thing is to take it on an empty stomach. I have been taking it for over 30 years (partial thyroid removal @ 18, for what turned out to be a benign tumor). I take it as soon as I'm out of bed--I leave a glass of water on my bedside table for that reason. Unless you walk immediately to the kitchen to eat, it shouldn't be that hard to leave 45-60 minutes between taking it & that first sip of coffee or bite of food. I also have to leave the house very early, so I drink my coffee (ff 1/2 & 1/2, no milk) in the car, & don't eat til I've been at work for an hour or more. When I'm not working, same thing, especially since I don't like to eat first thing anyway.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I find it hard to take Levothyroxine in the morning and having to wait 30 minutes before eating a breakfast and avoiding products with calcium. I have been reading that taking thyroid medication at night results in better absorption. Anyone tried this? Any change in thyroid results?

I'm on Synthroid. I was told I had to have an empty stomach for it to absorb properly, so taking it at night isn't an option.

Definitely discuss it with your doctor, but also talk to the pharmacist -- they often have more knowledge about specific drugs than the doctors do.

I rarely have an appetite in the morning, anyway. I have to wait four hours before I can eat anything with calcium or iron and three for everything else. I just deal with it.
  • rml_16
    edited February 2015
    Options
    NM
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options

She's the only one who really should have an opinion on this, so I'm glad you're going to talk to her.

• rungirl1973
    rungirl1973 Posts: 2,559 Member
    Options
    Hm. I take Synthroid. I was told to take it in the morning on an empty stomach and not to eat for 30 minutes. I have no idea about the calcium thing. I drink milk in my coffee on my way to work.
  • lgriffithschall
    lgriffithschall Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    As others have stated, ask your doc before changing things up because everyone's different.

I keep my Synthroid on my nightstand with a bottle of water, and take it right before I go to bed. That's usually at least two hours after eating (somtimes less, sometimes more). My thyroid levels have been consistently in the lower ranges of normal - which is where my doc wants them to be (and I've managed to lose almost all of my excess weight -- 60+ pounds).
  • blueeyesgrace
    Options

She's the only one who really should have an opinion on this, so I'm glad you're going to talk to her.

Yes, I'm glad OP is going to speak with the doctor about this. However, those of us (which I presume is the majority of us since this is specifically related to thyroid) can offer suggestions and advice on what has worked for us, and what has not worked.

I have learned that real life experience from those who also suffer with the same disease or condition helps, in conjunction to what the doctor has said. I'm not saying disregard anything from a physician - I would never want my patients to do that. However, networking with others who have experience with something similar is also beneficial.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    I've been told that it is fine to take it at night. It's also fine to take it with food as long as your meal does not contain dairy.

Certainly, confirm with your doctor to find the best plan for you.

I've noticed that it doesn't make any difference for me.
  • blueeyesgrace
    Options
    Hm. I take Synthroid. I was told to take it in the morning on an empty stomach and not to eat for 30 minutes. I have no idea about the calcium thing. I drink milk in my coffee on my way to work.

I think it's more with calcium supplement, but I steer away from anything with calcium first thing in the morning. My physician told me that it needs to be 3-4 hours after taking Synthroid before you have any calcium supplementation. The only reason I know this is from parathyroid complications when I had my total thyroidectomy 5 years ago.
  • rungirl1973
    rungirl1973 Posts: 2,559 Member
    Options

I think it's more with calcium supplement, but I steer away from anything with calcium first thing in the morning. My physician told me that it needs to be 3-4 hours after taking Synthroid before you have any calcium supplementation. The only reason I know this is from parathyroid complications when I had my total thyroidectomy 5 years ago.

Thanks. My prescription needs renewing, so I'll be asking about this when I go back to the dr. I've moved, so I have to start over with a new one. :neutral_face:
  • alltheweigh170
    alltheweigh170 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Thank you, ladies! That is some great feedback. Will talk to the doc & pharmacist soon.
  • rml_16
    Options

Yes, I'm glad OP is going to speak with the doctor about this. However, those of us (which I presume is the majority of us since this is specifically related to thyroid) can offer suggestions and advice on what has worked for us, and what has not worked.

I have learned that real life experience from those who also suffer with the same disease or condition helps, in conjunction to what the doctor has said. I'm not saying disregard anything from a physician - I would never want my patients to do that. However, networking with others who have experience with something similar is also beneficial.

Agreed. Talking to people who have this and have been dealing with it for years has been invaluable to me since even before my diagnosis. In fact, they have been much better information sources than my PCP, who wasted five years before I finally got a diagnosis and I have since figured out he has no clue about Hashimoto's.

Thankfully, I'm now seeing an endocrinologist and looking for a new PCP. While people can't diagnose or treat things, we can offer advice based on experience and point you in a direction you might not have gone otherwise. I believed my doctor when he said my thyroid was fine. It wasn't and I'm dealing with the consequences.

• blueeyesgrace
    Options

Thanks. My prescription needs renewing, so I'll be asking about this when I go back to the dr. I've moved, so I have to start over with a new one. :neutral_face:

I hate having to find a new doctor for thyroid. I find that I feel best at a level of 0.03 - which is super hyper, but I tolerate it the best out of any level I've been at. It's tough finding a doctor who treats based on symptoms AND levels, and one who understands that a patient knows their body the best (especially after 17 years of thyroid disease). Best of luck to you with the new doctor!
  • Danilynn1975
    Danilynn1975 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Waiting on an endocrinologist appointment to figure out if my nodule is cancer. Really scared. Have had enough blood work lately I feel like a vampire buffet.
  • blueeyesgrace
    Options
    Waiting on an endocrinologist appointment to figure out if my nodule is cancer. Really scared. Have had enough blood work lately I feel like a vampire buffet.

Prayers and Hugs sent to you! Yes the blood work is not a fun part of this, but know you aren't alone in any of it. There are so many wonderful people here who are supportive and motivational!
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options

Good luck to you! I went through this a couple of years ago. Turns out that I am just lumpy.
  • kmash32
    kmash32 Posts: 275 Member
    Options

Good luck with this. I had Thyroid cancer 10 years ago now and had a full thyroidectomy. At the time everyone kept saying to me "But it is the most treatable cancer out there". Yes it is but you are still getting told you have Cancer.

I will pray for good news for you.
  • kmash32
    kmash32 Posts: 275 Member
    Options

Yes you can take it at night but it does have to be on an empty stomach.. I just saw my endo last week and she wanted me to switch to taking mine at night because she says that eating within 30 minutes of getting up is better for patients with PCOS. But when I told her I don't usually finish dinner until at least 7:30 or 8 and I try to go to bed at 10 she said that wasn't enough time.

I take mine when I first get up, then go and get ready for work. You can have food or drink with calcium in it after an hour you just can't take a calcium supplement or multivitamin as that it is too much calcium.