Possibly Diabetic or Pre-Diabetic please help!

Options
kekagel
kekagel Posts: 94 Member
edited February 2015 in Food and Nutrition
Never freaking mind.

Replies

• PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    If you think you have diabetes it's something serious enough that you shouldn't self diagnose, and should really try and do what you can to get yourself to the doctor.
  • kekagel
    edited February 2015
    Options
    -
  • PrizePopple
    Options
    Well I think you have a grasp of the things you need to do. When dealing with a potential health issue, one that very much impacts what your dietary needs would be, that's something only a doctor can and should be guiding you on.
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    Here's the deal, the fruit you eat is going to have an affect on your blood sugar just like a candy bar would. If you really are pre-diabetic/diabetic that isn't something you want to just assume that since it has more nutrients its better than candy and is just fine to eat.

This is why it would be very important to talk to a doctor to help you with this. If you really do have diabetes, its not a matter of just eating less to lose weight and eat more veggies and fruits to get more nutrients in your diet...you actually have to avoid/limit certain foods. No person on the internet can really help you with that.
  • kekagel
    Options
    I never made any assumptions. I've stated I need to speak with a doctor. What I wanted was somebody that had some helpful advice on what information I should be looking into. Anybody on the internet that has been through this situation would be able to help me with that. Pointing me in the right direction. I do understand that all foods affect your blood sugar. I never implied that I was only planning on eating less and cramming my face full of fruits. I simply said that I want to start incorporating more fruits and vegetables because at this point I get none. I'm actually a reasonably intelligent person and know that not everything is "fine to eat because it's better than candy".
  • jenna80302
    jenna80302 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    If I was you @kekagel I would buy an inexpensive blood glucose monitor, and track your blood sugar for a few days... then you will have some data to bring to your doctor.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Most doctors know very little about nutrition.
    If you are looking for a food plan, you might want to reduce sugars, fruits, and carbs.
    Eat tons more green leafy veggies because they are low carb/low sugar.
    Meat, fish, dairy, eggs, beans, nuts, fats and oils --- these are good.
    Pinterest is a good place to look for recipes. Try various search terms.

• azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    I'm only guessing at what the OP might have said...

I find that as a person who is pre-diabetic, I do have to be extremely careful about fruit. I try to restrict myself to one serving of fruit a day and to get about ten servings of veggies. Even two or three servings of fruit a day is enough sugar to throw me off track. I try to keep overall carbs to 100 G a day or lower.
  • ahavoc
    ahavoc Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Reduce your carbs, but if you eat them, eat high fiber pasta, high fiber bread. If you incorporate fiber with your carbs your body doesn't produce as much blood sugar. Use stevia as a sweetener, that doesn't raise your blood sugar either. I like the liquid, I use it in my coffee. Fruits aren't going to kill you. Moderation is key. Eat whole fruit instead of juice, again, for the fiber. It's all about balance.
  • MrsMotivatedMama
    MrsMotivatedMama Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Im pre-diabetic. My doctor is no help as they aren't nutritionist but what I do notice for myself is fruit is not my friend. I can have a serving a day. Veggies help so much more. I also try to stay away from diet drinks and only drink water. If I want a treat I will drink crystal light but I try to stay away from substitute sugars. I just learned about being pre-diabetic and its scary because all my grandparents have diabetes. I'm trying to help myself be better :) carbs are def hard to cut down but also a must.
  • sssgilber
    sssgilber Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    No, a doctor isn't a nutritionist, but if you test as pre-diabetic your doctor will refer you to a nutritionist who will discuss your eating patterns, show you how to use a glucose monitor, and suggest simple changes in your diet. You're not alone and you don't need to guess at possible solutions.
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    Well a nutritionist isn't going to be able to DIAGNOSE diabetes so starting with the doctor FIRST is the first step
    I never said you were stuffing your face with fruits but you said eat more fruits. Making sure you know what it the glycemic load of foods is important IF you have diabetes.
  • PrizePopple
    edited February 2015
    Options
    She said she couldn't go to the doctor because of mental health issues, but suspected she has diabetes or pre-diabetes. Apparently she doesn't want to be told to go to the doctor to confirm it, she just wants people to tell her what to eat and pat her on the bum. Except that's obviously not wise when possible diabetes is in play, because not every person is the same. Not to mention diabetes is not something to play some game of "wait it out" with. So my recommendation to see the doctor still stands.

ETA: And no proper nutritionist in their right mind would advise someone on a diet geared towards diabetes without a diagnosis from a doctor. It's something that needs to be monitored by a health care professional.