metabolism and eating frequency

Options
I've been catching up on reading my fitness magazines and they constantly state, as if natural law, to eat frequently in order to rev up your metabolism. But is there actual evidence that this happens? Or in fact is metabolism a fairly steady function, maybe improved by exercise instead?

I'm asking this as a person who is eating less and fewer times per day because it seems to fit my lifestyle best.

Replies

• AntonioP23
    AntonioP23 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    IMO meal timing doesn't matter (apart from if you are an athlete and fueling/refueling pre/post workout)

There are two extremes on this school of thought:-

1. Those who believe you must eat 10 small meals a day to keep your metabolism burning.
    2. Those who follow Intermittent Fasting Pricinples.

I have tried both - and noticed no difference.

If anything, the latter is much more enjoyable.

A few large meals a day is great !
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Yes, exercise helps your metabolism. No, meal timing doesn't matter.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Eat whenever and however often you want. That other stuff is total nonsense.
    I like two meals a day -- no snacks. 'Seems to help. But everyone finds their own rhythm.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I think it's a myth. How does making your body constantly digesting food affect your metabolism?
  • Chrisparadise579
    Chrisparadise579 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Hey kezia! yeah there is actually no scientific research that says eating more frequently helps your metabolism, alot of people like myself do eating 5-6 times a day because of the huge amount of food we eat but it wont effect your weight loss, however intense exercise will increase your metabolism and so will reverse dieting. Hope that helped a bit, if I can help more please let me know, keep kicking butt
  • SoulOfRusalka
    SoulOfRusalka Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    It bothers me how widespread this idea is when it seems like it's false. My health textbook literally states that your metabolism slows down 40% when you don't eat for 12 hours.
    Imagine that.
    Overnight your metabolism can decrease by 40%. Better get up in time to eat your toast or you're screwed. -_-