Need advice! Is my deficit too little, or too much?

Options
Hey everyone, I'm new here :) Just had a question...

MFP says I should be eating 1370 calories per day. In reality, I eat about 800 a day (which actually satisfies me quite well! No hunger pains).

My workout schedule is as follows:

Mon - 25 min: elliptical
Tues - 50 min: elliptical
Wed - 25 min: elliptical
Thurs - 50 min: elliptical
Friday - 50 min: elliptical
Sat - 50 min: elliptical
Sun - rest day

I burn between 300-600 calories a day when I go to the gym for an average of around 2550 - 3000 per week.

Now, given that I eat about 800 calories a day, and burn between 300-600 calories while at the gym, what might my estimated weight loss look like? I'm new to all this and not really sure how it works. I get that to lose you need to create a deficit in order to lose weight, so am I creating enough of one, or too much of one?

I started at the gym last Sunday, and have been eating VERY healthy since then and have lost 9 lbs so far - though I'm assuming that's probably mostly water weight.

Anyways, any advice/tips would be greatly appreciated :)

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Deactivated
  • kandell
    kandell Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I would talk to your doctor about your calorie needs. Everyone here will say you're eating too little, but it really depends on your height, weight, and other health conditions. Definitely ask your doctor.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Posts ridiculous *kitten* then immediately deactivates. Troll-lol-lol-lol-lol
  • klaff411
    klaff411 Posts: 169 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    hahah
  • Freckles_87
    Freckles_87 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, but I never deactivated my account.. and I don't really appreciate the rude comments. I was asking an honest question, because like I said, I'm new to this. I thought this place was about supporting one another... but all I feel is discouraged to even post on this site. So thank you...
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, but I never deactivated my account.. and I don't really appreciate the rude comments. I was asking an honest question, because like I said, I'm new to this. I thought this place was about supporting one another... but all I feel is discouraged to even post on this site. So thank you...

When anyone clicked on you it showed deactivated. You need to eat at least 1200 calories a day to meet your basic nutritional needs, especially with the amount you exercise. Additionally, you should be eating back a portion of your exercise calories.
  • kimberlyhurt
    kimberlyhurt Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Honey I'd say that you're not eating enough. Not that you can't do it, but it's best to do someting that you can sustain in the long term. One of my friends on this site lost 140lbs in like 18 months. Do you know how many calories she ate in a day? 1500! She worked out every day, but still gave her body the nutrition it needed. Slow and steady is the best bet.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

There's been a bug for a while that some new users show as having deleted their account.

Honestly, you do need to eat more to fuel your body. Nuts, nut butters, dairy, avocados...anything calorie dense that can bring you up to your goal.
  • Freckles_87
    Options
    Maybe because I changed my username? I was told it wasn't wise to include both first and last name as a username, so I changed it. I'm sorry if anyone thought my post was "ridiculous *****" but I was asking an honest question. Now I just may consider deactivating if this is the kind of responses I'll get in the future.
  • Freckles_87
    Options
    Thank you kimberlyhurt and malibu927 for your more positive comments... I will take that all into consideration and make the appropriate changes.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Just use common sense Do you really think that 800 calories a day and than minus a workout feed/fuel your body enough nutrition?
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Please keep in mind that hunger is not always the best indicator that you're getting enough to eat. Unfortunately, our hunger signals can be knocked out of whack by too many things, including stress, exercise, prolonged undereating, etc. And hunger won't always tell you if you're missing out on vital nutrients like fat, protein, calcium, etc. Assuming that your logging is accurate and you are actually eating 800 calories (while burning most of them off in the gym) then you do need to eat more.
  • mfp2014mfp
    mfp2014mfp Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Mfp auto tells you that you arent eating enough calories if you log so little, so realistically you already know that. It sounds like your looking for ways around it, well there isnt one. Your body needs calories to function well, one of the major uses of those calories is your brain function. It has been theorised that many of the mental health issues that accompany anorexia are directly linked to the malnutrition of the brain. So youre headed down a long dangerous road.
  • Katerina9408
    Katerina9408 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone, I'm new here :) Just had a question...

MFP says I should be eating 1370 calories per day. In reality, I eat about 800 a day (which actually satisfies me quite well! No hunger pains).

My workout schedule is as follows:

Mon - 25 min: elliptical
    Tues - 50 min: elliptical
    Wed - 25 min: elliptical
    Thurs - 50 min: elliptical
    Friday - 50 min: elliptical
    Sat - 50 min: elliptical
    Sun - rest day

I burn between 300-600 calories a day when I go to the gym for an average of around 2550 - 3000 per week.

Now, given that I eat about 800 calories a day, and burn between 300-600 calories while at the gym, what might my estimated weight loss look like? I'm new to all this and not really sure how it works. I get that to lose you need to create a deficit in order to lose weight, so am I creating enough of one, or too much of one?

I started at the gym last Sunday, and have been eating VERY healthy since then and have lost 9 lbs so far - though I'm assuming that's probably mostly water weight.

Anyways, any advice/tips would be greatly appreciated :)

I have been wondering the same thing myself but when I enter all my food and it is less then 1000 cal and enter that it is final MFP tells me that I eat below my needs so maybe you eat too little.
  • Katerina9408
    Katerina9408 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

When anyone clicked on you it showed deactivated. You need to eat at least 1200 calories a day to meet your basic nutritional needs, especially with the amount you exercise. Additionally, you should be eating back a portion of your exercise calories.

If I work out like 300 cal and I am on defficit of 300 cal is it good ?
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing solids and measuring liquids? If yes, and you're actually eating 800 calories a day, then that's not enough.

If no, you're probably eating more than 800 calories.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Now, given that I eat about 800 calories a day, and burn between 300-600 calories while at the gym, what might my estimated weight loss look like?

It would be extremely rapid.

If it's not, you're eating more than you think and burning less than you think.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Do people really have this much of a hard time understanding what the word GOAL means. Like hit it...why on earth do you think you need to undershoot it by 100s of calories and then burn off more with exercise on top of that?

You do realize that your body has basic energy (calorie) needs right, and those are accounted for in your calorie goals. Your calorie GOAL already includes a massive deficit to lose weight...it isn't a maintenance number...you hit that goal without any exercise and you will lose weight.

What you're doing is incredibly unhealthy...you're basically providing your body with nothing.
  • zamphir66
    zamphir66 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    ^ Instead of calorie "goal," how about calorie "Bullseye."

tumblr_inline_n34kzhbEnF1rgw977.gif