Hello, I have a question about weighing Ribs.

Options
So i made ribs tonight for supper.

Before i cooked them i weighed each piece (with the bone in) to 100g each.

I logged this in my food journal as 334 calories per 100g. But of course i don't eat the bone.

So i guess my question is, what is the proper way of weighing and logging ribs?
Am i logging it correctly?

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    you would probably want to use the raw, bone in entry from the USDA. Those usually have a note though reading, "Meat only eaten" or along those lines.

100g of ribs = 100g of rib meat in the entries.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Eat the bone
  • dbmata
    Options
    for roast bones? No.

I do have a cook book from the 40s with a recipe though.
  • dbmata
    Options
    like I said, the entry gives values for the meat being eaten, which is what we tear off the bones with our toofers.
  • dbmata
    Options
    The USDA entry in the database.

Go to the food tracker, type in pork ribs raw, and look at the entry that does not have a * in front of it.
  • psmith_five
    psmith_five Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I have a similar question but pertaining to the difference in weighing food before and after cooking. Are the caloric intake the same or different when recorded weights are raw and cooked?
  • chouflour
    chouflour Posts: 193 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    You might find the actual USDA nutrient database useful for questions like this - http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/2602?fg=&man=&lfacet=&count=&max=&sort=&qlookup=&offset=&format=Full&new=&measureby= - you'll see the note "Nutrient values and weights are for edible portion" It will also tell you how much of the study pork was "refuse", making it pretty easy to calculate the edible portion (about 70g/100g of bone in)

(ninja edit, found spareribs instead of country style)
  • chouflour
    chouflour Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I have a similar question but pertaining to the difference in weighing food before and after cooking. Are the caloric intake the same or different when recorded weights are raw and cooked?

Yes and no. In theory if you weigh something raw, cook it, and then weigh it again - you should be able to use either the cooked or raw weight and entry to enter it.

However - many foods lose nutrients beyond water when they're cooked. Fat renders out, vitamins are released into the cooking liquid, etc. If you're cooking/eating in a way that consumes the "lost" nutrients like a soup or stew - you probably want to use the raw entry. If you're discarding the loss - you'd want to use the cooked entry.