Looking for wheat/sugar free easy meals!

Options
What would you add? What foods fill you up without slamming your calorie budget? Today I Started with a healthy smoothie, and made leftover roast beef, cooked beets and raw carrots for lunch. Going my grocery shopping to get some high protein/low sugar/fat foods!
My list so far is
•spinach •frozen berries •almond butter •bananas •avocados •flaxseed •salmon •chicken breasts •sweet potatoes •lettuce •tomatoe •onion •ground beef •gluten free nacho chips •cinnamon sticks •Turkey sausage •low fat mozzarella
I plan on making "taco salad" for dinner and for lunch tomorrow.
I also have been making cinnamon water, as an alternative to sugary drinks. I boil water, then add cinnamon sticks until they bloom. Then I let cool and put in the fridge. Yummy and GREAT for weight loss!
I HATE the taste and texture of avocados, but they're so good for you. I started adding half an avocado to my morning smoothie, I can't even taste it, and it makes it SO creamy! This way I don't need sugary and fatty yogurt or milk to make it smooth, I just add water, berries, bananas and a spoonful of almond butter :) happy february!

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    People are going to ask you why.

However, if interested, I ate very little wheat or added sugar (lots of fruit and dairy, though) last month if you want to look at my diary. The main difference from how I normally eat is no ice cream or chocolate and no sandwiches or pasta (which I don't eat that much anyway).

Basics were: 2 egg vegetable omelet for breakfast with fruit and additional protein (often dairy) -- I eat this all the time, so nothing special about it for the month.

Lunch and dinner: meat (could be fish) plus 2-3 kinds of veggies and/or starch (usually potatoes or sweet potatoes, maybe beans, could be rice if you like it) plus maybe fruit or dairy. In the alternative maybe a salad with protein for lunch (I also like one from a local restaurant that has quinoa).

I do like avocadoes and eat them.

I wouldn't go low sugar/low fat, though. If your carbs are low you are usually better off with your fat higher than otherwise. There's no particular benefit to being super high in protein.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Unless you have diagnosed (key word is diagnosed- not suspecion based on something you read) there is no reason to limit sugar or wheat.
  • carlymaceachern
    carlymaceachern Posts: 16 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I should have specified! No ADDED or artificial sugars. I love my dark chocolate and eat lots of fruits and vegetables with sugar in them. I do have a wheat allergy diagnosed, though it is not anaphylactic, it is highly irritating and causes IBS. trust me if I could eat wheat I would!
    Diabetes also runs in the family therefore I am trying to eliminate the UNHEALTHY sugars that get us all so good!
    Hopefully now that that's cleared up we can get to what I was hoping for.. Meal ideas!
  • carlymaceachern
    Options
    Thanks lemurcatt12 ! Feel free to add me
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    I should have specified! No ADDED or artificial sugars. I love my dark chocolate and eat lots of fruits and vegetables with sugar in them. I do have a wheat allergy diagnosed, though it is not anaphylactic, it is highly irritating and causes IBS. trust me if I could eat wheat I would!
    Diabetes also runs in the family therefore I am trying to eliminate the UNHEALTHY sugars that get us all so good!
    Hopefully now that that's cleared up we can get to what I was hoping for.. Meal ideas!

Sugar is sugar. Added vs natural really doesn't matter.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    If you reduce sugar/carbs, you need to add more fats and oils.
  • notnikkisixx
    notnikkisixx Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest searching for Paleo or Whole 30 recipes on pinterest and customizing them as you see fit.
  • carlymaceachern
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I just prefer to put real foods into my body, and not processed. And sugar breaks down into fat and I already eat enough fats.