Where do I start?

Options
Due to mental illness, I'm unable to see a doctor to confirm, but I worry that I have diabetes or at the very least I'm pre-diabetic. I eat awful processed foods, sweets constantly, and I never get any fruits or vegetables. I'm very overweight and sit at my desk all day long for work, getting very little exercise. I want to adopt a healthier lifestyle, but it all seems very overwhelming. I've read that a diabetic menu would be focused on carbs and that's all we eat here breads, pasta, potatoes. It's what I love. I don't eat fish, but I do like chicken, beef, and pork. My husband and adult son have no interest in eating healthier. We have a limited food budget so I need affordable, healty options.

I basically have no idea where to start. I don't know if I can handle giving up all the foods I love, but I'm scared of diabetes as well. I would love it if somebody could take me under their wing so to speak. I'm 35 years old, roughly 5'4", and currently weight between 265 and 270.

It is my goal to get to a doctor to do blood and lab work.

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    I'd start by cutting just 10% of the carbs in each meal, or replacing them with a protein source. That should be pretty easy, right? Two or 3 months later, once that's a habit, replace another 10%.. and repeat every few months until your carbs are at or below 50% of your daily calories.

For the carbs you do eat, try eating a healthier version of them. For example, whole wheat bread & pasta instead of white bread and enriched pasta..

Try to add some veggies, perhaps with light dressing. Until your veggie intake is up to speed, take a multivitamin daily.

As far as weight loss, that's mostly from a calorie deficit, not the type of foods you eat.

• missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    You really need to get to a doctor as soon as possible; this is not something you should undertake alone, or with guidance of strangers on the internet who do not know your medical diagnosis. Diabetes can be very serious, and you need to have a plan specific to your needs, if you do have it.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Instead of worrying about what to give up, think about adding foods to your week. Each week try one new dish and then if it works, add it to your repertoire.
    Try dishes with pinto beans, lentils, garbanzo beans -- things like that because they are inexpensive and easy to cook.
    Do you like frozen broccoli or green beans? Those are relatively inexpensive.
    Add more fat and oils to your diet so that you do not miss the carbs.

• reginab1984
    reginab1984 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    What does mental illness have to do with seeing a doctor to possibly diagnose diabetes?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Why do you think you're pre-diabetic?
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Start here

"I eat awful processed foods, sweets constantly, and I never get any fruits or vegetables."

Cutting back on the processed foods and sweets and replacing them with more frruit and vegetables along with some protein from chicken beef or pork.
  • cakegoddess1
    cakegoddess1 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Start by informing those guys you live with that if you don't start taking care of yourself, they won't have you any more. If that doesn't do it then they can just get used to what you are doing. Take charge of your own life. Do it now...don't wait until you're my age (64).
  • Panda_Path
    Panda_Path Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    For me, I started by recording my food intake. Record whatever you eat here. That will give you an idea of how many calories you are eating without making any dietary changes. It is also good for a dose of reality. Recording your food is one change that can be made without altering lifestyle too much. From there (again what I did), I mostly changed the amount of what I ate. Such as, drinking 12-16 oz of soda instead of 20-32 oz. I also stopped buying snack foods to have at home (though I still buy them on campus from time to time). Having it in the house for me is the most dangerous temptation. Just don't even bring the junk into the house to begin with. This helped me eat less and not binge snack such as at night. Finally, I learned I could be within an okay calorie range by still eating junk, just less of it. This is probably not a good idea for someone with potential medical issues (as I still went over carbs often).

Meal planning is a good idea, when I was a caretaker for my mom when she was diagnosed with diabetes, I would plan dinner ahead of time using the guidelines for carbs per meal (I think it was 45g). We still had rice, bread, and potatoes but again we had less of it. And definitely more fruits and veggies. (Dinner was usually 1 protein, 1 veg, and 1 carb/starch) Perhaps slowly incorporate meal planning and healthier foods into your diet, such as planning one diabetic friendly meal per week and planning one veggie/fruit based snack every other day. It will be difficult to change habits at first, but it IS possible and can be done over time rather all at once. I have a Nutribullet that helps with getting veggies in my diet, as IMO it is easier to drink a cup of veggies than eat them.

Good luck!

What does mental illness have to do with seeing a doctor to possibly diagnose diabetes?
    She may have anxiety issues related to doctors.
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    It is best to talk to your doctor about your concerns. Diabetes, unlike popular belief, is not a cookie-cutter condition, and a diet needs to be tailored based on the person's needs, lifestyle, and BG targets.

A diabetic diet is no different than a "healthy" and "well-balanced" diet. There is a larger emphasis on non-starchy vegetables and lean protein, but starchy vegetables, grains, fruit, and unsaturated fats are also important components. The only things that are truly limited are saturated/trans fats and sodium.

The American Diabetes Association recommends consuming approximately 45-60g of net carbs per meal and 15-20g of net carbs per snack, but those goals might be different from diabetic to diabetic. A type 2 wishing to control his BG using diet and exercise might find that his BG is the most optimal when he reduces his meal/snack carbs to lower than the ADA's recommendations, while I (a type 1 adult) prefer to have my meals and snacks around 30g each with most of my carbs coming from fruits and vegetables.
    0067808 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I agree - you should go see the doctor, if only to put your mind at rest re the possibility of diabetes. If its ruled out, then you can really take charge of your diet and make fairly fundamental changes which will deliver results fast. If you do have diabetes, you'll be given guidance on your diet so that you can control your diabetes - my Mum was able to control her diabetes through changes to her diet. Don't put it off any longer - make that appointment as soon as possible and start 2015 at least knowing what you're up against. Good luck and God bless.
  • heyhey2015
    heyhey2015 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Contact your local Diabetes Chapter and maybe they can refer you to a lower cost clinic to first find out where you really are with your health. If you are type 2, they have all kinds of classes that are free and will teach you where to start. Plus that is a built in support group you can lean on if you can't get much at home. Good luck.
  • kekagel
    kekagel Posts: 94 Member
    Options

I suffer from OCD, anxiety, and agoraphobia and as such don't leave often. I'm essentially homebound. It is something I'm working on but it prevents me from seeing a doctor at this point.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Why do you think you are diabetic? The most common symptoms are:
    • Increased thirst and frequent urination. Excess sugar building up in your bloodstream causes fluid to be pulled from the tissues. This may leave you thirsty. As a result, you may drink — and urinate — more than usual.
    • Increased hunger. Without enough insulin to move sugar into your cells, your muscles and organs become depleted of energy. This triggers intense hunger.
    • Weight loss. Despite eating more than usual to relieve hunger, you may lose weight. Without the ability to metabolize glucose, the body uses alternative fuels stored in muscle and fat. Calories are lost as excess glucose is released in the urine.
    • Fatigue. If your cells are deprived of sugar, you may become tired and irritable.
    • Blurred vision. If your blood sugar is too high, fluid may be pulled from the lenses of your eyes. This may affect your ability to focus.
    • Slow-healing sores or frequent infections. Type 2 diabetes affects your ability to heal and resist infections.
    • Areas of darkened skin. Some people with type 2 diabetes have patches of dark, velvety skin in the folds and creases of their bodies — usually in the armpits and neck. This condition, called acanthosis nigricans, may be a sign of insulin resistance.

from: mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/type-2-diabetes/basics/symptoms/con-20031902

These symptoms can mimic other things too so you really should see a doctor for some lab tests.
  • reginab1984
    Options
    kekagel wrote: »

I suffer from OCD, anxiety, and agoraphobia and as such don't leave often. I'm essentially homebound. It is something I'm working on but it prevents me from seeing a doctor at this point.

Is it possible that you are also a bit hypochondriacal, thus the concern about diabetes?
    0067808 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Hi - I notice you're suffering from agoraphobia - could the doctor do a home visit? Or is it possible to get a home testing kit for diabetes? I don't know a lot about them but it might be worth exploring just to put your mind at ease.
  • kekagel
    Options
    I've always had an issue with increased thirst and have had blood tests many times that come back negative though not in several years. I do have many issues with my vision and well as always being tired. I get very little exercise and eat terribly though so that could cause fatigue. I also have hormone issues that could affect my vision. I don't think I have any of the other issues, possibly the increased hunger, but I eat when I'm hungry, bored, angry, happy, etc. To be honest, I don't know if I have diabetes or if I'm even pre-diabetic, but with the track I'm on, it's a very possible outcome that I would prefer to avoid.
  • earlnabby
    Options
    0067808 wrote: »
    Hi - I notice you're suffering from agoraphobia - could the doctor do a home visit? Or is it possible to get a home testing kit for diabetes? I don't know a lot about them but it might be worth exploring just to put your mind at ease.

The Reli-on home A1C test kit from Walmart is a reasonable price ($23 for a 2 test kit) and many people use it if their insurance will only pay for 1 or 2 blood tests per year instead of testing every 3 months. It is not a substitute for a doctor, but might help give you more information rather than just worrying.

• kekagel
    edited February 2015
    Options

Is it possible that you are also a bit hypochondriacal, thus the concern about diabetes?

My conditions are well documented and doctor diagnosed. I'm well aware of mental health issues and the possibility of being a hypochondriac, however I don't seek additional diagnoses for fun, hobby, or out of boredom. This weekend I had a scare with several symptoms all of which pointed to diabetes which has caused increased anxiety however I haven't jumped on a bandwagon claiming I have diabetes. It is a legitimate concern based on numerous factors and I'm only trying to arm myself with information until I'm able to see a doctor. Whether I have it or not, I do need to change my lifestyle and I want to be healthier. So in short, no this is not due to hypochondriacal tendencies. Regardless, what would that matter to you?
  • earlnabby
    Options
    Regarding eating better, baby steps. i started by just eating actual meals rather than grazing on whatever struck my fancy. I made sure I had 3 meals and 2 snacks a day, made from reasonably healthy foods (a sandwich, yogurt and fruit for lunch instead of chips and dip, for example). Then I started cutting down the less nutritious foods and upping the nutrient dense foods. Eventually (after about 6 weeks) I actually started logging and counting calories when I discovered MFP.

I know people who chose to go meal by meal. They first started eating healthier breakfasts, then added healthier lunches, and so forth. You want to build up good habits, which takes a while. Pushing yourself to change everything at once can be overwhelming for some people. Every change for the better is good, even if it is a small change. It gives you something to build on.
  • reginab1984
    Options

My conditions are well documented and doctor diagnosed. I'm well aware of mental health issues and the possibility of being a hypochondriac, however I don't seek additional diagnoses for fun, hobby, or out of boredom. This weekend I had a scare with several symptoms all of which pointed to diabetes which has caused increased anxiety however I haven't jumped on a bandwagon claiming I have diabetes. It is a legitimate concern based on numerous factors and I'm only trying to arm myself with information until I'm able to see a doctor. Whether I have it or not, I do need to change my lifestyle and I want to be healthier. So in short, no this is not due to hypochondriacal tendencies. Regardless, what would that matter to you?

Call it professional curiosity. I've studied Psychology and worked in mental health for 14 years. Indulging your anxiety with "what ifs?" is not going to help you.